Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Switching trying different amps in the same car and system

Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Switching trying different amps in the same car and system

Say I have 2 different four ch amps and I want to try both in the same car and system, driving the same fronts and same sub ( 3 ch configuration) I guess even if they were 5 ch amps and a 5 ch configuration, the example still applies.

I set the gains on the first one and use it for a while, then I decide to install a different kind of amp in the same car system and sub set the gains on that one and use it.

If want to go back to the first amp I installed and assuming the gains were left the same way as it was when it was installed the first time, do I have to double check the gains again or should it be fine since when it was removed and stored the gains were never touched?

Anyone had any experience switching amps back and forth in the same car and system and setting the gains only once and just trying both without messing with the gains each time? I guess it's all about changing the HU settings and crossovers, but not messing with the amp's voltage gains as long as it is the same HU. Any thoughts or issues doing this?

Thanks in advance

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Switching trying different amps in the same car and system

Quote Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
    Say I have 2 different four ch amps and I want to try both in the same car and system, driving the same fronts and same sub ( 3 ch configuration) I guess even if they were 5 ch amps and a 5 ch configuration, the example still applies.

I set the gains on the first one and use it for a while, then I decide to install a different kind of amp in the same car system and sub set the gains on that one and use it.

If want to go back to the first amp I installed and assuming the gains were left the same way as it was when it was installed the first time, do I have to double check the gains again or should it be fine since when it was removed and stored the gains were never touched?

Anyone had any experience switching amps back and forth in the same car and system and setting the gains only once and just trying both without messing with the gains each time? I guess it's all about changing the HU settings and crossovers, but not messing with the amp's voltage gains as long as it is the same HU. Any thoughts or issues doing this?

Thanks in advance
    Well gain is there to match output voltage from your HU. As long as your head unit levels/settings did not change at all on the HU, then it should just be plug-and-play, since you already set your gains. But, if anything changed, then you would have to reset them depending on how much you changed it by. IMO, I would still check it though. I mean it takes like 10 minutes to know what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Well gain is there to match output voltage from your HU. As long as your head unit levels/settings did not change at all on the HU, then it should just be plug-and-play, since you already set your gains. But, if anything changed, then you would have to reset them depending on how much you changed it by. IMO, I would still check it though. I mean it takes like 10 minutes to know what's going on.
    Thanks I was thinking the same thing, Just check it again but sometimes we may just want to avoid that setting again and some amps have the dials softer than others and just a touch can make the voltage jump a lot either way in my experience when measuring the voltage. That means just moving the amp around can cause a different reading, other amps may not have that issue.

Another thing I notice is the voltage is higher if the gains are set with the engine on. Anybody set their gains with the engine off?

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
    Thanks I was thinking the same thing, Just check it again but sometimes we may just want to avoid that setting again and some amps have the dials softer than others and just a touch can make the voltage jump a lot either way in my experience when measuring the voltage. That means just moving the amp around can cause a different reading, other amps may not have that issue.

Another thing I notice is the voltage is higher if the gains are set with the engine on. Anybody set their gains with the engine off?
    When talking about engine on vs. off, it's all based on when you play your system. If you only listen with it off, then set it with it off. If you listen to it while you drive, if it's a daily, then start that bish up before you set gains.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

Closed Thread