Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Reload Thread: Audiopipe APSM-1500 Protection for a few seconds?

LBC
    LBC is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Re: Audiopipe APSM-1500 Protection for a few seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    Your dad, most likely, doesn't know squat about car audio, lol. take my advice. ground on the thickest sheet of metal, that is as well-connected to the frame as possible, if you cannot ground to the frame itself. your ground is your link to the battery, which is the source of your current. you want to make it as easy as possible for the current to reach the battery.
    There are a couple of things wrong with this post. I'm not trying to rag on you, I just want to help so that in the future when you share information it will be as correct as possible. Sometimes the body is seperated from the frame with electrically insulating spacers. Sometimes to absorb shock etc. Then they will put an aluminum strap around both so that the electrical connection is made. The problem is, this strap is not good enough to carry lots of current. it's there for power windows, interior lights, etc. Not big amps. So there is never any substitution for a frame ground. That is the very least a person can do for their amp.
    Next, the source of all current is NOT the battery when the car is on. The source of all current is the alternator. The battery is only there to start the car. That's it's only purpose other than helping to make sure we don't drop below 12v.

KTMrida4life is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

Turn the +15 sub level down to 0, and then reset your gains. If you see any bass boost options, turn them OFF.

You can use any standard digital multimeter as long as it can measure AC volts.

1995 Nissan 240SX 5 speed , 37k original miles
    -Headunit: JVC AHD-69
    -Speakers: Polk Audio DB6501 comps
    -Speaker amp: Diamond D104 old school SQ made in USA, running active on the polks ^^
    -Sub: D4 SA12 in a 1.7~cube box tuned to 33
    -Sub amp: Sundown SAZ 3k @ 2 ohms
    -Electrical: 115A Nissan quest alt, Big 3 with 1/0, C&D 75ah under hood, Power 102aH in trunk.
    -Trunk, doors, and rear deck w/ AT 60mil. Doors are sealed. Trunk lid deadened with great stuff + SS Spectrum. Roof also done with SS Spectrum

3. Dislikes NoLoud4U disliked this post
    Quick is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    There are a couple of things wrong with this post. I'm not trying to rag on you, I just want to help so that in the future when you share information it will be as correct as possible. Sometimes the body is seperated from the frame with electrically insulating spacers. Sometimes to absorb shock etc. Then they will put an aluminum strap around both so that the electrical connection is made. The problem is, this strap is not good enough to carry lots of current. it's there for power windows, interior lights, etc. Not big amps. So there is never any substitution for a frame ground. That is the very least a person can do for their amp.
    Next, the source of all current is NOT the battery when the car is on. The source of all current is the alternator. The battery is only there to start the car. That's it's only purpose other than helping to make sure we don't drop below 12v.
    So how would you suggest getting from my trunk the frame? I'm willing to do that but will I have to put a hole in my trunk to feed it through? Thanks for the info and being nice about, I'm here to learn and I'm a complete noob. All information thrown towards me is takin in and consumed Do you think that could very possibly be the reason my amp is going into protect on low notes and at higher power?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KTMrida4life View Post
    Turn the +15 sub level down to 0, and then reset your gains. If you see any bass boost options, turn them OFF.

You can use any standard digital multimeter as long as it can measure AC volts.
    Alright will do. What about the bass level? It's kind of made for the tweeters but does effect my amp. Should I put it to 0? At 0 it distorts my tweeters earlier than when the bass level is on say -10. All bass boost on the amp are turned off tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    Alright will do. What about the bass level? It's kind of made for the tweeters but does effect my amp. Should I put it to 0? At 0 it distorts my tweeters earlier than when the bass level is on say -10. All bass boost on the amp are turned off tho.
    Your bass boost is affecting your tweeters? You do know the tweeters are the tiny little things that are about 1-2" big right?

If your bass boost is affecting your tweeters, then you have alot more problems lol. Your tweeters should be on a crossover, which is a little thing that directs the correct frequencies to your mid and to your tweeter.

-Speaker amp: Diamond D104 old school SQ made in USA, running active on the polks ^^
    -Electrical: 115A Nissan quest alt, Big 3 with 1/0, C&D 75ah under hood, Power 102aH in trunk.
    -Trunk, doors, and rear deck w/ AT 60mil. Doors are sealed. Trunk lid deadened with great stuff + SS Spectrum. Roof also done with SS Spectrum

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Your bass boost is affecting your tweeters? You do know the tweeters are the tiny little things that are about 1-2" big right?

If your bass boost is affecting your tweeters, then you have alot more problems lol. Your tweeters should be on a crossover, which is a little thing that directs the correct frequencies to your mid and to your tweeter.
    Ok I take that back, they effect my 6x8 speakers that are in the front and back of my car lol. But more bassboost on it, the more it distorts. Turning it up or down tho does effect the bass on the sub for some reason tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

Ok I take that back, they effect my 6x8 speakers that are in the front and back of my car lol. But more bassboost on it, the more it distorts. Turning it up or down tho does effect the bass on the sub for some reason tho.
    Do you have a kenwood head unit? What is the model #?

I was trying to help my friend with his system a few months back.. I hate all the stupid bass settings on the kenwood HUs, it gets confusing

bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $430.23

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1976 Post(s)

yea.... i knew i was right about the sub level needing to be set at 0 not +15

2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE -
    1 DC AUDIO XL-18 M1 DUAL 1 ~ 5 CUBES NET ~ 1-8" AERO ~ TUNED 39HZ
    SHARK 2500D @ .5 OHM DAILY ~ STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0

145.8DB LEGAL SEALED ON DASH

~2010 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~
    *BEST SCORE ~ 95 BLAZER 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRICAL*

R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

10. Dislikes NoLoud4U disliked this post
    slim2fattycake is offline rolling right along

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)

get the dmm and set it to ohms and check what ohm load you got it wired to the amp and then set it to voltage dc and put it on the positive and negative of the amp and blast it like it did when it went into protect.

SPL-Lab REP

Want an SPL meter for a lot less than the cost of a Termlab, but just as accurate and has more features and support? PM me.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Do you have a kenwood head unit? What is the model #?

I was trying to help my friend with his system a few months back.. I hate all the stupid bass settings on the kenwood HUs, it gets confusing
    Yeah the bass setting on my old panasonic was much better.

It's a KDC-MP345U, 50x4. Good HU I feel like but stupid bass :\

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slim2fattycake View Post
    get the dmm and set it to ohms and check what ohm load you got it wired to the amp and then set it to voltage dc and put it on the positive and negative of the amp and blast it like it did when it went into protect.
    You check the ohm load by just placing the neg and pos ends of the dmm on the neg and pos terminals for the speaker wire? It should be 2 ohms.

I bet I'm dropping volts is why it protect

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Do you guys think my tiny remote wire could be the problem? The opening on the amp was pretty big, like a 12 gauge wire could fit in. My REM wire is like a cm wide lol it's tiny. My dad said he just thought that the remote wire just sent a signal and that's all, and he didn't know why the terminal could be so big. He's not a car audio expert tho. Any ideas?

Also when I use the dmm while bumping hard, what voltage should I NOT be under when hitting hard notes? What's the lowest I should get.

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    yea.... i knew i was right about the sub level needing to be set at 0 not +15
    I've been looking up info on this all over the place online and getting different results. Some results say you are right, some say I am. My understanding is that it is has nothing to do with the sound processing, and everything to do with the rca voltage. Which means that the only way you can get distortion out of having it on +15 is if you have the gain on the amp up too high when setting it at that level. I wish someone that knows, for certain, would chime in...

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

16. Thanks NoLoud4U thanked for this post
    av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1254 Post(s)

Do you guys think my tiny remote wire could be the problem? The opening on the amp was pretty big, like a 12 gauge wire could fit in. My REM wire is like a cm wide lol it's tiny. My dad said he just thought that the remote wire just sent a signal and that's all, and he didn't know why the terminal could be so big. He's not a car audio expert tho. Any ideas?

Also when I use the dmm while bumping hard, what voltage should I NOT be under when hitting hard notes? What's the lowest I should get.
    It's not the remote wire. I'm pretty certain it's a ground problem.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Just run the negative wire from the front to the back, ground issue solved.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast