Reload Thread: Bass knob. ???

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Bass knob. ???

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    It's true.

All of mine go right in the junk drawer of my toolbox. I either forego them altogether or use an inline RCA knob.
    Could you explain why?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Could you explain why?
    Very simply put... a bass knob/remote is a gain control. But it's just an attentuator. Meaning that it can't go past where the gain is set at the amp. This is a good thing, but playing with the gain constantly isn't. It can introduce distortion/clipping.

And inline RCA is basically a volume knob. It attentuates the input signal/voltage exactly how your HU would do it. It has nothing to do with your gain.

The other reason is that when bass knobs go bad, it can jack shit up. When an RCA knob goes bad, it's likely to just quit sending signal. And the failure rate on bass knobs and their cords are FAR higher than a PAC.

Bottom line is that you can abuse either, but like I always say... gains are a sensitivity setting, not a volume knob. So I don't want to use mine as one.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

bgowdy31 is offline I GOT LOUD FOR $648

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

[QUOTE=TaylorFade;8267040]
    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post

Yeah. You know... like preout voltage? It was like .3v or some shit. It wasn't much, but it was enough to notice. And not really anyting to be concerned about since you can just adjust the amp gain.
    ok i see

MY 95 BLAZER~(HIGHEST SCORE 147+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 OBSIDIAN V2 18'S ~ 10 CUBES @ 38HZ ~ SOUNDSTREAM TA1.3000D @ .5
    DC 220A ALT ~ 2 AGMS + 1 STOCK BATT ~ 4 RUNS OGA(2 POS & 2 NEG)

WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ELECTRICAL ~ 1 BATT(YELLOW TOP OPTI) ~ ONLY 6GA WIRE

2010 FCBC 450 STREET 3RD PLACE & 2011 FCBC 450 STREET CHAMPION
    TEAM UNRESTRICTED ~ MY YOUTUBE CHANNELS-> *bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131*

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    Very simply put... a bass knob/remote is a gain control. But it's just an attentuator. Meaning that it can't go past where the gain is set at the amp. This is a good thing, but playing with the gain constantly isn't. It can introduce distortion/clipping.

And inline RCA is basically a volume knob. It attentuates the input signal/voltage exactly how your HU would do it. It has nothing to do with your gain.

The other reason is that when bass knobs go bad, it can jack shit up. When an RCA knob goes bad, it's likely to just quit sending signal. And the failure rate on bass knobs and their cords are FAR higher than a PAC.

Bottom line is that you can abuse either, but like I always say... gains are a sensitivity setting, not a volume knob. So I don't want to use mine as one.
    I do agree with you, you are correct on most things, except for that. Do you mean when you are actually turning the pot? And while bass knobs may fail, their cords? I tend to think twisted pair wire is pretty durable.

Also, while these are very good points, the original question was about Bgowdy saying it hurt during comps. Why does it hurt during comps?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    I do agree with you, you are correct on most things, except for that. Do you mean when you are actually turning the pot? And while bass knobs may fail, their cords? I tend to think twisted pair wire is pretty durable.

Also, while these are very good points, the original question was about Bgowdy saying it hurt during comps. Why does it hurt during comps?
    In essence... yes. It's the same thing as turning the pot. You might as well have your amp mounted on the dash and use a little screwdriver. But like I said, it's only an attentuator. 100% on the bass knob is just getting to where the gain is set at the amp. So... if your gain pot is set for 2v at the amp, 100% knob will be 2v. Conversely, 0% on the knob may be 4v or whatever the most sensitive setting is on your amp because the less gain you have, the more input voltage your amp is going to be huntin' for.

So, why? Why do you want to attentuate the gains when you went through so much trouble to set them clean in the first place? You should run 100% knob 24/7.

The cords themselves perhaps. The jack, meh. Not so much. And gain knobs are usually proprietary which is ghey. Since I told you i don't use them, I can only go by the large number of fucked up knobs I've seen and all the jacked up noises I've heard coming from subs because of them.

How does it hurt in comps? All I can tell you is I'm louder with a PAC vs. a bass knob. I get more clean voltage with a PAC and higher scores. And that's all the explanation I need. If you like your knob, awesome. Rock it out. But I won't.

Or maybe I have no idea how a bass knob works and I just think PAC knobs are cute.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

armykyle1 is offline armykyle1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

LC-1 still FTW

Tfade explained it lol

Build
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/581952-2dr-zr-2-blazer-build-gfy-3.html
    Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/armykyle1

David62 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used it. It's set at max when the obtain is set. That way it can only go down . . . . .. . . . .

surfers paradise car hire
    Last edited by David62; 01-05-2013 at 02:41 AM.

pickup1 is online now Audiosystem,Dynaudio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I use the ones that come with the amp...some have clipping lights on them that might be helpful.
    Otherwise the Pac solution works great.

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCtC View Post
    I use it. It's set at max when the gain is set. That way it can only go down
    This

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

Closed Thread