Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Reload Thread: Amplifier Help

>>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Amplifier Help

That is what I was saying as well

Ditch the 3 sealed 10's, go with 2 - 15's ported, build a sofa / bench over the box for more seating.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goingdef View Post
    got to agree with this man you don't mix sub sizes and types period!
    Well I mean you could, but not without crossovers and processing that he will not be running.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by >>SQL<< View Post
    That is what I was saying as well

Ditch the 3 sealed 10's, go with 2 - 15's ported, build a sofa / bench over the box for more seating.
    Or, just have one bench in the second row and build a clamshell/wall in the back, since the doors don't open anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

poweras1 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was thinking on the clamshells doors. Also my dad agreed and we will sell the 3 10's setup and get a 2 box. Now i have a whole new set of questions like 2 box better than 4 box and 2 18's or 2 15's considering the same price range.

Brianyakno is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

4 15"s or 18"s would SLAM. But your whole budget will change as well as how much power you want to run. If you where looking at 4000wrms and 2 fi btl 15"s or 18"s you will slam that van apart and be happy. Also the SSA xcon or zcon. Sundown zv2 or zv3 would do perfect the zv4 would be ideal but those are still alil while before production. Nightshade v1 or v2 work. AUdioque is well priced aq hdc3's could work. DC lvl 4xl or lvl 5 as well altho i used a xl recone on a omega and wasnt impressed with the lows. I could go into 4" drivers but that again goes back to power. give a price range can go from there would love to see a mean van build let me know how much power and driver budget and what your goal is audio wise. GL on your endeavor bro.

***In progress soon to be installed***
    10" SUNDOWN Zv2 SPL Audio recone
    ELEMENTAL DESIGNS Nine.1
    Stinger spv70
    1.4 cuft box L ported to 30hz

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have a second regular car battery in the back soley for audio and compressors charged by the alternator. Also, i have 700 in the bank and might put all my christmas money on that so around 1700.I think i would get 18's over 15's just because of size and they look better. Is it better to but brand new or should i trust people on this site used subs?

JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poweras1 View Post
    We have a second regular car battery in the back soley for audio and compressors charged by the alternator. Also, i have 700 in the bank and might put all my christmas money on that so around 1700.I think i would get 18's over 15's just because of size and they look better. Is it better to but brand new or should i trust people on this site used subs?
    Generally this site is reliable with classifieds. For new subs id recomend two DC XL 15s, they are around 470 a piece shipped to our area. Then grab a nice 3.5k like the crescendo. That will leave lots of budget leftover for a box that can look as good as that one you have now..

** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

clickclickw00t is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

if you are new into car audio, do some research on power requirements before you spend thousands on equipment.

A $5,000 system will sound like **** if all you have is a stock battery and stock alternator with 4 guage wiring.
    You might be better off starting with a 1000 watt system and then building up from there.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clickclickw00t View Post
    if you are new into car audio, do some research on power requirements before you spend thousands on equipment.

A $5,000 system will sound like **** if all you have is a stock battery and stock alternator with 4 guage wiring.
    You might be better off starting with a 1000 watt system and then building up from there.
    So you are saying I should get a 2 15's or 18's box that would go well with higher end subs and get ok subs and amps now and upgrade as I get more money and more into it?

clickclickw00t is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poweras1 View Post
    So you are saying I should get a 2 15's or 18's box that would go well with higher end subs and get ok subs and amps now and upgrade as I get more money and more into it?
    One of the car audio concepts that I got wrong when I first started learning was assuming that your car battery and alternator puts out unlimited power. This is not like plugging a 3000W amp into your house and it draws 3000Watts. In a car, you are limited to the voltage of your battery and how quickly your alternator can recharge that voltage. As the amplifier draws power from your battery, the battery's voltage drops and therefore the amplifier produces less power. Your alternator charges the battery. If you are draining power faster than you can recharge it, you aren't going to get rated power from your amplifier or your subwoofers, and so that $400 sub and that $1000 amplifier will perform like a $100 sub and a $300 amplifier. Some amplifiers are made to put out rated power at 16V, some at 14, some at 12V. If you buy an amplifier rated at 2000W at 14V, you may get that 2000W during the first few minutes of play, but as the battery's voltage drops you are going to be getting less and less power. Unless you have enough batteries, or an alternator capable of recharging at the rate you plan on discharging, you aren't going to be getting what you paid for plain and simple. It took me a long time to actually learn this, so I'm just spewing some knowledge.

Don't buy a pre-fab box. Either do some research and build your own (like I did) or pay someone on here or locally to build you a good box. I would say a majority of the sound you get out of a subwoofer will be based on the size of the box, its tuning, size, and placement.

jasonbillnelson is offline LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GTFO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sundown is bringing the z.4 into production and their 10" model is supposed to be rated at 1750 rms if i'm not mistaken.

Here is the link to their prototype video - Z v.4 10" Model Prototype Test - YouTube

Three of those would beat up your van pretty **** good as long as you've got the power to back em up.

SSgt. Jason Nelson
    Andrews AFB, MD USAF

Dealt with audiobahn, sangthing, 93 saturn sl2, basswiigee, goodstuff, HomeGrown, 06gtmike
    HU: Clarion NX501 Nav Deck
    Amps: C2 Audio Recon 1.6, Sundown SAX50.4
    Speakers: MB Quart ONX216 Components - 2 full sets
    Subwoofer: 2 C2 Audio Team 1k 12"s
    Wire/Battery: SHCA 1/0 OFC--Shuriken BT-80 / BT-35
    Alternator: Mechman 320 amp

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My last post needed to be checked my a moderator because it had a hyperlink so no more hyperlinks.

Lots has happened since my last post, my dad met a guy that works at a electronics warehouse that can get all alpine brand 40% off so now my setup will be alpine.

Looking at alpines the only logical choice that would shake my van would be type x. Now we are thinking 4 type x with 2 amps or however many amps. Is it better to run 2 or 1 amp and what alpine amp setup eould be good?

Finally is a sound processor worth it? Alpine makes this thing that apparently makes sound quality better like it adjusts music based on your car. Look it up or tell me if it seems legit or what your opinions on it are.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3