Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Calculating True RMS output!!!

Dozer is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Calculating True RMS output!!!

I just recently purchaced a planet audio p850d mono amp!!! It was refurbished by planet audio and although I am happy with the looks I am unsure of its power output!

My question how can I find the true rms output of this amp??? It says it puts out 600w rms at 2ohms and 850w at 1ohm....

I have to find out within a couple of weeks in order to send it back if it doesn't put out what it says it does. One local car audio shop guy tested it on his bench and said he thought it may not be putting out even close to what it is supposed to.....but he also said he doesn't have the equipment to test true rms!!!! SO I am concerned I may have a dud........

Is calculating true rms output really that hard??? Do you need expensive equipment to find it??

Can anyone out there help me? I really want to find out if the amp is legit or not. HELP!!!!!

What do I need to figure this out? Can I figure it out without equipment cositng thousands of dollers??

Thanks to anyone.....any info and feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Calculating True RMS output!!!

first of all what kind of load do you have on the amp? what's hooked up to it? how did you set the gain?

if you listen to a few systems you can get an idea of whether or not it's putting out some decent power.

krzyboy2o is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

good question Dozer.. im pretty sure a lot of members on here would like to know too..

8000x is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can do it with a dmm and amp clamp meter.

Dozer is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I am running an audiobahn bandpass ABP10 (yeah yeah...I know they ****) I have the subs in parallel so it is a 2 ohm load on the amp....that should be 600w rms......but sure does'nt seem like it....

I hooked my planet amp up to my friends sub that rocks his car off just one mtx 250w mono......and my amp made the sub sound like crap.....it was wired for a 4 ohm load at the amp which is 350 watts rms .....supposedly!!!....it moved it allright but gave it a "farting" sound and didn't get loud at all!!! I think I may have a dud....**** those refurbed amps!!!

Closed Thread