Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Reload Thread: JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2

  1. #1
    solarys's Avatar
    solarys is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    philadelphia, pa
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2

    Which amp would better suited to power a JL Audio 13W7 sub? The JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2. Any/all suggestions are welcomed.







  2. #2
    r0llinlacs's Avatar
    r0llinlacs is offline Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    89
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2

    I haven't had a chance to hear the HD1200/1 yet, but the other HD amps sound amazing. Distortion is a mere .03% at rated power, compared to .05% on the 1000/1. Also the 1200/1 signal to noise ratio is 111db, compared to 105 on the 1000/1.

    I can almost guarantee the 1200/1 will be louder and cleaner, so to answer your question, the 1200/1. The sub will handle 1500wrms, so 1200wrms will be louder and cleaner than 1000wrms any day



    Deck Kenwood KDC-X595 (For now)
    Mid/High Speakers Infinity 6x8 Coaxial's and RF P1 Tweeters in front doors
    Mid/High Amp Orion 280GX 2x80wrms (Old school)
    Sub Rockford Fosgate T1D412 12" 800wrms
    Sub Box 2.5 Cubic foot, high output, slot ported
    Sub Amp JL Audio 1000/1 v1, 1000wrms @ 11-14.5 volts

  3. Thanks solarys thanked for this post
  4. #3
    hotrod999's Avatar
    hotrod999 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    If I was up your ***, you'd know it!
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon14 Re: JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2

    Hi Solarys, R0llinLacs wrote:
    "I haven't had a chance to hear the HD1200/1 yet, but the other HD amps sound amazing. Distortion is a mere .03% at rated power, compared to .05% on the 1000/1. Also the 1200/1 signal to noise ratio is 111db, compared to 105 on the 1000/1. I can almost guarantee the 1200/1 will be louder and cleaner, so to answer your question, the 1200/1. The sub will handle 1500wrms, so 1200wrms will be louder and cleaner than 1000wrms any day."

    Here is my view on this, I have a Fosgate amp now (I'm over 30 yrs old & had MANY systems.) I have owned & used the following amplifiers: JL 1000/1v2, JL HD750/1, and JL 500/1v2. I love JL amps, but my RF T1500-1bdCP has a good bit more output due to my strong charging system giving it amperage it needs to get to 1,900 watts at 1 ohm. (birth sheet says 1,908). Now I'm aware you have a 13w7, and those are top-notch, so yes you want a nice JL amp to go with it.

    Without a doubt, I honestly recommend the 1000/1v2, if you have the room... and here's why. Now the HD1200/1 is a nice amp, don't get me wrong, but it has no bass boost! (the remote is simply a gain control) The Slash amps are MEANT to dish out power under hard constant use, and their Bass EQ's let you control the sub much more. With the HD's, I really don't think the Single Cycle control really enhances the damping factor much more than the already very high factors in the Slash amps. And 2 hundredths of a percent in "distortion" amounts to absolutely nothing, and the slightly higher STN ratio doesn't mean much when you are talking subwoofer frequencies... you simply won't hear the difference.

    Here is my personal experience. I had the HD750/1 running 3 JL 12w1v2-8's in the JL powerwedge enclosure in my SUV. It was ok, sounded clean, but I couldn't make it HOUND... all i had to play with was the lame gain control, so I returned it and used my 500/1v2 from my camaro, just to compare them. The 500/1v2 made it noticably louder, especially in the deeper frequencies below 45 hz, and this is a SEALED enclosure!. So I got the 1000/1v2, and MAN, a HUGE difference... the subs were going to jump out of the box with that amp, so I sold my three 12w1's, and got four 10w3v3-4's (wired them to 4 ohms final). It really sounded good & LOUD, and pleased me for a while, until I started wanting more power (car audio is a disease, lol). I snatched me up a Fosgate 1,500 watt RMS amp, wired the 4 subs to 1 ohm (JL is not stable there) beefed up my charging system, and now each 10" sub is getting about 475 watts with this hoss of an amp. (amp is unregulated & under-rated... class B/D).

    JL should really make a bigger amp that is at least 1,500 watts RMS, or put bass EQ's with remote boost on the HD amps. If you think of how big a SLASH amp is, do you really think you're going to get the same output when they cram all the components into a HD chassis? My 750/1 got pretty dang hot, even running that 2.7 ohm load. I honestly don't recommend running any JL amp at 1.5 ohms for extended playtime, even the Slash amps.

    To sum it up, the 1000/1v2 is huge, but it will give you a little more ummpphh than the HD1200, but if the 1200 had actual bass boost, then it'd maybe be slightly louder, but you still have to worry about it overheating, being that compact (same exact size as 750/1), and I wouldn't run it at 2 ohms or below for hard, heavy bass. Don't doubt the dinosaur!

    The crap in my car: Alpine head unit, RF T1500-1bdCP amp (2010 model), four JL 10w3v3-4 subs in sealed enclosure, earplugs




  5. #4
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression



    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2

    Quote Originally Posted by solarys View Post
    Which amp would better suited to power a JL Audio 13W7 sub? The JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2. Any/all suggestions are welcomed.
    the hd is a better amp imo, and should have more power.

    When i switched my old slash 1000/1 for a fosgate p1000 i was much happier, and it did about 1440rms @1ohm and i like my power series t15001'bdcp even more(just a consideration)

    also if you don't already have a 13 w7 I have 2 new aniversery editions just shoot me a pm if interested they are both new, and i can give them to you cheaper than you can find anywhere else.

    Either way good luck between those two they are both great amps.




  6. #5
    cleansoundzz's Avatar
    cleansoundzz is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Buena Park
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod999 View Post
    Hi Solarys, R0llinLacs wrote:
    "I haven't had a chance to hear the HD1200/1 yet, but the other HD amps sound amazing. Distortion is a mere .03% at rated power, compared to .05% on the 1000/1. Also the 1200/1 signal to noise ratio is 111db, compared to 105 on the 1000/1. I can almost guarantee the 1200/1 will be louder and cleaner, so to answer your question, the 1200/1. The sub will handle 1500wrms, so 1200wrms will be louder and cleaner than 1000wrms any day."

    Here is my view on this, I have a Fosgate amp now (I'm over 30 yrs old & had MANY systems.) I have owned & used the following amplifiers: JL 1000/1v2, JL HD750/1, and JL 500/1v2. I love JL amps, but my RF T1500-1bdCP has a good bit more output due to my strong charging system giving it amperage it needs to get to 1,900 watts at 1 ohm. (birth sheet says 1,908). Now I'm aware you have a 13w7, and those are top-notch, so yes you want a nice JL amp to go with it.

    Without a doubt, I honestly recommend the 1000/1v2, if you have the room... and here's why. Now the HD1200/1 is a nice amp, don't get me wrong, but it has no bass boost! (the remote is simply a gain control) The Slash amps are MEANT to dish out power under hard constant use, and their Bass EQ's let you control the sub much more. With the HD's, I really don't think the Single Cycle control really enhances the damping factor much more than the already very high factors in the Slash amps. And 2 hundredths of a percent in "distortion" amounts to absolutely nothing, and the slightly higher STN ratio doesn't mean much when you are talking subwoofer frequencies... you simply won't hear the difference.

    Here is my personal experience. I had the HD750/1 running 3 JL 12w1v2-8's in the JL powerwedge enclosure in my SUV. It was ok, sounded clean, but I couldn't make it HOUND... all i had to play with was the lame gain control, so I returned it and used my 500/1v2 from my camaro, just to compare them. The 500/1v2 made it noticably louder, especially in the deeper frequencies below 45 hz, and this is a SEALED enclosure!. So I got the 1000/1v2, and MAN, a HUGE difference... the subs were going to jump out of the box with that amp, so I sold my three 12w1's, and got four 10w3v3-4's (wired them to 4 ohms final). It really sounded good & LOUD, and pleased me for a while, until I started wanting more power (car audio is a disease, lol). I snatched me up a Fosgate 1,500 watt RMS amp, wired the 4 subs to 1 ohm (JL is not stable there) beefed up my charging system, and now each 10" sub is getting about 475 watts with this hoss of an amp. (amp is unregulated & under-rated... class B/D).

    JL should really make a bigger amp that is at least 1,500 watts RMS, or put bass EQ's with remote boost on the HD amps. If you think of how big a SLASH amp is, do you really think you're going to get the same output when they cram all the components into a HD chassis? My 750/1 got pretty dang hot, even running that 2.7 ohm load. I honestly don't recommend running any JL amp at 1.5 ohms for extended playtime, even the Slash amps.

    To sum it up, the 1000/1v2 is huge, but it will give you a little more ummpphh than the HD1200, but if the 1200 had actual bass boost, then it'd maybe be slightly louder, but you still have to worry about it overheating, being that compact (same exact size as 750/1), and I wouldn't run it at 2 ohms or below for hard, heavy bass. Don't doubt the dinosaur!

    The crap in my car: Alpine head unit, RF T1500-1bdCP amp (2010 model), four JL 10w3v3-4 subs in sealed enclosure, earplugs
    Nicely put.



    02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.1-Alpe PDX F4 on Crssfre Sprates-Alpe PDX M12 on RF T1 15@34hz
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1 Alpe PDR F50 on Crssfre Separates-Alpe PDR M65 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

    REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

  7. #6
    JEAT's Avatar
    JEAT is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: JL Audio HD 1200/1 or the JL Audio Slash/v2 1000/1v2

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod999 View Post
    Hi Solarys, R0llinLacs wrote:

    Here is my view on this, I have a Fosgate amp now (I'm over 30 yrs old & had MANY systems.) I have owned & used the following amplifiers: JL 1000/1v2, JL HD750/1, and JL 500/1v2. I love JL amps, but my RF T1500-1bdCP has a good bit more output due to my strong charging system giving it amperage it needs to get to 1,900 watts at 1 ohm. (birth sheet says 1,908). Now I'm aware you have a 13w7, and those are top-notch, so yes you want a nice JL amp to go with it.

    Without a doubt, I honestly recommend the 1000/1v2, if you have the room... and here's why. Now the HD1200/1 is a nice amp, don't get me wrong, but it has no bass boost! (the remote is simply a gain control) The Slash amps are MEANT to dish out power under hard constant use, and their Bass EQ's let you control the sub much more. With the HD's, I really don't think the Single Cycle control really enhances the damping factor much more than the already very high factors in the Slash amps. And 2 hundredths of a percent in "distortion" amounts to absolutely nothing, and the slightly higher STN ratio doesn't mean much when you are talking subwoofer frequencies... you simply won't hear the difference.

    Here is my personal experience. I had the HD750/1 running 3 JL 12w1v2-8's in the JL powerwedge enclosure in my SUV. It was ok, sounded clean, but I couldn't make it HOUND... all i had to play with was the lame gain control, so I returned it and used my 500/1v2 from my camaro, just to compare them. The 500/1v2 made it noticably louder, especially in the deeper frequencies below 45 hz, and this is a SEALED enclosure!. So I got the 1000/1v2, and MAN, a HUGE difference... the subs were going to jump out of the box with that amp, so I sold my three 12w1's, and got four 10w3v3-4's (wired them to 4 ohms final). It really sounded good & LOUD, and pleased me for a while, until I started wanting more power (car audio is a disease, lol). I snatched me up a Fosgate 1,500 watt RMS amp, wired the 4 subs to 1 ohm (JL is not stable there) beefed up my charging system, and now each 10" sub is getting about 475 watts with this hoss of an amp. (amp is unregulated & under-rated... class B/D).

    JL should really make a bigger amp that is at least 1,500 watts RMS, or put bass EQ's with remote boost on the HD amps. If you think of how big a SLASH amp is, do you really think you're going to get the same output when they cram all the components into a HD chassis? My 750/1 got pretty dang hot, even running that 2.7 ohm load. I honestly don't recommend running any JL amp at 1.5 ohms for extended playtime, even the Slash amps.

    To sum it up, the 1000/1v2 is huge, but it will give you a little more ummpphh than the HD1200, but if the 1200 had actual bass boost, then it'd maybe be slightly louder, but you still have to worry about it overheating, being that compact (same exact size as 750/1), and I wouldn't run it at 2 ohms or below for hard, heavy bass. Don't doubt the dinosaur!

    The crap in my car: Alpine head unit, RF T1500-1bdCP amp (2010 model), four JL 10w3v3-4 subs in sealed enclosure, earplugs
    IF you can wire 4 subs to 1 ohm THEN you can wire 4 subs to 4 ohms where JL is stable hence why they made it 1.5 - 4 for flexibility

    OP: A W7 will thump on any amp question here is what is your listening preference and do you want that extra bass boost




Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum