Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Reload Thread: Audiopipe APSM-1500 Protection for a few seconds?

Quick is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Audiopipe APSM-1500 Protection for a few seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by av83 View Post
    ummm, even if you had it on zero, and then set your amp gain, it would still bang just as hard, lol. you would just have to turn your amp gain higher. Don't worry about that. keep it at +15. turn off bass boost. turn your equalizer setting to all 0's. then use a dmm to set your gains with a 50 hz test tone. do you know how? do you have a dmm? I think the problem is your electrical. most likely your ground. where is your ground?
    I'm not using Bass boost, and I should turn all things like treble and stuff to 0?

I don't have a dmm, and I don't know how to use one. Never even heard of one tbh.

My ground is underneath a plastic piece that you unclip, there is a bolt with a big round washer and it had no paint, was just metal so I screwed the bolt down on top of the wire and the washer squished it good. My ground should be great.

CAT MAN is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

its audiopipe what did you expect? sundown?

3. Likes madcad95 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT MAN View Post
    Well I didn't know it was a bad amp. I just heard it was cheap and that's because it had spl and not so much SQ. I was fine with that. I didn't know they had like problems with functionality.

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    I'm not using Bass boost, and I should turn all things like treble and stuff to 0?

I don't have a dmm, and I don't know how to use one. Never even heard of one tbh.

My ground is underneath a plastic piece that you unclip, there is a bolt with a big round washer and it had no paint, was just metal so I screwed the bolt down on top of the wire and the washer squished it good. My ground should be great.
    First of all, just stop everything. you are going to mess up your equipment if you continue to dyi w/o knowledge and proper tools. second. buy a digital multi-meter. one from walmart or harbor freight will work, even if they're not the greatest. thrd, the ground cannot just be slapped anywhere, it must be on, at the very least, a piece of metal that is directly connected to the frame, or best, the frame itself. and keep your ground wire as short as possible. You didn't use a ring terminal either, did you, lol?

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CAT MAN View Post
    it's not the amp, lol.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

First of all, just stop everything. you are going to mess up your equipment if you continue to dyi w/o knowledge and proper tools. second. buy a digital multi-meter. one from walmart or harbor freight will work, even if they're not the greatest. thrd, the ground cannot just be slapped anywhere, it must be on, at the very least, a piece of metal that is directly connected to the frame, or best, the frame itself. and keep your ground wire as short as possible. You didn't use a ring terminal either, did you, lol?

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

it's not the amp, lol.
    Alright I will go to walmart tomorrow and buy me a meter, how much are they like 20 bucks?

Could you tell me how to set it or wait til I get the meter?

The ground seemed like a good spot, I'm going home with weekend so I'll tell my dad what you said about the ground and see what he thinks. He works in electronics his whole life so he knows a lot more than me. Prolly won't know about the dmm tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Alright I will go to walmart tomorrow and buy me a meter, how much are they like 20 bucks?

The ground seemed like a good spot, I'm going home with weekend so I'll tell my dad what you said about the ground and see what he thinks. He works in electronics his whole life so he knows a lot more than me. Prolly won't know about the dmm tho.
    There's absolutely no way anyone who has "worked in electronics" for more than a day doesn't know how to use a dmm, lol. It's a very basic tool. Yes, they're about twenty. you will need a good test tone recording as well. find one that is 50 hz. Stereo System Test & Analysis Tones by Nino B. and Multimedia Loudspeaker test are acouple of sources of recordings. You will play the tone at 3/4 of your hu volume with the gain on the amp starting at the lowest. with the dmm hooked up, set on ac volts, turn the amp gain up slowly until you reach 44v ac. that is what your amp should be set at, at 2 ohms, to make 1000 watts. and put a ring terminal on the end of your ground, for christ's sake, lol.

Pioneer 80prs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Your dad, most likely, doesn't know squat about car audio, lol. take my advice. ground on the thickest sheet of metal, that is as well-connected to the frame as possible, if you cannot ground to the frame itself. your ground is your link to the battery, which is the source of your current. you want to make it as easy as possible for the current to reach the battery.

Pioneer 80prs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

There's absolutely no way anyone who has "worked in electronics" for more than a day doesn't know how to use a dmm, lol. It's a very basic tool. Yes, they're about twenty. you will need a good test tone recording as well. find one that is 50 hz. Stereo System Test & Analysis Tones by Nino B. and Multimedia Loudspeaker test are acouple of sources of recordings. You will play the tone at 3/4 of your hu volume with the gain on the amp starting at the lowest. with the dmm hooked up, set on ac volts, turn the amp gain up slowly until you reach 44v ac. that is what your amp should be set at, at 2 ohms, to make 1000 watts. and put a ring terminal on the end of your ground, for christ's sake, lol.
    Alright thanks, I'll put a terminal. I always saw people not putting terminals so I thought it was best not too.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Will I hook the dmm up to the power or the speaker terminals or what? Sorry im such a noob, that's prolly a really stupid thing to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Will I hook the dmm up to the power or the speaker terminals or what? Sorry im such a noob, that's prolly a really stupid thing to ask.
    buy the dmm, and come back on here tomorrow. if i'm not here, there will be people here to assist you. plus, there are a lot of threads already devoted to this, and i'm pretty sure there is a sticky on it too, in the help 101 section. but, yes, you hook the positive lead on the dmm to the positive speaker terminal, and likewise for negative. good luck, and keep learning. noobness is a very expensive condition to suffer from, lol. ...but, we've all been there.

Pioneer 80prs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

buy the dmm, and come back on here tomorrow. if i'm not here, there will be people here to assist you. plus, there are a lot of threads already devoted to this, and i'm pretty sure there is a sticky on it too, in the help 101 section. but, yes, you hook the positive lead on the dmm to the positive speaker terminal, and likewise for negative. good luck, and keep learning. noobness is a very expensive condition to suffer from, lol. ...but, we've all been there.
    Alright I'll be back tomorrow thanks for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Alright I'll be back tomorrow thanks for all the help.
    No problem.

Pioneer 80prs

09civic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Just go on youtube and type in, "how to set gain with DMM". You'll find tons of shit on it.

I learned how to do everything audio related on youtube

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

No problem.
    Turns out my dads had a multimeter for a loooong time so this weekend I'll be going home and will do it then.

Do I need to take out all 4 speaker wires that's connect to the amp and read it on any pair of pos and negatives?

Or can I just check the volts as the speaker wires are in?

Oh another question (lol sorry for so many) On my head unit I need to turn my subwoofer level to 0 or +15? Also like the bass boost on level 1,2, or off? Then there's a bass level that I have turned down to -8 because my 3 ways speakers **** and distort with too much bass. Same with treble, I have it turned up not on 0. Do I put everything on 0 or leave it where I normally have it for everyday riding around?
    Last edited by Quick; 05-31-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 09civic View Post
    You're clipping the shit out of it because you're a noob. Use a DMM and set the gains CORRECTLY.
    How would I be clipping it btw? A dmm will probably make me set the gain higher then it is now, so how would under powering it with gain be clipping it? And wouldn't more power make my amp go into protect more since it can't even handle the small amount I'm sending to it now?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast