Reload Thread: Quality of kicker zx amplifiers

wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Re: Quality of kicker zx amplifiers

Quote Originally Posted by Danometal View Post
    My wife has had '08 ZX amps for about 3 years now in her car. They are great. Very powerful, clean, have neat top mount controls, and run cool. Her mono's SSF is fixed @ 25 hz though. I don't like that, but that's the only con.
    You should have one of their 10ks and not be able to get the SSF lower than 25hz...

Stupid Loud.

cleansoundzz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good information to know.

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDR M12 on RF T2 12 @ 32hz
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

blobb454 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    You could get away w/ it up to 2008. I wouldn't try it on 09 or later.

The KX1200.1 were 1ohm amps. The SX were 2ohm as they changed sub wiring configs. SX were still very capable of handling 1ohm if they didn't protect on you. ZX will do it but you do risk overheating and smoking on you.
    Good info! thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kpetree View Post
    I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cleansoundz View Post
    Good information to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobb454 View Post
    Good info! thanks.

My local shop (where I've done all my stuff, except buy the TRFs) has been an authorized dealer for nearly 20 years. I was a huge Kicker person for the better part of the last decade and talked to numerous tech, sales and sponsor reps from Stillwater over the years. The only reason I know what I know about the capabilities of the amps is we have tested them, or thought about testing them in different configs and been told stuff that your typical consumer will never hear from Kicker.

They even replaced a couple Solo X spairs for me because I was the first person around to run them daily and I did stuff to the surround all their burp testing never showed them. They also straightened a couple of shifted pole pieces

Stupid Loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the '06 models had adjustable SSFs, and then went to fixed @ 25 hz after that. My wife's sub is sealed, so that really *****. Heck, my box is tuned to 25 hz, and I would be offended for my amp to do -3 dbs @ 25 hz, but it's beastly and clean otherwise.

Simple SQ System:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-117
    Active Crossover: Cache' CEX
    Front Stage Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-704
    Components: Polk Audio DB 6501
    Sub Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-1000m
    Sub: JBL P1224, 2.5 ft^3 @ 25 hz enclosure
    Rear Fill: Sony Xplod 5.25s on HU power lolz

NoKings is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've had a ZX1000.1 (06 model) running for about a week now after my MB Quart got wonky. LOOOVE IT!

Not sure why I sat on it for 2 years thinking my electrical wouldn't take it. It dims a bit but at 600 RMS running to my OA12 my system has never sounded better. I got mine used for $200 two years ago and I'm in love again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

My local shop (where I've done all my stuff, except buy the TRFs) has been an authorized dealer for nearly 20 years. I was a huge Kicker person for the better part of the last decade and talked to numerous tech, sales and sponsor reps from Stillwater over the years. The only reason I know what I know about the capabilities of the amps is we have tested them, or thought about testing them in different configs and been told stuff that your typical consumer will never hear from Kicker.

They even replaced a couple Solo X spairs for me because I was the first person around to run them daily and I did stuff to the surround all their burp testing never showed them. They also straightened a couple of shifted pole pieces
    I dont even have a stereo shop around me anymore.. Well I have one but, its not really full on stereo. Its an appliance retailer with a tiny area for car audio. Guys there are cool but hooked on Rockford. But anyway, Id love to be as involved in this as what you have been. I think it'd be a ton of fun.

I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I dont even have a stereo shop around me anymore.. Well I have one but, its not really full on stereo. Its an appliance retailer with a tiny area for car audio. Guys there are cool but hooked on Rockford. But anyway, Id love to be as involved in this as what you have been. I think it'd be a ton of fun.
    Involved, no. I'm just a nosy, impatient prick that won't accept the Reader's Digest version answer for anything. Whenever I was told anything by my shop, or by other people running Kicker gear, I checked into it. I was fortunate enough that Kicker and RF both have great respect for my local shop as long term good standing dealers. If it weren't for them, I would have never been able to get the information I have. The information I do have, by no means makes me an authority on this stuff either.

As far as your store, RF is still a good brand. MSRP is way too high of course, but that doesn't mean you can't get on those guys good sides and educate them along the way. There's plenty of good history to learn about RF too, I'm just beginning on that journey.

Stupid Loud.

cdc351jeferson is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

what shops are left in lansing none ? is the place your talking about ABC warehouse with the little stereo dept in the back with people who dont know jack ? been many years but i remember it well

headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cdc351jeferson View Post
    what shops are left in lansing none ? is the place your talking about ABC warehouse with the little stereo dept in the back with people who dont know jack ? been many years but i remember it well
    HA! yeah bro... Thats the one. Still there. it is the same **** place. Same **** carpet!

cleansoundzz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Involved, no. I'm just a nosy, impatient prick that won't accept the Reader's Digest version answer for anything. Whenever I was told anything by my shop, or by other people running Kicker gear, I checked into it. I was fortunate enough that Kicker and RF both have great respect for my local shop as long term good standing dealers. If it weren't for them, I would have never been able to get the information I have. The information I do have, by no means makes me an authority on this stuff either.

As far as your store, RF is still a good brand. MSRP is way too high of course, but that doesn't mean you can't get on those guys good sides and educate them along the way. There's plenty of good history to learn about RF too, I'm just beginning on that journey.

Your opinion matters because you have actually used Kicker amplifiers and have first hand knowledge of their reliability.

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDR M12 on RF T2 12 @ 32hz
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1, Epictr, Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Your opinion matters because you have actually used Kicker amplifiers and have first hand knowledge of their reliability.
    Exactly! And thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Exactly! And thank you.
    Thanks guys. They are really bullet proof. I just sold 2 KX1200.1 that were 10 years old. Never an issue, even after having voltage so low I soldered the ground on the slave amp to the input.

Have a 9 year KX300.4 that I purchased as a factory refurb. Never had an issue. Wired my Warhorse several different ways and she's never protected on me, and always put out more than rated at each configuration.

SX900.4 sitting in the garage, she's waiting on a twin and will be used in a big build down the road.

I would be hard pressed to ever change brands when it comes to amps.

Stupid Loud.

calebkhill is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy Wagon View Post
    Installing Kicker 650.4 and 2500.1 currently - my brother and I have been Kicker amp guys for the past couple if years (2007ish), he's deviated on a few builds and I have not. His reason was cost vs power in a sub application.

You might get some flack for the Kicker suggestion, though I can say I've never had one die on me.

I can offer a better review in the next few weeks when I complete the first phase of my build in using these amplifiers in an SQL application. Again, others disagree with the word Kicker in the same sentance as SQ.

The other great benefit is these things sell really easy used, and maintain value. If you don't like them, you won't be stuck with them. Alternately you coud always find a used one to try.........
    What all is going into this sql build. Im slowly but surely working my system into an sql as wll.

"When I listen to a stereo loudspeaker playback in my room and an auditory scene has formed in my mind, how would I know that what I hear is an accurate replica of an auditory scene that could be had at the recording venue? Or more generally, that this is an auditory scene that could have existed at all?"

Mommy Wagon is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebkhill View Post
    What all is going into this sql build. Im slowly but surely working my system into an sql as wll.
    Cadillac Escalade SQL Custom Build

That's my current build, it's taking far longer than anticipated. I have the gear just not the time. I'll be updating Sunday night (I hope), I should have time to bang out some more on this project on Sunday.

You'll catch flack for using Kicker, Alpine, JVC, and Monster in an SQ/SQL build - whatever you choose, just choose it for you.

It's only equipment, that's is an easy swap. Get the installation right - follow keep_hope_alive for reference.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast