Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Old school SONY ES XM-7557 5 channel amp

How you are you guys doing? I have a couple of questions about the amp. The specs of the amp is 75x4 and 280x1, I think. I've read a few threads about the 7547 and people saying that it does a lot more than 75 watts at 4 ohm. Does anyone know if the 7557 is underrated for the front and rear channels as well. I hope it does similar to the 7547 then my main concern is the sub channel. It's only rated at 280 or so and does anyone know how much it actually put out? I can acquire the 7557 for a good price but don't wanna waste my money if the sub channel put out only 280 watts or so, because need the sub channel to do a little more than what it's rated. Thanks

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

Re: Old school SONY ES XM-7557 5 channel amp

It has been said to do 200x4... There is a thread on DIY someone will link it in a bit Im sure...

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Bumpin' Goalie is offline Magic 8 Ball

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Never benched mine, but I thoroughly enjoy it regardless.

System Layout help available via PM.

My system:
    Sounds good.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1175 Post(s)

how do you know you need more power to the sub(s) than that amp can deliver? amps aren't "underrated". they just publish power at a specific THD. you can get more power out of any amp if you can accept the THD increase. the issue is then you get into clipping which drastically increases power output, sometimes to damaging levels.

it's a good amp. if you can get it for a good price, then try it. if you don't like it, sell it. trying gear is the only way to know if you like it. forums aren't good places for predicting your likes/dislikes.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    661 Post(s)

I like mine...It seems loud enough on the sub chs for me

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

cheeseburger35 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    It has been said to do 200x4... There is a thread on DIY someone will link it in a bit Im sure...
    there's absolutely no way it does that and i dont' care what anyone says i've had 2 of these and while they are great amps with great crossovers they are fairly close to specs i had one benched like 5 years ago for starters it only has 60 amps of fusing why aren't we looking at simple mathematics ... the 7547 does "supposedly" 250x4 or whatever but only on 40 amps of fusing? .. come on .. i will say they are overbuilt completely but if someone would actually bench them instead of listening to some amplifier guy on diy about what it could do theoretically we would be in a different boat

Bought From: JAZN, EFFENDI, HCCAFAN, SurgicaL,djman37, MSSOKC(2), Mr. Loki, skeptikal, streetbeater07, blaze383, fatboyracing, stl_style
    Sold to: HOAX_1(2), gtpzach51, JaysonR, Justinh722, n8skow, Mast240,ampjunkielikeme
    soundpressure= Louisiana_CRX, mechanicpunk, Williambrea, WilsonDD, ultimateauto, j225, DD Scion,
    this guy *****: BulldogSr04
    06 dodge ram- dbl din, ditched the L5's now working on a fiberglass box under the rear seat for a 9510
    02 celica- total kicker build in progress rs comps, 4 zx amps, 2 12" L7's - sold

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseburger35 View Post
    there's absolutely no way it does that and i dont' care what anyone says i've had 2 of these and while they are great amps with great crossovers they are fairly close to specs i had one benched like 5 years ago for starters it only has 60 amps of fusing why aren't we looking at simple mathematics ... the 7547 does "supposedly" 250x4 or whatever but only on 40 amps of fusing? .. come on .. i will say they are overbuilt completely but if someone would actually bench them instead of listening to some amplifier guy on diy about what it could do theoretically we would be in a different boat
    Just saying what I saw in the Thread where the guy benched it... Didnt know they only had 40 amp fusing cuz Ive never had one...

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    Just saying what I saw in the Thread where the guy benched it... Didnt know they only had 40 amp fusing cuz Ive never had one...
    if this is the page you are referring to then nothing on here says benching .. they all are assuming by looking at internals

amp gurus, I have a question - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

btw i pulled up an online thing about the 4 channel and it says 40 amps of fusing but the guy selling his says his has 4x25 so i'm not sure on that- so i could be wrong and i don't have my 5 channel around to look at mine

i need to find my manual on my 7557 but if i remember right it makes same power between 4-1.5 ohms hence the reason they would be highly overbuilt

Bought From: JAZN, EFFENDI, HCCAFAN, SurgicaL,djman37, MSSOKC(2), Mr. Loki, skeptikal, streetbeater07, blaze383, fatboyracing, stl_style
    Sold to: HOAX_1(2), gtpzach51, JaysonR, Justinh722, n8skow, Mast240,ampjunkielikeme
    soundpressure= Louisiana_CRX, mechanicpunk, Williambrea, WilsonDD, ultimateauto, j225, DD Scion,
    06 dodge ram- dbl din, ditched the L5's now working on a fiberglass box under the rear seat for a 9510
    02 celica- total kicker build in progress rs comps, 4 zx amps, 2 12" L7's - sold

uvoo114 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for everyone's input and I'll probably purchase the amp and compare it to my other amps.

Bumpin' Goalie is offline Magic 8 Ball

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

For what it's worth, my 7557 has 100 amps of fusing, IIRC. Not going to dig up a false floor to double check though.

System Layout help available via PM.

My system:
    Sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

now that you said that i'm starting to think the online thing was a lie .. i'm pretty sure you're right ....

Closed Thread

User Tag List