Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Reload Thread: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

  1. #16
    thevic24's Avatar
    thevic24 is offline my silence is deadly...



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    5,822
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Lucky for me, I have access to a nice Oscope at work..



    Silently stalking you through glass....




  2. #17
    shizzzon's Avatar
    shizzzon is online now I am who you think I am



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    The ONLY reason why the DD-1 sells is because of it's advertising technique.

    Word of mouth is still to this day the best advertising method and those who are not educated will purchase it because they understand what an LED means when it comes on and goes off but do not understand how to read...

    JL Audio is an example of this tradition too.

    Their W7 line has been selling for a decade now, probably longer and people still hoard them like it's the best thing out there for ungodly amounts of money.
    Why?
    Advertising...

    Let's break down a DD-1.

    You are paying MORE money for a DD-1 than you can for an oscope that does what? 1000x more things...
    So, basically you are paying $150 for an LED light..

    Pointless..

    But wait.. let's look over the device.

    So you set your gains with whatever reference amplitude tone you want to.

    IT DOESNT MATTER!

    Are you going to be playing music?
    IF the answer is yes, then the DD-1 is POINTLESS.

    I'm sure it doesn't say that in the manual.

    The reason is because music is dynamic and recorded at different levels of amplitude.

    So, let's say you set your amp using a 0db tone.

    Well, you'll NEVER get full potential out of your amp on music because music doesn't sustain it's amplitude at that level so you wasted $150.

    Let's say you set your amp using a -3db tone.

    Well, some music may peak or sustain over -3db depending on how it's recorded and then Bam! You are clipping.

    Using an o-scope is POINTLESS too.

    If you want to set your gains, you have ears, nose, eyes.

    These three things are all you need to do so.

    the CC-1, POINTLESS. Used to set crossover points.

    You know how to do it for $12?
    Get a DMM and probe the AC out.

    When the values start to decrease, your filter is sloping through the threshold setting.


    I hope I have educated some people on here reading this because I and many others i can assure you hate when people are taken advantage of in the car audio hobby. It's pretty much extorting money from people because they do not take the time to learn what they are purchasing or why they think they need it.


    This was not intended but since we are talking about audio accessories, if someone is going to spend money on something of USE, I'd consider SPL-Lab's SMART Monitor. Yes, I am SPL-Lab USA, but I will not blab on about the product to try and turn this thread over to a sale. I do not want to waste people's time with that.

    What it does is an active protection device for car audio. First one ever for this hobby. There are "monitors" out there but none that take action against faults in your install..

    no more low batteries
    no more alt overcharging
    no more xtreme clipping scenarios
    no more burnt coils

    Measuring, monitoring and most importantly, Protecting in realtime both AC and DC V and A, it's a preventative tool that keeps your equipment safe when unforseen things can\will happen.

    We R&D'd it for over a year and is about to be imported into the USA soon.

    Once we get them in, we will show the USA what this hobby has been needing. Peace of mind...

    Ok, i'm done ranting..




  3. Thanks denim, momofx thanked for this post
    Likes ThatChevyGuy, denim liked this post
  4. #18
    JoeK's Avatar
    JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ringtown, PA
    Age
    20
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    412 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
    The ONLY reason why the DD-1 sells is because of it's advertising technique.

    Word of mouth is still to this day the best advertising method and those who are not educated will purchase it because they understand what an LED means when it comes on and goes off but do not understand how to read...

    JL Audio is an example of this tradition too.

    Their W7 line has been selling for a decade now, probably longer and people still hoard them like it's the best thing out there for ungodly amounts of money.
    Why?
    Advertising...

    Let's break down a DD-1.

    You are paying MORE money for a DD-1 than you can for an oscope that does what? 1000x more things...
    So, basically you are paying $150 for an LED light..

    Pointless..

    But wait.. let's look over the device.

    So you set your gains with whatever reference amplitude tone you want to.

    IT DOESNT MATTER!

    Are you going to be playing music?
    IF the answer is yes, then the DD-1 is POINTLESS.

    I'm sure it doesn't say that in the manual.

    The reason is because music is dynamic and recorded at different levels of amplitude.

    So, let's say you set your amp using a 0db tone.

    Well, you'll NEVER get full potential out of your amp on music because music doesn't sustain it's amplitude at that level so you wasted $150.

    Let's say you set your amp using a -3db tone.

    Well, some music may peak or sustain over -3db depending on how it's recorded and then Bam! You are clipping.

    Using an o-scope is POINTLESS too.

    If you want to set your gains, you have ears, nose, eyes.

    These three things are all you need to do so.

    the CC-1, POINTLESS. Used to set crossover points.

    You know how to do it for $12?
    Get a DMM and probe the AC out.

    When the values start to decrease, your filter is sloping through the threshold setting.


    I hope I have educated some people on here reading this because I and many others i can assure you hate when people are taken advantage of in the car audio hobby. It's pretty much extorting money from people because they do not take the time to learn what they are purchasing or why they think they need it.


    This was not intended but since we are talking about audio accessories, if someone is going to spend money on something of USE, I'd consider SPL-Lab's SMART Monitor. Yes, I am SPL-Lab USA, but I will not blab on about the product to try and turn this thread over to a sale. I do not want to waste people's time with that.

    What it does is an active protection device for car audio. First one ever for this hobby. There are "monitors" out there but none that take action against faults in your install..

    no more low batteries
    no more alt overcharging
    no more xtreme clipping scenarios
    no more burnt coils

    Measuring, monitoring and most importantly, Protecting in realtime both AC and DC V and A, it's a preventative tool that keeps your equipment safe when unforseen things can\will happen.

    We R&D'd it for over a year and is about to be imported into the USA soon.

    Once we get them in, we will show the USA what this hobby has been needing. Peace of mind...

    Ok, i'm done ranting..
    What does that tool do and how does it work?



    ** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

  5. #19
    shizzzon's Avatar
    shizzzon is online now I am who you think I am



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    In respect to keeping threads on topic, i will post the link to where the info is. From there, you can talk about it in the thread being linked-

    Group Buy SPL-Lab Meters + SMART Monitor




  6. #20
    CAT MAN's Avatar
    CAT MAN is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Roanoke,VA
    Posts
    8,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2373 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by rebelfromva View Post
    the dd1s are known to not work. I'd use an o scope
    this dd-1 has killed 1 amp 2 times for me




  7. #21
    rc10mike's Avatar
    rc10mike is offline I b sippin on sizzurp



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    2,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Just get an amp rated at 10x the power of your sub...then you can set the gain low and never have to "worry" about clipping it.



    Bought From:bad @SS chevy, kmanian, bpres9991, TurdFergueson2, donpisto
    Sold To:pcoff61, JoeSmith502, hemi4me?, weddlz, wp7456, cloudwalka, cx-7heaven
    Ebay: rc10zmoney: 100% +
    HU: P99RS
    HAT L1 Pro R2
    HAT L6SE
    SS HRU.4 and HRU.2
    x2 IDQ 12 Sealed

  8. #22
    momofx's Avatar
    momofx is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    557
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by rc10mike View Post
    Just get an amp rated at 10x the power of your sub...then you can set the gain low and never have to "worry" about clipping it.
    LOL then he might as well stock up on 10x more of the same subs too haha. Hey quick question thats related to the OP's post - Do you have to have the amp connected to the subs when setting the gain with a dmm or not. I always thought that without the subs connected, that measuring the amp output would give a false high reading since there is no real load on the amp...




  9. #23
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is online now Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Langdon, ND
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1232 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    The DD-1 appeals to people who don't want to know every detail about how things work. They want something simple and trustworthy, and SMD has built trust with a lot of people. So what if it's a simplified process that could be done with a "real" tool, the oscilloscope? Who's going to hold hands with those brave people who pick up an oscilloscope and then get that deer-in-the-headlights look when it's too complicated? This can be debated endlessly or we can realize that there are places in the market for different solutions. The customer is going to buy what they want, period.




    Small town service, family owned and operated for over 50 years. Our mobile friendly online store: store.513electronics.com
    Home to CDT Audio's Systems Design Specialist
    Perfect Fit Speaker Kits
    Our CDT Audio dealer store, Clarion,_JBL,_Pioneer,_DB Drive,_Metra,_T-Spec,_NAV-TV,_Crx
    My system: Clarion VX404, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610, JBL GTO-751EZ, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" 3-way, 4"/1.1" center channel, Audiomobile Elite 2212 ported, Clarion SRG-1622R

  10. #24
    shizzzon's Avatar
    shizzzon is online now I am who you think I am



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    I have seen both sides to this story and it's always the same.

    You cannot compare the DD-1 as easier to use than an o-scope.

    Why?

    Because you do NOT use an o-scope to set gains either!

    The same reason why you do not use a DD-1, o-scope or DMM.

    Music is DYNAMIC. Until people understand what that means, then they can keep wasting money.

