Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: ?Precision Power 4 channels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

?Precision Power 4 channels?

Whats your guys' thoughts on a 4 channel Precision Power amp? Specifically the ones listed below:

PrecisionPower - Products - Amplifiers - Sedona Series - S760.4

PrecisionPower - Products - Amplifiers - Black Ice - BK800.4

They seem do be good quality from what ive read? any other input would be great. Thanks guys

REFS: mitchellz71, StateProp486, Fo0manchu, Xprime4, BushJ311, davidfre21, Twista89, hessdawg, jdawg, memphis_vette, Bad4Health, disturbed471985, rookanga, stereohead69, Austin175

NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Re: ?Precision Power 4 channels?

Im gettin the 800.4 next friday..great reviews do power amd good for runnin active

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I heard it mentioned that BK series design started from Soundstream rubicon board. Both seem like nice products. I'd take PPI Sedona over MB Quart offerings any day. Sedona's 23-inch length does seem a bit excessive for me though.

Firebird 1991 is offline Stroked

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

ouch, i didnt relize they were that long, that definetly puts the sedona series out of the pic for me.

REFS: mitchellz71, StateProp486, Fo0manchu, Xprime4, BushJ311, davidfre21, Twista89, hessdawg, jdawg, memphis_vette, Bad4Health, disturbed471985, rookanga, stereohead69, Austin175

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Someone mentioned the PPI phantom 900.4 to me but after researching it, i found its a class D. That wouldnt really work for a couple sets of components would it....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird 1991 View Post
    Someone mentioned the PPI phantom 900.4 to me but after researching it, i found its a class D. That wouldnt really work for a couple sets of components would it....?
    lol..it is a full range class d...and one of the cleanest made.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

It damm well better... cuz I'm gonna run my front stage with it. Class D has come a long way.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

BigSix is online now Whippin the Bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

im running the black ice 340.4 and I was absolutely impressed with it.....great amp!

Refs- Hrtbrk1,Kharps,BenzmanSl65amg,power-fanatic07,ryanm923,goindef154,subydude81
    cianzo,Sthib,FasFocus,Misfits
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    It's a fucking shame that you got caught up trying to steal from somebody, you lowlife piece of ****. I hope you fall, asshole first, onto a 14" combat knife that's attached to a 18v Dewalt drill...
    Quote Originally Posted by retrojordans View Post
    The MTs are just like the 05' XXX

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

quackhead- can you explain to me the difference in a class D and class A/B, ive always been under the impression that class D is mainly for pushing subwoofers, can you tell me whats different about the PPI 900.4? Im running 2 sets of Image dynamics xs57 components.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

quackhead- can you explain to me the difference in a class D and class A/B, ive always been under the impression that class D is mainly for pushing subwoofers, can you tell me whats different about the PPI 900.4? Im running 2 sets of Image dynamics xs57 components.
    Good comps..hmm..that is a very lengthy conversation, picture A/B as a linear analog amplifier and a class D as a switching Pulse Width Modulating amplifier. The class d converts the input signal into a square wave. The square wave is ran through output transistors (MOSFETS) that are switched either fully on or fully off at a very high frequency (250,000-400,000hz) and then through a low pass filter, right before the outputs. The LPF rounds out the square wave as it filters everything above the amplifiers usable frequency, in the PPI's case, 20,000hz. The primary difference is dramatically increased efficiency on behalf of the class D. The improved switch designs and filtering designs on the Class D's in the last few years is what has allowed them to be used in full range audio applications. PPI, Infinity, Alpine, Kicker, JL, IA,etc.(and many Pro Audio amp companies like Crown, Peavey, Carvin, etc.) all have full range class D amps out these days....but the PPI is underrated and very clean for it's price point. Is it my first choice for the best 4ch amp available? Hell no...but for the $/size/output, it is very hard to beat.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

11. Likes maylar liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

great info quack!!

On that note is there any other 4 channel amps out there with atleast 120rms per channel at 4 ohms that you would reccommend me looking into? thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

great info quack!!

On that note is there any other 4 channel amps out there with atleast 120rms per channel at 4 ohms that you would reccommend me looking into? thanks in advance
    Good amp for the $.
    AQ 120.4

IMO, Very good SQ amp for the $
    Multi-Channel Amplifiers Eleets 4ch
    Zuki Audio Eleets 4-Channel Amp Review

Better SQ amp for the $:
    WoofersEtc.com - Draconia III - ZED Audio 4-Channel Amplifier

money no object SQ amp for the $
    WoofersEtc.com - C2K-4.0X - Zapco Competition 4 Ch 600 Watt Amplifier

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

some interesting pieces of equipment for sure!! What about soundstream?! ive been reading alot about them..anything that compares to the ppi900.4 or anything better?

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

ouch, i didnt relize they were that long, that definetly puts the sedona series out of the pic for me.

If you're concerned with the size, consider PPI Phantom P900.4. It's a compact D-class amplifier. D-class amps are more efficient, so they run cooler, use less current, smaller heat-sinks, etc. I honestly have no idea how much difference there is in sound between class D and A/B. In my car, I currently use an A/B for my front stage, and this PPI bridged for subwoofer and rears (which I don't use right now). Maybe when I get bored, I will move my front woofers from the A/B amplifier to this PPI to do a comparison. I doubt there will be a lot difference, specially after running my head unit's auto-tune function.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    Good comps..hmm..that is a very lengthy conversation, picture A/B as a linear analog amplifier and a class D as a switching Pulse Width Modulating amplifier. The class d converts the input signal into a square wave. The square wave is ran through output transistors (MOSFETS) that are switched either fully on or fully off at a very high frequency (250,000-400,000hz) and then through a low pass filter, right before the outputs. The LPF rounds out the square wave as it filters everything above the amplifiers usable frequency, in the PPI's case, 20,000hz. The primary difference is dramatically increased efficiency on behalf of the class D. The improved switch designs and filtering designs on the Class D's in the last few years is what has allowed them to be used in full range audio applications. PPI, Infinity, Alpine, Kicker, JL, IA,etc.(and many Pro Audio amp companies like Crown, Peavey, Carvin, etc.) all have full range class D amps out these days....but the PPI is underrated and very clean for it's price point. Is it my first choice for the best 4ch amp available? Hell no...but for the $/size/output, it is very hard to beat.
    I couldn't have done a better explanation... and I'm an EE.

I've been leery of Class D for years because of the reputation for low damping factor and distortion at high frequencies, but that rep is waay outdated with the current generation of amps. Technology marches on.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast