Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Reload Thread: what does dynamic power mean?

  1. #1
    Darksteemer's Avatar
    Darksteemer is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Icon14 what does dynamic power mean?

    what does an amp mean when it says dynamic power it says it after rms power to me it seems that it would be the power straped to another amp because most of the time it says twice what the rms is???







  2. #2
    Julian's Avatar
    Julian is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    KC,MO
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    Same as Peak.



    Refs:
    sefugi x2, S.DeYoung, SteveMead, chillin, rebelfromva, Got160s?, JL Audio , mclerico83, and BIGJEFF64.



  3. #3
    btsteinb's Avatar
    btsteinb is offline Member



    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    yup dynamic power is the same as max/peak output



    Feedback

    http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/itrader.php?u=13232

  4. #4
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    i had it explained to me this way: RMS power is constant. say you are listening to a rap song with a constant 40hz bass tone. at max output the amp can give 500W to reproduce that 40hz tone.

    "dynamic" power is more or less what the amp can do for a burst. say you are listening to a movie, and you have the amp at max power, its giving you 500W of power reproducing conversation, general background noise, and whatnot. then a building falls, a gunfight starts, and **** starts blowing up at the same time on top of the conversation, background noise and blah blah. since you already had your amp at max output one of 3 things happen, the amp "protects" or it pushes the extra power needed to reproduce all of that extra noise for a few seconds, or it goes up in smoke.

    when u are buying an amp, always look ar RMS power. ignore "MAX!!!!" or "dynamic" power ratings. they can be very eaisely fudged.

    Matt




  5. #5
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    4,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    i had it explained to me this way: RMS power is constant. say you are listening to a rap song with a constant 40hz bass tone. at max output the amp can give 500W to reproduce that 40hz tone.

    "dynamic" power is more or less what the amp can do for a burst. say you are listening to a movie, and you have the amp at max power, its giving you 500W of power reproducing conversation, general background noise, and whatnot. then a building falls, a gunfight starts, and **** starts blowing up at the same time on top of the conversation, background noise and blah blah. since you already had your amp at max output one of 3 things happen, the amp "protects" or it pushes the extra power needed to reproduce all of that extra noise for a few seconds, or it goes up in smoke.

    when u are buying an amp, always look ar RMS power. ignore "MAX!!!!" or "dynamic" power ratings. they can be very eaisely fudged.

    Matt
    Bold is correct. The example you gave about the amplifier power during the movie was not so accurate. There's no way an amp is pushing 500W for dialogue. Peak power, or anything over RMS or where you set your gains to, will not been seen for a duration of seconds unless you are causing some type of distortion or clipping. We're talking milliseconds. The burp guys should know more about that than me though, they run their amps on the edge.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

  6. #6
    Darksteemer's Avatar
    Darksteemer is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    come on burp guy is i need your input !!!




  7. #7
    mat3833's Avatar
    mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    its not a "perfect" example. but then again even if u have your HU volume maxed on a bass heavy song. there is a high probobility that if you clamped your amps output, it would not be "RMS" the only way to actually run RMS power from an amp(or more for that matter) is to use a single tone(well, not exactly, but meh).

    but the movie example is fairly accurate if you ignore the obvious flaws.

    Matt




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darksteemer View Post
    what does an amp mean when it says dynamic power it says it after rms power to me it seems that it would be the power straped to another amp because most of the time it says twice what the rms is???
    as it has been attempted to explain, you can pretty much ignore max, or peak ratings...RMS is what counts. Some amps are designed to produce more output than rated, and it is a desirable attribute when shopping....take the Orion XTR1500D for example...it is actually capable of producing over 1900 clean, unclipped watts rms at 1 ohm, which is desirable to efficiently and cleanly handle the transient peaks inherent to music.




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  9. #9
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    4,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    its not a "perfect" example. but then again even if u have your HU volume maxed on a bass heavy song. there is a high probobility that if you clamped your amps output, it would not be "RMS" the only way to actually run RMS power from an amp(or more for that matter) is to use a single tone(well, not exactly, but meh).

    but the movie example is fairly accurate if you ignore the obvious flaws.

    Matt
    Tis true, music is dynamic. But we set gains with a clean tone for the highest output without clipping at a given frequency. So, yeah it's possible to be over RMS on musical peaks, but there will be some clipping present of varying degrees, which we try to stay away from.

    OP, if you are asking this question, bottom line is to not pay attention to peak ratings, only RMS ratings.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

  10. #10
    Darksteemer's Avatar
    Darksteemer is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    its all so clear now thanks for the input if anyone els has input about this let it be herd!!




  11. #11
    Dirtrider4eva's Avatar
    Dirtrider4eva is offline √\_The CaUsE__



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    4,289
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

    Re: what does dynamic power mean?

    dynamic power means if the amp ever puts out that much power itll explode.



    welcome to
    Where b-stock is the new a-stock
    TEAM WEST

Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. What does recommended power range mean?
    By maylar in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM
  2. what does Maximum Power 1200 Watts mean
    By d1reyad in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 07:44 PM
  3. what does dynamic power mean?
    By nativeboy in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 10:42 PM
  4. What does Alternator Capacity mean ?
    By pioneer in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-15-2002, 03:02 PM
  5. What does the W mean in JLs subs?
    By MarcBrev in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2002, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum