Closed Thread

Reload Thread: PDX V9 sub output

Sonic. is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PDX V9 sub output

Due to space limitation I have to resort to a compact 5 channel amp, I have looked at both the alpine pdx v9 and the JL HD 900/5. Now the Jl is really out of my budget but if I had the money I would have consider the Zed leviathan 111 over the Jl.

My question is for anyone who have experience with the pdx v9, does the sub output section do rated power? I want to run a 10w6 v2 600w rms @ 2 ohms and an active 2 way front stage.

Any help is appreciated.

kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Re: PDX V9 sub output

yes, I actually put one of these in not to long ago, small good clean solid amp, bunch of neat features like power reduction so it can cool, etc....i wouldn't hesitate.

3. Likes Sonic. liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kramer_212 View Post
    yes, I actually put one of these in not to long ago, small good clean solid amp, bunch of neat features like power reduction so it can cool, etc....i wouldn't hesitate.
    Thank you very much sir !

gunz4me2 is offline Bat Country

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have one and will introduce it to a bottle of tannerite if it does not sell on DIYMA.

1. It has the infamous HISSSS
    2. It has both a turn on and turn off pop

Aside from that, it does rated, comes with a birth sheet, and sounds like an amplifier from the 80s...

I used to swear by old school car audio gear, now I swear at it!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me2 View Post
    I have one and will introduce it to a bottle of tannerite if it does not sell on DIYMA.

1. It has the infamous HISSSS
    2. It has both a turn on and turn off pop

Aside from that, it does rated, comes with a birth sheet, and sounds like an amplifier from the 80s...
    I have read mixed reviews, some say no hiss no pop some say it does have them, now I am wondering if it has to do with the install or possibly the vehicles.

J31Rob is offline CarTune Netwerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Might be installation variables.. might be internal issues. If you're seeing quite a few reviews stating it exists.. then it sounds like a design flaw.

the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765
    CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0

Alpine / Sundown Audio / Sound Solutions Audio
    Audio Technix / CT Sounds / Execution Audio

8. Likes Sonic. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic. View Post
    I have read mixed reviews, some say no hiss no pop some say it does have them, now I am wondering if it has to do with the install or possibly the vehicles.
    Well, replacing it with a known working amplifier solved both the hiss and pop with no additional changes, so you decide whether it was my vehicle or install...

Prior to changing out the amplifier, I changed amplifier ground points 3 times, exposing shiny metal each and every time. I changed HU grounds 5 times, ultimately grounding at the same point as the amplifier. Still had noise. Grounded the shields on the RCAs thinking it was a Pioneer pico fuse issue, still had noise. I swapped HUs to a Clarion DXZ785USB, bypassed all previously run wires by wiring directly to the amplifier (power/ground/remote + different RCAs), yep still have hiss and pop. Pulled the RCAs, put a switch between the +12v and remote turn on lead, flip the switch on, pop, flip the switch off, pop. I plugged an iPod directly into the V9, as soon as I applied the slightest of volume, HISSSSSSS. Flip the switch, pop.

I should have just gone with another JL Audio HD900/5 because my last one didn't have problems and I have better faith in JL Audio's customer service department. I never needed it, but it beats the heck out of sending an amp in with noise issues then having it sent back saying that it operates within spec (*cough*, *choke*, PDX-5)...

ETA: Oh well, I just ended up using two spare Lunar Amplifiers that I was thinking about selling. A L450 for the mid and tweet along with a L100x2 bridged to the sub. Sure, they are inefficient class ab amplifiers, but they have no associated noise issues. I feel sorry for my buddy who was going to buy them from me though, lol.
    Last edited by gunz4me2; 10-05-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: More Info

10. Likes Sonic. liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, replacing it with a known working amplifier solved both the hiss and pop with no additional changes, so you decide whether it was my vehicle or install...

Prior to changing out the amplifier, I changed amplifier ground points 3 times, exposing shiny metal each and every time. I changed HU grounds 5 times, ultimately grounding at the same point as the amplifier. Still had noise. Grounded the shields on the RCAs thinking it was a Pioneer pico fuse issue, still had noise. I swapped HUs to a Clarion DXZ785USB, bypassed all previously run wires by wiring directly to the amplifier (power/ground/remote + different RCAs), yep still have hiss and pop. Pulled the RCAs, put a switch between the +12v and remote turn on lead, flip the switch on, pop, flip the switch off, pop. I plugged an iPod directly into the V9, as soon as I applied the slightest of volume, HISSSSSSS. Flip the switch, pop.

I should have just gone with another JL Audio HD900/5 because my last one didn't have problems and I have better faith in JL Audio's customer service department. I never needed it, but it beats the heck out of sending an amp in with noise issues then having it sent back saying that it operates within spec (*cough*, *choke*, PDX-5)...

ETA: Oh well, I just ended up using two spare Lunar Amplifiers that I was thinking about selling. A L450 for the mid and tweet along with a L100x2 bridged to the sub. Sure, they are inefficient class ab amplifiers, but they have no associated noise issues. I feel sorry for my buddy who was going to buy them from me though, lol.
    Thanks for the kind info, now I am pondering ..lol...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J31Rob View Post
    Might be installation variables.. might be internal issues. If you're seeing quite a few reviews stating it exists.. then it sounds like a design flaw.
    That could verry well be it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kramer_212 View Post
    Did you get any pop and or hiss on your install?
    Last edited by Sonic.; 10-05-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Dag I thought they fixed the Hiss...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    Dag I thought they fixed the Hiss...
    As did I. The local Alpine rep better hope I don't run into him until I cool down because I want to string him up by his nads right now! He assured me that the noise issues were a thing of the past. Lying sack of ish...

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

As did I. The local Alpine rep better hope I don't run into him until I cool down because I want to string him up by his nads right now! He assured me that the noise issues were a thing of the past. Lying sack of ish...
    I was JUST talking about buying the new v9 right before I read this thread....glad I did. Gonna go JL HD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the PDX V9 is out, I would going with the JL HD 900/5 over the Zed, because the Zed when bridged can only be used with a minimum 4 ohm load and my sub would be either 2 or 8 ohm, hence the JL amp would fit the slot nicely, more money but am sure it's well worth it.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Closed Thread