Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Reload Thread: higher impedance easier on electric system?

neo_styles is online now AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: higher impedance easier on electric system?

Quote Originally Posted by AxT4430 View Post
    Lol, yet another engineer on here!

Makes sense.. but by lower impedance you mean lower impedance being 4 ohm compared to 2 ohm, right?
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm an engineer. I work in an engineering department and do have to understand enough electrical/electronic theory to do my job, but I am FAR removed from the design category.

And think the other way around on impedance. The lower the number, the lower the impedance. That's why some amplifiers might be rated for 25Wx2 channels at 4 ohms, but are somehow able to crank out close to 1K at 1ohm bridged. The amplifier is more easily able to apply its power switching to take a low signal and produce a comparably large amount of power in output.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

AxT4430 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Basic Electrical Engineering. One of the first classes we take for my line of work.

As for impedance levels and efficiency, it's not overly complicated. Just think of what "impedance" means. Just like "resistance" is the ability to resist voltage, impedance is the ability to resist the flow of current. So at lower impedances, the system is easier able to accept changes in current.
    I was thinking you were explaining the concept of car systems being able to handle 4ohm vs 1ohm because the "higher impedance" @4ohm would resist more current and be able to fluctuate the different signals being presented by the headunit to the amp..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I was thinking you were explaining the concept of car systems being able to handle 4ohm vs 1ohm because the "higher impedance" @4ohm would resisiting more current and be able to fluctuate the different signals being presented by the headunit to the amp..
    No but I guess I did cover that aspect as a segue. Running your amplifiers at a higher impedance allows your car's electrical system to not be taken over because it constantly needs to be feeding load to your sound system. So, overall, the whole system (the car) is more efficient because it can better prioritize all loads instead of having to cater to the sound system specifically. In other words, the amplifier will get the power it needs without having to place such a heavy burden on the entire system. Savvy?

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

@neo_styles ; @pro-rabbit ; @ciaonzo ; @keep_hope_alive ; @Spooney ; @av83 ;

Just listing people I think could explain past common dogmatic beliefs.. Thanks for any replies!
    I'm not on the same level as these guys, but thanks for thinking highly enough of me to lump me in, lol.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

5. Likes AxT4430 liked this post
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Why are higher impedance's usually more effiecient with lower THD ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
    Efficiency drops as impedance load is reduced (same output power level) due to increases in current...
    the load current at 4 ohms is much lower than at 1 ohm. as you pass more current through the output stage you generate more heat.
    heat = lost energy.

it really does depend on the amplifiers in question as each is designed differently and has a different efficiency peak.

but in general, running an amp at it's lowest impedance rating is the least efficient method since output current is at maximum.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

7. Thanks AxT4430 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    the load current at 4 ohms is much lower than at 1 ohm. as you pass more current through the output stage you generate more heat.
    heat = lost energy.

it really does depend on the amplifiers in question as each is designed differently and has a different efficiency peak.

but in general, running an amp at it's lowest impedance rating is the least efficient method since output current is at maximum.
    Keep in mind he's talking about net efficiency of the system in this example. More heat is generated due to the higher current carry, but you're also talking about significantly higher amounts of current at each impedance stage relative to the one before it. So while a system can be 80-85 percent efficient at 8 ohms, it might drop down to 50-60 percent efficiency at 1 ohm, but the overall amount of current being passed is still larger.

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1

9. Likes AxT4430 liked this post
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    I'm not on the same level as these guys, but thanks for thinking highly enough of me to lump me in, lol.
    Same here. I wish I knew enough about amplifiers to build or fix them.

What I do know is that I love the sound of a very hot amplifier, lol. Probably a high bias thing. My dead head runs hot, my amps run hot... I keep my drivers cool, though.

Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

11. Likes av83 liked this post
    Spooney is online now Premium Member Spooney is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

I appreciate having my name thrown into the hat but I can't provide a more detailed explanation than Keep Hope Alive already has.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3