Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Reload Thread: 5 ch amp

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: 5 ch amp

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    Take out the NX5. It doesnt do rated power. Id take out the DB Drive as well because it definitely limits you in what configurations you can run.
    As I asked before, I am curious why you say that. Other folks say it does rated power. My clamp meter says mine does rated power. Is there a review you are referencing?

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

whitedragon551 is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipx99 View Post
    As I asked before, I am curious why you say that. Other folks say it does rated power. My clamp meter says mine does rated power. Is there a review you are referencing?
    If you look around online Massive amps as of late havent been clamped doing rated power. They are all over rated by atleast a little bit. Your the first person Ive seen claim they do rated power.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    If you look around online Massive amps as of late havent been clamped doing rated power. They are all over rated by atleast a little bit. Your the first person Ive seen claim they do rated power.
    Interesting. Are you saying this for all Massive amps or just the NX5? When I bought this one I had inital concerns about how hot they get and it's true...if you put this amp in a tight space, it will get very hot. I moved it to a more open spot and it got no hotter than any other amp.

When I looked on DIYMA and here, I didn't see reviews from trusted members that claimed this particular amp doesn't do rated.

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipx99 View Post
    Interesting. Are you saying this for all Massive amps or just the NX5? When I bought this one I had inital concerns about how hot they get and it's true...if you put this amp in a tight space, it will get very hot. I moved it to a more open spot and it got no hotter than any other amp.

When I looked on DIYMA and here, I didn't see reviews from trusted members that claimed this particular amp doesn't do rated.

I think it's just the NX series. I have seen a test of NX4 in avtozvuk.com (Russian) showing that it does 65-ish watts at 4ohm and about 105 ish at 2ohm with a 14.4 battery, while the factory rating is 100/200. Now someone mentioned that Massive Audio's RMS watt rating may be still compliant with CEA standards or whatever, because Massive Audio may be doing its tests differently (perhaps with a speaker connected instead of a resistor) but still in an entirely acceptable manner. Nonetheless, you can't do an apples to oranges comparison because no one or almost no one else does this. Mind you, it's still a good amplifier, with very low THD at either 2 or 4ohm, good channel separation, etc. However, the wattage rating is totally oversold. Good amplifier, but highly sensitive to installation details since it's class A/B amp in a tiny package. In reality, NX5's output is about the same as that of Alpine MRX V60/V70 at best, but Alpine will run cooler since it's a Class D amp of about the same size.

Another giveaway is the recommended fuse rating for these amps. Someone posted on DIYMA a list of suggested fuses for the NX amps. For NX4, they recommend a 40amp fuse. If you do a survey of Class A/B amplifiers, a realistic output for a Class A/B amp is probably 4x60-80watts RMS at 4ohm on each channel with such current draw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't know about you, but I don't hook my amps up to a resistor, I hook the up to speakers.

I do get what you are saying. Also, take note that there appears to be different versions of this amp floating around. It's hard for me to know whether the one I have is an older/better one (like the ones reviewed late 2010) or the newer ones, where the complaints are more common.

Shinju is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Bummer I just sold a Memphis Baby Belle that would have been better then any choice on that list!

GL!

List of Ref's Just ask, Shinju on all Car Audio Forums!

Flawless Ebay Feedback User: Shadox2k2

thevic24 is offline my silence is deadly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dose it have to be a 5 ch??
    Would a 3ch work using deck power for rear fill...

Silently stalking you through glass....

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    Dose it have to be a 5 ch??
    Would a 3ch work using deck power for rear fill...
    Yes, this will work, as well a high output 4-channel with two channels used for fronts and two bridged for subwoofer that's configured for 4ohm impedance. Usually you want most sound to come from the front, not rear.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3