Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Amp needed for upgrade

Hi all,

New to the site so I am looking for some reccomendations here. I am fairly new to the audio scene and have only built a small budget system and would now like to add on. I currently have an 02 PT cruiser witht the following. I don't need a blow your roof off system or one that an be heard a mile away. I just want a nice loud, clean sounding system. The current one below has enough bass for me but now need to jack the 4 main speakers up a bit more so am looking for reccomendations for a single amp to run these. Something around $100 or so would be great. I don't want to install more batteries or a larger alternator to run another amp. I currently have a stock mitsubishi alternator that says 120 amps on it and a standard battery.
    Currently have,
    1) Sony headunit Not sure of power ( was about a $80.00 unit)
    2) one 12" subwoofer fed with a JVC KS-AX4302 amp ( 200rms bridged 600 watt max) amp
    3) two upgraded 5-1/2" Pioneer door speakers 50W rms max
    4) two upgraded Polk audio rear speakers 4"x6" 60W rms max

Thanks for the help!

sjv13 is offline StayStrange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

Re: Amp needed for upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by jcraft View Post
    Hi all,

1) Sony headunit Not sure of power ( was about a $80.00 unit)
    - I have the feeling that this head unit, because of the price point, does not have 3 sets of RCA pre-outs, which would be helpful for hooking up more than one amp. Also, at $80 I have the feeling that amping the signal it puts out isn't going to sound that good at loud volumes. You might want to invest in a nicer head unit, which should also come with a nicer EQ so you can turn down the highest frequencies a bit if they get too harsh at the louder volumes you achieve with the new 4 channel amp.

2) one 12" subwoofer fed with a JVC KS-AX4302 amp ( 200rms bridged 600 watt max) amp
    - Peak power rating means nothing--completely disregard that spec when comparing and shopping around. If you get another amp for the door speakers, then you will be at around 500wrms (that's 200wrms sub amp + 300wrms 4 channel amp). That is no where near the need for a new battery or alternator. You need to start worrying about that when you get in the 2000wrms range. (wrms = watts RMS, just how I write it).

3) two upgraded 5-1/2" Pioneer door speakers 50W rms max
    - OK

4) two upgraded Polk audio rear speakers 4"x6" 60W rms max
    - OK

Thanks for the help!
    Check my notes above.

You will be hard-pressed to find an amp that fits your needs better than the Alpine KTP-445u power pack. I own this and it has worked wonderfully for me. It puts out 45wrms to 4 speakers (45x4). The cool things about this "power pack" are that it fits behind your head unit (usually), it does not require a power wire run to the battery, and it only costs $150 (that's MSRP, you might find it cheaper). I know you are looking for something around $100, but if you choose this Alpine power pack, then you will not need to spend the money for an amp wiring kit and you should also be able to install this yourself. The power it puts out matches up well to what your speakers can handle too. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Closed Thread