Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What is up with my amp?

boddy is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is up with my amp?

When i turned on my stereo a horrible "bleeeer"ing noise came from my speakers and subs. I turned down my gain on my speaker amp and the noise stopped altogether, but as soon as i turn it up a bit my protect light flashes and the noise starts again from my speakers and sub. I don't understand why my sub does it as that has nothing to do with my speaker amp accept my rca's go into my sub then into my speaker amp. I disconnected the rca's from my sub to speaker amp and my sub is fine and i connected my rca's from my headunit straight to my amp and it still happens. If i leave my rca's and speaker wires disconnected it still does it (protect light flashes). And when i turn down the gain a bit it seems fine but only my left speaker works, if i turn the balance to either left or right my left speaker plays louder and my right still does not play at all. I swapped the 2 speaker wires around and it seems fine balance wise accept there the other way round obviously but as soon as i turn the gain up they start making a high pitched noise (after i swapped the speaker wires around).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What is up with my amp?

The amp is an Edge ED7400

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've tryed a different ground, the one i use for my sub and there's still the same problem. Also when i turn my engine on there is a buzzing noise even when the volume is at 00, but when i disconnect my rca's it stops. It's not an alternator noise it doesn't follow the rpm of the engine it's just a fixed noise which i can drown out by turning up the volume.

GAMEOVERCCA is offline INCRIMINATOR AUDIO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

bad install... faulty amp..

Subs
    2 IA Death penalty 15's
    Highs and Mids
    2 IA Comp sets
    Amps
    1 AB VFL200.1
    1 Mmats SQ4150

Batteries
    3 Deka intimidator 1000amp 100ah AGM's

mast240 is offline YOU'RE A HOOKER!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

sounds like you have a multitude of problems

the whining noise you hear when the volume is at 0 is most likely emf interference.... do you have your power wire and rca's ran down the same side of your car? that will cause it... that and crappy RCA cables can actually cause it. what HU are u running?

the amp probelm sounds like a couple different things... when u "turn the gain up" your most likely turning it past its clipping point, and I have a feeling your speakers are wired at too low of impendance for that amp... causing it to go into protect. set your gain properly with either a Emma, or a good o-scope, and do a final ohm check on your speakers (see what kind of ohms the amp is seeing)... its very easy to wire multiple components improperly and put too low of an ohm load on an amp

NEW TO CAR AUDIO? READ THIS FIRST... http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/532425-new-car-audio-read-first.html
    the loudest montero sport around
    head unit: toshiba thrive 10.1" android tablet/ Kenwood KVT-516
    front stage: each door: 1 8' RF p1 (midbass), midrange: 2 cadence cwm6.5's, 1 memphis pr 6.5 coax (kickplate), 1 cadence 4' coax (a-pillars)
    subs: 4 AQ HDC3 18'S, walled in a clamshell
    amps: subs: AB 500.1, looking for a second; midrange and midbass: 2 AP 1000.4

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mast240 View Post
    sounds like you have a multitude of problems

the whining noise you hear when the volume is at 0 is most likely emf interference.... do you have your power wire and rca's ran down the same side of your car? that will cause it... that and crappy RCA cables can actually cause it. what HU are u running?

the amp probelm sounds like a couple different things... when u "turn the gain up" your most likely turning it past its clipping point, and I have a feeling your speakers are wired at too low of impendance for that amp... causing it to go into protect. set your gain properly with either a Emma, or a good o-scope, and do a final ohm check on your speakers (see what kind of ohms the amp is seeing)... its very easy to wire multiple components improperly and put too low of an ohm load on an amp
    Well i have some pretty good rca's Vibe FLATSTEREO RCA 5M Car Amplifier Amp Phono Leads | eBay there like that but with grey wires, came with my vibe sub, they run from my hd to my sub then i have some cheap rca's from my sub to my bad amp. The rca's are as far away as possible from any power wires or ground wires (opposite side of the car) and my hd is a JVC KD-R322E. I've swapped the rca's around now though so my good rca's go straight to the bad amp then the cheap ones go from my bad amp to my sub, still made no difference.

And im sure my speakers are 4ohm Halfords | Edge ED306 Component Speakers even if they was 2ohm my amp is stable at both of them (80w at 4ohm and 100w at 2ohm) thing is it was working before i could turn the gain all the way up with no problems but it would max out at half volume on the hd so i turned both my amps gains down to half way. I think what might of done it is i disconnected my tweeter while music was playing because it stopped working, noticed the problem after that, got it exchanged and it still does it.

Closed Thread