Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Reload Thread: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

  1. #1
    JoeK's Avatar
    JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ringtown, PA
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    I just mvoed my attitude into a new box and we decided to check over the gains. Being set with a -5 tone @ 50z, the DD1 was set to 56VAC. The DMM method shows i should be 38.7 (granted this tone is probably 0)


    What should i use? This sub is crying for more juice :X



    ** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702




  2. #2
    cyn's Avatar
    cyn
    cyn is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orange, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    I just mvoed my attitude into a new box and we decided to check over the gains. Being set with a -5 tone @ 50z, the DD1 was set to 56VAC. The DMM method shows i should be 38.7 (granted this tone is probably 0)


    What should i use? This sub is crying for more juice :X
    I'd use the DD-1 seems to be the right thing to use.. DMM is just a base measure from what i've read and been told.. O-scope/DD1 to use right



    2007 Chevy Impala LT
    HU: Clarion CZ500 Front Speakers: CDT HD6.1
    Sub: 15" SSA ICON Box: 3.6 cubes net tuned to 32hz Amp: Sub: ED NINE.1 / Front Stage: American Bass Hybrid 4chan
    [COLOR="red"]Sold To: Traded With : Bah ask around a lot of fscking people period.

  3. #3
    JoeK's Avatar
    JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ringtown, PA
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by cyn View Post
    I'd use the DD-1 seems to be the right thing to use.. DMM is just a base measure from what i've read and been told.. O-scope/DD1 to use right
    I still don't know the "how" of the DMM method is or how reliable it actually is. Now that im in a bigger box i should be able to consume more power



    ** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

  4. #4
    LBC's Avatar
    LBC
    LBC is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Audio Technix
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Where your amp clips is where it clips. It doesn't matter if your sub "wants more" or not. Your amp can't cleanly do it.




  5. #5
    cyn's Avatar
    cyn
    cyn is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orange, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    I still don't know the "how" of the DMM method is or how reliable it actually is. Now that im in a bigger box i should be able to consume more power
    DMM - measuring ohm/watts to give you the voltage range that should be clean.. DD-1 Reads and shows Clean Signal.. so eh DD-!



    2007 Chevy Impala LT
    HU: Clarion CZ500 Front Speakers: CDT HD6.1
    Sub: 15" SSA ICON Box: 3.6 cubes net tuned to 32hz Amp: Sub: ED NINE.1 / Front Stage: American Bass Hybrid 4chan
    [COLOR="red"]Sold To: Traded With : Bah ask around a lot of fscking people period.

  6. #6
    JoeK's Avatar
    JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ringtown, PA
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    Where your amp clips is where it clips. It doesn't matter if your sub "wants more" or not. Your amp can't cleanly do it.
    Well that i know, but im worried about getting the most out of my amp



    ** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

  7. #7
    rebelfromva's Avatar
    rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    the dd1s are known to not work. I'd use an o scope



    09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

  8. Likes ThatChevyGuy, CAT MAN, denim, hispls liked this post
  9. #8
    LBC's Avatar
    LBC
    LBC is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Audio Technix
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Well that i know, but im worried about getting the most out of my amp
    The DD-1 is known to show clipping at 1% distortion. Getting the most out your amp is your opinion I suppose. The variable is how long it lasts.




  10. #9
    DDtC's Avatar
    DDtC is offline High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    DD-1s are know to not work cause people don't know how to use them properly. Set your gain with a scope and use a -15db track and see what happens. The manual is written bad when it explains what each track is for.



    • 2010 Scion tC
    • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DD M4(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

  11. #10
    LBC's Avatar
    LBC
    LBC is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Audio Technix
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by DCtC View Post
    DD-1s are know to not work cause people don't know how to use them properly. Set your gain with a scope and use a -15db track and see what happens. The manual is written bad when it explains what each track is for.
    Lol exactly. Then you have certain people on youtube setting gain with -9db or whatever tone saying it's not "completely distortion free". Uhhhh what about if you play something through it recorded at -3db or even 0db? Won't that be crazy clipped an thus distorted? Lol. The problem is that people refuse to educate themselves.




  12. #11
    JoeK's Avatar
    JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ringtown, PA
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Problem is i cannot afford an o-scope



    ** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

  13. #12
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is online now Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Langdon, ND
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,424
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    I still don't know the "how" of the DMM method is or how reliable it actually is. Now that im in a bigger box i should be able to consume more power
    As a rule, changing to a larger box reduces power handling.

    The DMM method is commonly recommended because it's easy and repeatable. It's not foolproof, but it's decent and it's better than setting gains by ear for someone who has no idea what it sounds like when their amp is clipping. The math has to be accurate. It relies on the assumption that your amplifier can actually produce the desired power without clipping, and that your speaker will handle that much power in its enclosure. This is probably the main weakness of the DMM method. It also depends on the level of the test tone used.




    Small town service, family owned and operated. See our new mobile friendly web site at www.513electronics.com
    Home to CDT Audio's Systems Design Specialist
    Our CDT Audio dealer store, Clarion,_JBL,_Pioneer,_Precision_Power,_RE_Audio,_DB Drive,_Metra,_T-Spec, perfect fit speaker kits for your vehicle
    My system: Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610 x 2, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, QES-1220 12" x 2, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill

  14. #13
    JoeK's Avatar
    JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ringtown, PA
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
    As a rule, changing to a larger box reduces power handling.

    The DMM method is commonly recommended because it's easy and repeatable. It's not foolproof, but it's decent and it's better than setting gains by ear for someone who has no idea what it sounds like when their amp is clipping. The math has to be accurate. It relies on the assumption that your amplifier can actually produce the desired power without clipping, and that your speaker will handle that much power in its enclosure. This is probably the main weakness of the DMM method. It also depends on the level of the test tone used.
    Would you think an Attitude 15" in 4.2 cubes do fine with 1500 watts? (recommended is 3.5 for it)



    ** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

  15. #14
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is online now Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Langdon, ND
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,424
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Would you think an Attitude 15" in 4.2 cubes do fine with 1500 watts? (recommended is 3.5 for it)
    No clue. I hadn't heard of the company until today from your signature.




    Small town service, family owned and operated. See our new mobile friendly web site at www.513electronics.com
    Home to CDT Audio's Systems Design Specialist
    Our CDT Audio dealer store, Clarion,_JBL,_Pioneer,_Precision_Power,_RE_Audio,_DB Drive,_Metra,_T-Spec, perfect fit speaker kits for your vehicle
    My system: Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610 x 2, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, QES-1220 12" x 2, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill

  16. #15
    JoeK's Avatar
    JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ringtown, PA
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
    No clue. I hadn't heard of the company until today from your signature.
    It's a DC XL



    ** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DMM method not working
    By blackink in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 02:50 AM
  2. not impressed with the L5
    By Brock in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-01-2002, 12:25 PM
  3. Not happy with box
    By Sspider in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2002, 10:02 AM
  4. How should i wire my 2 15" L5 with a DD1 1200.1amp?
    By nofriends46 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2002, 04:41 AM
  5. jbl 1200.1 not good with ported box?
    By IMPP in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2002, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum