Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Reload Thread: Best budget amp for the money?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Best budget amp for the money?

Kicker 500.1 $160 shipped, excellent condition

mcarlos95 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@naughtyca
    I found the JBL sub for $115 online w/ free shipping.

@quackhead
    You guys really spoiled me with the cheaper amp, found it for $121. Great price, but apparently it's not good? The other amps you just recommended seem great but they are more than double the price and would take longer to purchase. I've never had sub in the trunk and have actually been impressed by a walmart sub. For the price, what's a good amp that can match the JBL sub listed? What would you recommend for something a little cheaper?

@audiobaun
    D4 for 1 ohm and D2 for 2ohm. For the current amp and sub(APSM-1500 + JBL MS12D), what should I do? What if I plan on buying a second sub with this same amp?
    I looked up the Soundstream RUB1.700 and it costs $161. Not bad, but would you say it's worth it for this sub?

@Brownvanman
    So do you think if I were to get the APSM and JBL sub, I'd need a second battery? For the sub you listed, isn't that way to cheap to not be crap? Says 400W RMS which is hard to believe.

Thanks for everyones' help. I greatly appreciate it+any extra tips given.

CHEMMINS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcarlos95 View Post
    Nice, $107. Does anyone else agree with this? Are there other better ones or should I stick to this.

Also, there are different "guages" for power wires no? What will I need?
    @cthedinger ;

He also needs a sub.....

References:
    kmarei, ge_off_me, AudioPipe, slim2fattycake, Louisiana_CRX, ARMed&Bangin, EXTREMECHEVYMAN, Dpc69ss, Psychoacoustics, Shinju, jonny101abc, snoopdan

BUYING SILVER TOP TRF MOTORS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

@naughtyca
    I found the JBL sub for $115 online w/ free shipping.

@quackhead
    You guys really spoiled me with the cheaper amp, found it for $121. Great price, but apparently it's not good? The other amps you just recommended seem great but they are more than double the price and would take longer to purchase. I've never had sub in the trunk and have actually been impressed by a walmart sub. For the price, what's a good amp that can match the JBL sub listed? What would you recommend for something a little cheaper?
    I ran a AQ2200D for 4yrs without any issues...AQ amps are bulletproof and do rated+ clean power.
    AQ750 Amplifier

I do not know why you are so fixiated with the JBL M series, but whatever floats your boat..just don't skimp out on the power amp you choose.

4 gauge amplifier installation kit

I'd do this b4 that JBL..It will take 500+ watts like a champ, x2 would be even better
    WoofersEtc.com - E-12D4 - Sundown Audio 12" Dual 4-Ohm E Series Subwoofer E12D4

just my .02

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    I ran a AQ2200D for 4yrs without any issues...AQ amps are bulletproof and do rated+ clean power.
    AQ750 Amplifier

I do not know why you are so fixiated with the JBL M series, but whatever floats your boat..just don't skimp out on the power amp you choose.

4 gauge amplifier installation kit

I'd do this b4 that JBL..It will take 500+ watts like a champ, x2 would be even better
    WoofersEtc.com - E-12D4 - Sundown Audio 12" Dual 4-Ohm E Series Subwoofer E12D4
    Regarding the amp, I can't seem to find it anywhere other than one website. Not very well known or what?

I'm really pushing towards the JBL because I found it really cheap, and I've been told that JBL is a quality brand and for the money, nothing compares for the price(quality-wise).

The 4 gauge kit looks good, but since everything is already wired in my car, wouldn't I just need to replace the power wire? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll need an alternator right? Which one would be appropriate?

The subwoofer you posted, is it a good brand? I've never heard of that brand, but I don't know if that's a good/bad thing. I want something that can last and isn't complete crap(walmart).

Thanks.

jungstah is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

go with what quackhead posted. the E series is a very good sub for the money($100 range). and as for the AQ amp, the reason why you can't find it is because only AQ sells AQ stuffs. the amps are solid and won't let you down.

In car audio, big brands are not always what you want because the popular companies usually sell overpriced products. not saying the equipment itself is junk, but better can be had for the money.

You probably wont need a new alternator until you run 2k rms, most stock alts can handle a ~1000w system.

Pioneer AVH-P2400BT
    Stock Pioneer 4" components
    Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D
    Two SA-12's
    cruddy prefab ported box----new box otw

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jungstah View Post
    go with what quackhead posted. the E series is a very good sub for the money($100 range). and as for the AQ amp, the reason why you can't find it is because only AQ sells AQ stuffs. the amps are solid and won't let you down.

In car audio, big brands are not always what you want because the popular companies usually sell overpriced products. not saying the equipment itself is junk, but better can be had for the money.

You probably wont need a new alternator until you run 2k rms, most stock alts can handle a ~1000w system.
    You guys are making this tough I had my mind all wrapped around the JBL but when I go to look up subs from Sundown, I can't find a review that isn't 5 stars... So hands down the SunDown E-12D4 is better than the JBL I had mentioned? The brand has great reviews, but its hard to turn down a brand like JBL. The JBL is $116 and the sundown is $108.

The AQ750 will come out to around $215 shipped(that's if there's no tax). The previously mentioned amp(APSM-1500) is $121 shipped. Is there that much of a difference to pay close to double the price? I'd rather pay less and get the APSM but....

As mentioned above, my car is already wired. Will I just have to replace the crappy power wiring and put in a 4 gauge wire?
    So no extra alternator right?

FlexnInLa is offline Huggin Them Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You guys are making this tough I had my mind all wrapped around the JBL but when I go to look up subs from Sundown, I can't find a review that isn't 5 stars... So hands down the SunDown E-12D4 is better than the JBL I had mentioned? The brand has great reviews, but its hard to turn down a brand like JBL. The JBL is $116 and the sundown is $108.

The AQ750 will come out to around $215 shipped(that's if there's no tax). The previously mentioned amp(APSM-1500) is $121 shipped. Is there that much of a difference to pay close to double the price? I'd rather pay less and get the APSM but....

As mentioned above, my car is already wired. Will I just have to replace the crappy power wiring and put in a 4 gauge wire?
    So no extra alternator right?
    I'd take the Sundown sub for sure.

You won't be pushing the APSM-1500 very hard at all, so if budget is an issue that's where I'd go. It's not as good an amp as the others, but it will do the job.

Get a good box design, @Moble Enclosurs ; or any of the other designers here can help you with that.

New ride... new system...

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude

18" Obsidian Audio Sub in a Reverse Tapered Transmission Line Box
    Box Design by Mobile Enclosures http://mobileenclosures.jimdo.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, so I'm for sure going to get the APSM-1500 with the E-12D4. Probably doesn't even come close to what some of you guys have, but it's a start.
    This is a dual voice coil sub right, so this can be wired at 4 ohms with the amp right? and maybe eventually with another sub combined at 2 ohms?

I'll go buy the 4 gauge wiring right now and place the order for both amp and sub if everything looks right. That's all I need right? The APSM-1500 amp, Sundown sub, a box and 4 gauge wiring? I think I'm set to order.... Just waiting on replies to finalize....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Regarding the amp, I can't seem to find it anywhere other than one website. Not very well known or what?

I'm really pushing towards the JBL because I found it really cheap, and I've been told that JBL is a quality brand and for the money, nothing compares for the price(quality-wise).

The 4 gauge kit looks good, but since everything is already wired in my car, wouldn't I just need to replace the power wire? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll need an alternator right? Which one would be appropriate?

The subwoofer you posted, is it a good brand? I've never heard of that brand, but I don't know if that's a good/bad thing. I want something that can last and isn't complete crap(walmart).

Thanks.
    If you think AQ is expensive, look at comparable name brand amps:

WoofersEtc.com - S850.1D - Precision Power 850W Sedona Series Class D Monoblock Amplifier

WoofersEtc.com - P700-1bd - Rockford Fosgate 700 Watt Class-bd Monoblock Punch Series Amplifier

WoofersEtc.com - DTR1.900D - Soundstream Monoblock 900 Watt Class-D Series Amplifier

the difference between AQ and Audiopipe?..AQ makes rated power unclipped, Audiopipe APSM's do not. The AQ 750 and the APSM1500 probably share very comparable clean output levels...and we have not even discussed any reliability issues with the ASPM amps...you can search that.

There are reasons Ap is the cheapest class d amps money can buy. I would rather see you buy a pair of $50 subs, but it is ill advised to skimp out on the power that feeds them.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    If you think AQ is expensive, look at comparable name brand amps:

WoofersEtc.com - S850.1D - Precision Power 850W Sedona Series Class D Monoblock Amplifier

the difference between AQ and Audiopipe?..AQ makes rated power unclipped, Audiopipe APSM's do not. The AQ 750 and the APSM1500 probably share very comparable clean output levels...and we have not even discussed any reliability issues with the ASPM amps...you can search that.

There are reasons Ap is the cheapest class d amps money can buy. I would rather see you buy a pair of $50 subs, but it is ill advised to skimp out on the power that feeds them.
    The Precision Power you listed is $157 Refurbished, shipped on eBay. You think this would be worth it over the APSM 1500 for $121? I read a review saying that the APSM does have good power for the price, but he wouldn't recommend it as a daily-use amp.

The AQ750 and the 1200 look to have good reviews. I guess, since there is no real rush, I can wait for a deal in the classifieds on this site. Is it generally safe? Is buying used a problem at all? Some people might push them too hard no? or am I being to paranoid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The Precision Power you listed is $157 Refurbished, shipped on eBay. You think this would be worth it over the APSM 1500 for $121? I read a review saying that the APSM does have good power for the price, but he wouldn't recommend it as a daily-use amp.

The AQ750 and the 1200 look to have good reviews. I guess, since there is no real rush, I can wait for a deal in the classifieds on this site. Is it generally safe? Is buying used a problem at all? Some people might push them too hard no? or am I being to paranoid?
    Sometimes Paranoia can be a good thing. I would not buy a re-furb amp, heck I do not buy off ebay, but a lot of folks do, with success. There are trades done here everyday..take a look at CACO too..
    Car Audio Classifieds - Buy, Sell and Trade Car Audio Equipment

If this is a temporary deal, or you know if it is no sweat if the amp blows, get the Audiopipe...but if you want to buy once and not sweat over reliability, shop around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

FlexnInLa is offline Huggin Them Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Alright, so I'm for sure going to get the APSM-1500 with the E-12D4. Probably doesn't even come close to what some of you guys have, but it's a start.
    This is a dual voice coil sub right, so this can be wired at 4 ohms with the amp right? and maybe eventually with another sub combined at 2 ohms?

I'll go buy the 4 gauge wiring right now and place the order for both amp and sub if everything looks right. That's all I need right? The APSM-1500 amp, Sundown sub, a box and 4 gauge wiring? I think I'm set to order.... Just waiting on replies to finalize....
    I think you are on the right track. If you can budget it, get two of the subs and run them off the Audiopipe.

They are definitely not the best amp you can buy, but the issues I've seen people have with them are 1. user error, running below 1 ohm and 2. they clip when maxed out. You could get pretty loud on 2 of the 12's and not push the amp hard. I think you would be fine, and I doubt anybody would hear a difference in it and any other class D monoblock in a blind test in your application.

Audiopipe is kind of the bottom line of decent amps. Everybody would prefer a GREAT amp, a DD, MMATS, whatever... but budget sometimes won't allow that. If I had to I would run Audipipe, there are a TON of brands out there that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Like I said before, the box is going to make the biggest difference in how the sub performs... i.e. what you HEAR.

Skip lunch a couple of days, or a happy hour at the bar, and use that money to hit up @Moble Enclosurs ; or one of the other designers here and let them know what YOU want out of the sub. They can design the box that will make it happen for you.

By the way, what 4 gauge kit are you getting? Audio Technix, a vendor here, has 4 gauge CCA kits for under 30.00, just take a look in their sub forum.

Good luck!

New ride... new system...

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude

18" Obsidian Audio Sub in a Reverse Tapered Transmission Line Box
    Box Design by Mobile Enclosures http://mobileenclosures.jimdo.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FlexnInLa View Post
    I think you are on the right track. If you can budget it, get two of the subs and run them off the Audiopipe.
    Like I said before, the box is going to make the biggest difference in how the sub performs... i.e. what you HEAR.

Skip lunch a couple of days, or a happy hour at the bar, and use that money to hit up @Moble Enclosurs ; or one of the other designers here and let them know what YOU want out of the sub. They can design the box that will make it happen for you.

By the way, what 4 gauge kit are you getting? Audio Technix, a vendor here, has 4 gauge CCA kits for under 30.00, just take a look in their sub forum.
    e
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the info. Yea so by the looks of it, the amp wouldn't be pushed too hard at all. As for the box, I'll check out MobileEnclosurs work. For the kit, I'll check out the vendors on here, but I'd rather order from a retailer or buy from a store if possible. Time to shop around...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3