Closed Thread

Reload Thread: My amp is SUCKING my subs inward!!

substance is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 My amp is SUCKING my subs inward!!

I put 2 new TS-W1500spl 10's in my truck today and hooked them up to this old amp i had, Rockford Fostgate 1000a2. I had the subs wired series @4 ohms, Which the amp likes bridged. I jammed it for about 15 minutes. Then i blew a fuse when i was playing a bass test cd. i only had an 80 amp agu (i know my amp needs a 100anl or 2 50 agu fuses) But anyways, I turned the car off, put in a new fuse, and right when the remote came on, pop goes the fuse (blew 4 80 guage in a row). i put a new fuse in with the wires to the subs unhooked, and the fuse didnt blow, ( went home, check the wiring in the box, everything was perfect) I then ran the subs on one channel instead of bridged (fuse didnt pop), and right when the remote came on. My subs started SUCKING inward, really hard. and there was no bass. ( i even took a sub out and ran brand new wiring to it then to the amp and it still ****** in) When i turned the cd player off the subs when back to normal. I hooked the subs up to my old amp, and they work perfectly @ 4 ohms. So i know its not the subs, its the amp, any similar expieriences? or ways i can check to see if i could fix something in my amp?

What really trips me out, is how the hell did that amp work perfect and then start acting this way.?

2001 Silverado 1500 single cab
    Boston FS 6.5 Components
    Pioneer GM-X574
    2 JL W3 D2's downfiring
    Custom console vinal box (plexiglass top, cup holders ect..)
    HiFonics Brutus 1000D
    1 Farad Cap
    Fosgate Battery
    "Big 3"

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: My amp is SUCKING my subs inward!!

thats trippy stuff man. cant say ive ever heard this before or know ur problem. good luck tho lol.

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the guy at car toys used a multimeter to test my speaker impendence levels to check my total ohm load (and he said it was 1 ohm, but i dont know if that thing was working right or not, cause before that he was like 1.8 ohms, and now, without changing any wiring, the subs are running perfect on my PPI PC2600 which doesnt take under a 4 ohm load. I just want more power :-( One thing i forgot to mention, When my Fosgate amp was working, It was dropping my voltage down to ~12v when i would idle at a light, car would almost die. I had this same amp in my Suburban, and i had to get 2 batterys, rewound alternator and a cap, plus i have litterly burned myself on the amp before. So im guessing internally theres something really messed up.

Boston FS 6.5 Components
    Pioneer GM-X574
    2 JL W3 D2's downfiring
    HiFonics Brutus 1000D
    1 Farad Cap
    Fosgate Battery
    "Big 3"

DBfan187 is offline Supa's mom was here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

If your subs are 4ohms SVC the wire 2 subs in series to 8ohms(2subs as in a pair) then after you wire both sets to 8ohms, then wire them in parallel for a 4ohm load!

Hopefully that should help out?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

they are dvc

Boston FS 6.5 Components
    Pioneer GM-X574
    2 JL W3 D2's downfiring
    HiFonics Brutus 1000D
    1 Farad Cap
    Fosgate Battery
    "Big 3"

Rockman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by substance
    I put 2 new TS-W1500spl 10's in my truck today and hooked them up to this old amp i had, Rockford Fostgate 1000a2. I had the subs wired series @4 ohms, Which the amp likes bridged. I jammed it for about 15 minutes. Then i blew a fuse when i was playing a bass test cd. i only had an 80 amp agu (i know my amp needs a 100anl or 2 50 agu fuses) But anyways, I turned the car off, put in a new fuse, and right when the remote came on, pop goes the fuse (blew 4 80 guage in a row). i put a new fuse in with the wires to the subs unhooked, and the fuse didnt blow, ( went home, check the wiring in the box, everything was perfect) I then ran the subs on one channel instead of bridged (fuse didnt pop), and right when the remote came on. My subs started SUCKING inward, really hard. and there was no bass. ( i even took a sub out and ran brand new wiring to it then to the amp and it still ****** in) When i turned the cd player off the subs when back to normal. I hooked the subs up to my old amp, and they work perfectly @ 4 ohms. So i know its not the subs, its the amp, any similar expieriences? or ways i can check to see if i could fix something in my amp?

What really trips me out, is how the hell did that amp work perfect and then start acting this way.?

Sounds like some kind of DC offset voltage from the amp. Use the voltage meter again with no input signal to the amp and see if there is any DC voltage output at the amp speaker wires. Should be very very little if any..

Car 99 Toyota Solara SLE V6

HU Clarion DXZ835MP
    Front Speakers Infinity 6 1/2 Kappas
    Front Amp Crutchfield CR4X50
    Subs Kicker 12L7's
    Harrison Fmods
    Sub Amp PPI PC 2600's

whitcomb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i havent heard bout no ohm load or volt problem causing that
    , check you phase there are adjustments on your head unit(sometimes) and your amp there maybe a reverb switch witch is what wil fix you problem or if your + and - are back wards that cause your speakers to jump in instead of out, thats how people put there speakers int there box with the magnet out, by flip the + and _ around you change the phase, if you have trouble undering standing any of this email me and ill rephrase it, or if you have any other questions hit me up.....[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dont think his subs are moving back and forth, I think they are just being pulled inward. Only DC voltage would do that. A shorted output device that puts the power supplys DC voltage rail to the speaker wires would cause that...

HU Clarion DXZ835MP
    Subs Kicker 12L7's
    Harrison Fmods
    Sub Amp PPI PC 2600's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i took the amp into a shop to get repaired, i am still waiting for an estimate and to see what they come up with, but i did check the impedance level of my sub wiring and its 3.5 ohms, :-( so i guess my wiring is screwed up in there. the amp was only stable at 4 ohms mono and i had the gain cranked up, plus it wasnt mounted it was just wedged in between the box and the rear of my truck, so maybe something got bumped loose...

Boston FS 6.5 Components
    Pioneer GM-X574
    2 JL W3 D2's downfiring
    HiFonics Brutus 1000D
    1 Farad Cap
    Fosgate Battery
    "Big 3"

type1rsx is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

holy $hit! thats hella crazy... I bet u were like wtf... man what did i eat... lol

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

you WEDGED the amp between the box and the rear of your truck? what do you mean by rear of your truck? Did you ever think you'd get enough ventilation there, if you WEDGED an amp in there?

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman
    I dont think his subs are moving back and forth, I think they are just being pulled inward. Only DC voltage would do that. A shorted output device that puts the power supplys DC voltage rail to the speaker wires would cause that...
    Not to mention if they were out of phase from each other then only 1 would pull while the other pushed.

the guy at car toys used a multimeter to test my speaker impendence levels to check my total ohm load (and he said it was 1 ohm, but i dont know if that thing was working right or not, cause before that he was like 1.8 ohms, and now, without changing any wiring, the subs are running perfect on my PPI PC2600 which doesnt take under a 4 ohm load

Remember that the ohm rating of any speaker is an AVERAGE rating which changes all the time. So chances are there was nothing wrong his multi meter. If I were you I would wire those in series/parallel to show your PPI a 4 ohm load.

Adam

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Assassin187 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by substance

you blew a resistor in your amp. the only way to fix it would be to replace the part that is small as hell. not only is it small, you would also have to find out wich one it is it would be a real pain to fix

scott p jermsta is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

that is exactly happened to my buddys soundstream amp and alpine r 12 inch!!! it is a resistor that is dead!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

His isn't a soundstream amp though. But it sounds like you have it all figured out. He should send it to you to fix...

HU Clarion DXZ835MP
    Subs Kicker 12L7's
    Harrison Fmods
    Sub Amp PPI PC 2600's

Closed Thread