View Poll Results: more advice

Voters
2. This poll is closed
  • keep my setup as it is.

0 0%
  • forget about it and hook up my normal subs.

0 0%
  • take any advice given.

1 50.00%
  • don't be a ******* and get new stuff.

1 50.00%
Closed Thread

Reload Thread: my amp keeps shorting out, help please!!!

69HomieGpepsi69 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 my amp keeps shorting out, help please!!!

ok heres the deal. i have a 600 W. Jenson LXA amp hooked up to two 18 inch 800W max subs. i have the amp set on the low pass filter and the bass boost is on and i bridged the connections (A+ B- for right, C+ D- for left). i dont know if this really matters but my head unit (sony Xtreem) is giving out 54X4. my amp keeps shorting out after around 30 seconds unless i keep the volume set way low . it may be because i twisted the left and right wires together (+to+, -to-) into one connector . i am thinking about just hooking up one side (left or right) and bridging it as A+ D-, i dont know what this will do but i will try anything at this point. my school is having a bump-off to see who has the best system. please respond ASAP if you have any suggestions or if you know anything about amps. thank you for your help.

Peace,
    69homiegpepsi69

(xxx||:::an-the-man:::::>

imral3 is offline Sponge Bob Rules !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i am guessing that your subs are 4 ohm single voice coil. if that is the case i dont know what the hell you have done with the wiring but i will tell you how it should be wired. by the way the jensen amp is probably only about 200w RMS output. not very much for 2 18" subs (let alone any singular sub regardless of size). well anyway, without knowing the subs/amps brand, model, ratings, etc. here goes:

(amp left +) to (left sub+)
    (amp left -) to (left sub -)

(amp right +) to (right sub +)
    (amp right -) to (right sub -)

this will wire your subs in stereo to your amp. again, not knowing what you have, my guess is that you will unfortunately lose ths "bump-off". but there will be future ones. make sure you do not turn your amp gain level past 75%. tell us what you have - brand, model, specs and we can tell you how to wire it properly.

good luck and good listening!

L8r

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it sounds to me like you are trying to drive your amp in 2ohms bridged and you amp isnt capable of handling that kind of load...you can take the above advice or change one of two things..the subs or the amp..DVC subs would work better for a 2ohm stereo stable amp.

mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

Closed Thread

User Tag List