    I DO AGREE with what you say when you say people will buy what they want.
    They buy these things because they do not know better.
    Then something fails.. Then what? Then they have to learn why.... then these tools are pointless for the use they are being used for.

    Many of us do not like companies to prey on the uneducated and make money off of that disadvantage.

    I'd rather educate those to better the hobby.

    IF people do not want to learn, then they need to pay someone else to do it for them that does know.
    Otherwise, they'll always have damaged equipment. It would be an inevitable consequence of un-education.




  11. #25
    maylar's Avatar
    maylar is offline Electrical Weenie



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
    I have seen both sides to this story and it's always the same.

    You cannot compare the DD-1 as easier to use than an o-scope.

    Why?

    Because you do NOT use an o-scope to set gains either!

    The same reason why you do not use a DD-1, o-scope or DMM.

    Music is DYNAMIC. Until people understand what that means, then they can keep wasting money.

    <snip>
    You absolutely can set gains with an oscilloscope, if you know what you're looking at and know what your goals are. You don't have to use a sine wave test tone - you can use real music and watch the peaks.

    It's difficult for most people to detect distortion by ear. Instruments like the DMM, scope or DD1 get you in the ballpark, hopefully without clipping and hurting anything. Yes, assumptions are made and yes, you can probably squeeze more out of your amps under dynamic conditions. So what?

    I'm not saying that your ears can be ignored in favor of some meter's reading. At the end of the day it's what the system sounds like that matters. But using measuring devices can help an installer set up a system safely and give you some peace of mind.



    dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

  12. #26
    momofx's Avatar
    momofx is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    557
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by maylar View Post
    You absolutely can set gains with an oscilloscope, if you know what you're looking at and know what your goals are. You don't have to use a sine wave test tone - you can use real music and watch the peaks.

    It's difficult for most people to detect distortion by ear. Instruments like the DMM, scope or DD1 get you in the ballpark, hopefully without clipping and hurting anything. Yes, assumptions are made and yes, you can probably squeeze more out of your amps under dynamic conditions. So what?

    I'm not saying that your ears can be ignored in favor of some meter's reading. At the end of the day it's what the system sounds like that matters. But using measuring devices can help an installer set up a system safely and give you some peace of mind.


    [QUOTE=maylar;8206792]You absolutely can set gains with an oscilloscope, if you know what you're looking at and know what your goals are. You don't have to use a sine wave test tone - you can use real music and watch the peaks.

    It's difficult for most people to detect distortion by ear. Instruments like the DMM, scope or DD1 get you in the ballpark, hopefully without clipping and hurting anything. Yes, assumptions are made and yes, you can probably squeeze more out of your amps under dynamic conditions. So what?

    EXACTLY. I was about to say that - those instruments are NOT made to make your setup "bulletproof" but they will get you close enough to be at alot safer gain level, ,WHEN USED CORRECTLY. Yes music is dynamic and a test tone will never be able to simulate the real world (unless you are just doing burps in a spl vehicle) but it sure does help!




  13. #27
    trumpet's Avatar
    trumpet is online now Supporting Vendor trumpet is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    trumpet is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Langdon, ND
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1232 Post(s)

    Re: DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

    Quote Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
    Many of us do not like companies to prey on the uneducated and make money off of that disadvantage.

    I'd rather educate those to better the hobby.

    IF people do not want to learn, then they need to pay someone else to do it for them that does know.
    Otherwise, they'll always have damaged equipment. It would be an inevitable consequence of un-education.
    I'm with you on that.




    Small town service, family owned and operated for over 50 years. Our mobile friendly online store: store.513electronics.com
    Home to CDT Audio's Systems Design Specialist
    Perfect Fit Speaker Kits
    Our CDT Audio dealer store, Clarion,_JBL,_Pioneer,_DB Drive,_Metra,_T-Spec,_NAV-TV,_Crx
    My system: Clarion VX404, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610, JBL GTO-751EZ, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" 3-way, 4"/1.1" center channel, Audiomobile Elite 2212 ported, Clarion SRG-1622R

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. DMM method not working
    By blackink in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 03:50 AM
  2. not impressed with the L5
    By Brock in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-01-2002, 01:25 PM
  3. Not happy with box
    By Sspider in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2002, 11:02 AM
  4. How should i wire my 2 15" L5 with a DD1 1200.1amp?
    By nofriends46 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2002, 05:41 AM
  5. jbl 1200.1 not good with ported box?
    By IMPP in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2002, 04:43 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum