User Tag List

Closed Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Reload Thread: does the amplifier divide power.......

  1. #1
    Beatin''s Avatar
    Beatin' is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    does the amplifier divide power.......

    .......between multiple subs?

    This has been bothering me for a while.

    If the amp is giving lets say, 200wrms at 4 ohms to two subs, do both subs get 200wrms or do they each get 100wrms?

    Does it matter if the subs are wired in parallel or series, etc?
    Last edited by Beatin'; 11-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.







  2. #2
    goingdef's Avatar
    goingdef is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    There each getting 100, series or parallel doesn't matter each sub will see a division of the amps total rms output.



    electrical: Optima yellow top X 2 big 3 in monster OFC 1/0g high output alt by maniac electrics
    HU: JVC AVX-77 touch screen
    Front stage: RE XXX 6.5" comps
    front stage amp: Rockford T600.2
    subs: 1 Sundown ZV4 12"
    sub amp: Rockford T2500.1BDCP
    Enclosure: ported (by JayDubb757 )

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    .......between multiple subs?

    This has been bothering for a while.

    If the amp is giving lets say, 200wrms at 4 ohms to two subs, do both subs get 200wrms or do they each get 100wrms?

    Does it matter if the subs are wired in parallel or series, etc?
    are you wiring two 4 ohm subs or two subs that present a final impedance of 4 ohms? Power applied to the final impedance will be divided among the number of subs used.




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  4. #4
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    fun fact: if you have 2 subs, one rated for say 500W rms and another only rated for 250W RMS and they are Dual Voice Coil you can wire the "higher" powered one to a lower ohm load and it will receive more power. not reccomended, because its really easy to mess up final load calcs and you can blow ur amp among other things, but it can be useful(at least in my experiance it has been)

    Matt




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    fun fact: If you have 2 subs, one rated for say 500w rms and another only rated for 250w rms and they are dual voice coil you can wire the "higher" powered one to a lower ohm load and it will receive more power. Not reccomended, because its really easy to mess up final load calcs and you can blow ur amp among other things, but it can be useful(at least in my experiance it has been)

    matt
    huh?




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  6. #6
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    fun fact: if you have 2 subs, one rated for say 500W rms and another only rated for 250W RMS and they are Dual Voice Coil you can wire the "higher" powered one to a lower ohm load and it will receive more power. not reccomended, because its really easy to mess up final load calcs and you can blow ur amp among other things, but it can be useful(at least in my experiance it has been)

    Matt
    I'm pretty sure you are incorrect. The amp only sees a final resistance, and does not care how many subs there are. Unless that's a two channel amp, and each sub was on a different channel. But in that case, this is irrelevant in relation to the OP's question.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

  7. #7
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    lol, im actually right. yes, the amp "sees" a <X> ohm load. but <X> = A+B since electricity will always choose the path of least resistance the sub with the lowest "ohm load" will receive more power than the higher load one. ill see if i can dig up an old website that had a calculator just for this type of thing. its more of a home theater thing. not really applicable in a car, but when you have 3 subs in 3 different types of enclosures all playing a specific frequency range it comes in handy if u dont have a single amp for each.

    for example if you have 2 D4 subs. wire one of them to 2 ohms and the other to 8 ohms. if ur amp pushes 500W in theory the 2 ohm sub will get ~400W while the 8 ohm sub will only get ~100W. granted ur final ohm load will be something like 1.6 ohms, but when u throw in series and parallel wireing configurations you can come close to a 1,2,or 4 ohm load.'

    since 8 ohms is 4 times the resistance of 2 ohms, the 8 ohm woofer will get ~4 times less power. its Ohms law at its finest. oh and ohms law is Current = Voltage/resistance.

    Matt

    EDIT: http://speakerimpedance.co.uk/?act=t...age=calculator here is one calculator. not quite as shiny as the one i used to use. but still the same deal.

    Edit #2 http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ic/ohmlaw.html elecrtical law link. decent read if you have the time.
    Last edited by mat3833; 11-18-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added a link and added some math




  8. #8
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    lol, im actually right. yes, the amp "sees" a <X> ohm load. but <X> = A+B since electricity will always choose the path of least resistance the sub with the lowest "ohm load" will receive more power than the higher load one. ill see if i can dig up an old website that had a calculator just for this type of thing. its more of a home theater thing. not really applicable in a car, but when you have 3 subs in 3 different types of enclosures all playing a specific frequency range it comes in handy if u dont have a single amp for each.

    for example if you have 2 D4 subs. wire one of them to 2 ohms and the other to 8 ohms. if ur amp pushes 500W in theory the 2 ohm sub will get ~400W while the 8 ohm sub will only get ~100W. granted ur final ohm load will be something like 1.6 ohms, but when u throw in series and parallel wireing configurations you can come close to a 1,2,or 4 ohm load.

    Matt

    EDIT: Speaker Impedance here is one calculator. not quite as shiny as the one i used to use. but still the same deal.
    Ok, I could see that in parallel wiring. I would think it would not work in series though. In any case, I would think OP should not look into that, if he needs to be asking this question. Bad results will follow.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

  9. #9
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    fair enough. but it applies both parallel and series. anyways, sorry to get so off track.

    Matt




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    lol, im actually right. yes, the amp "sees" a <X> ohm load. but <X> = A+B since electricity will always choose the path of least resistance the sub with the lowest "ohm load" will receive more power than the higher load one. ill see if i can dig up an old website that had a calculator just for this type of thing. its more of a home theater thing. not really applicable in a car, but when you have 3 subs in 3 different types of enclosures all playing a specific frequency range it comes in handy if u dont have a single amp for each.

    for example if you have 2 D4 subs. wire one of them to 2 ohms and the other to 8 ohms. if ur amp pushes 500W in theory the 2 ohm sub will get ~400W while the 8 ohm sub will only get ~100W. granted ur final ohm load will be something like 1.6 ohms, but when u throw in series and parallel wireing configurations you can come close to a 1,2,or 4 ohm load.'

    since 8 ohms is 4 times the resistance of 2 ohms, the 8 ohm woofer will get ~4 times less power. its Ohms law at its finest. oh and ohms law is Current = Voltage/resistance.

    Matt

    EDIT: Speaker Impedance here is one calculator. not quite as shiny as the one i used to use. but still the same deal.

    Edit #2 Ohm's Law elecrtical law link. decent read if you have the time.
    No, you specifically stated using subs with different power ratings will receive different wattages....and to clarify, what about phase issues involving the use of different subs wired to different impedance in the same environment?




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  11. #11
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    re-read my first post. i only used the "RMS" figure to help make my point. i stated you can wire the higher powered sub to a lower ohm load to receive more power and vice versa. you could wire the "lower RMS" sub to a lower load and blow it if u wanted to. and when i did something like this i had 4 subs total at the time. i had 2 6.5" subs in Tapped horns, 1 10" sub in a sealed box, and a 15" sub in a really low tuned ported box. basicly the 6.5s played midbass and down to ~90hz, the sealed 10 played~90hz to ~35hz, and the ported 15 played 35hz and below. the crossover network was a pain in the ***, but total system power was only ~1K watts and it sounded **** good.

    and the phasing was basicly a non issue due to the crossover settup. there was some slight cancelation at each crossover point but a sinple EQ boost fixed that problem. :-)

    Matt




  12. #12
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    re-read my first post. i only used the "RMS" figure to help make my point. i stated you can wire the higher powered sub to a lower ohm load to receive more power and vice versa. you could wire the "lower RMS" sub to a lower load and blow it if u wanted to. and when i did something like this i had 4 subs total at the time. i had 2 6.5" subs in Tapped horns, 1 10" sub in a sealed box, and a 15" sub in a really low tuned ported box. basicly the 6.5s played midbass and down to ~90hz, the sealed 10 played~90hz to ~35hz, and the ported 15 played 35hz and below. the crossover network was a pain in the ***, but total system power was only ~1K watts and it sounded **** good.

    and the phasing was basicly a non issue due to the crossover settup. there was some slight cancelation at each crossover point but a sinple EQ boost fixed that problem. :-)

    Matt
    But OP will not be using crossovers, and both woofers will be playing the same frequencies. Issues. In your example, yes it could be useful with a bunch of equipment OP doesn't have. But I think it was bad judgement to bring up given the OP's knowledge level on the subject.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

  13. #13
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: does the amplifier divide power.......

    you are correct, it may be useful information, but it was un-nessecary in this case.

    Matt




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. **GROUNDING the amplifiers! More POWER?**
    By swollen_cu in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM
  2. How does a amp divide power between subs?
    By Bipolar in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 04:53 PM
  3. how much power does the Hifonics 1500d have
    By orphe in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 07:30 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 08:33 AM
  5. Does a cap pull power, when the cars off?
    By stones in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2002, 08:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum