Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Clean SQ amp for MBQuart Comps.

jb4153 is offline VeeDub in da house...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Clean SQ amp for MBQuart Comps.

What amps would all of you recommend for best SQ for MBQuart 6 1/2" components? Looking for around 75-100watts rms.

InhumanAcura is offline 1/3ofTEAM PwNAGE..*****es

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Clean SQ amp for MBQuart Comps.

U.S. Amps Vacuum Tube series amps, No doubt about it.
    TU-4360 (4-ch)
    TU-600 (2-ch)
    If you got the cash look in zapco

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I checked out their website and I like what I read...I'd be looking to get the 2ch. TU-600 to power my 6.5" components. I think I might get the Boston Pro 6.5's. I'm still kind of deciding in terms of components. But I like the fact that the Bostons operate at 3ohm, giving them a little more power.

If anyone has any experience or knows anyone with US amps TU-600 or US amps in general please post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Look on ebay, Keyword US Amps, there is a brand new one w/ warranty, that you could get way under retail.
    I dont like spending butt loads of money for amps, US Amp are IMO the best amps out there, and im sure many would agree, look what competitors use

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

You could run 2 sets of components off that amp easily. Look into some Image Dynamics chameleon components.
    Have you ever heard of horned tweeters?(HLCD)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea I saw that amp on ebay. I'm thinkin about it right now..haha.

I have heard of horned tweeters. Not much experience with them and I've never heard em. But share what you know.

Also, I think at this point in time I am looking at buying the Boston Pro 6.5s after looking at Diamond, CDT, Focal, MBquart...If there are any other comps. you'd recommend let me know. I'll take a look at those ID's.

Thanks.

outbacksport is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IMO there's no such thing as "clean" or not "clean" amps. There are amps that put out less power than they're rated for so they clip sooner than you expect them to, but that doesn't make them "dirty". Power is power, and power is what gets you good SQ (along with a good install) not spending hundreds of dollars on an amp because a refined marketing department said they're the best.

As far as tube amps - they sound "different" simply because of extremely low DF's - but that certainly doesn't mean they sound clean. If you like ultra-inefficient, ultra-expensive amps that double as space heaters then maybe tubes are for you.

Tru, Arc, US - I would agree that they all make great amps, and I'd put JL in that category too, but it's really not necessary to spend that kind of money just because you're an SQ person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Other comps

DLS Iridiums 6.2

www.dls-america.com

www.audiophiles.com

http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp...&sec=audiofile

Speaker type : 2-way system
    Woofer size : 16,5 cm (6,5")
    Power handling capacity : 100 W RMS / 160 W max
    Tweeter : 28 mm (1,1") tweeter
    Sensitivity : 91 dB (1W/1m)
    Magnet size : 85 mm (3,35") Hybrid ferrite/neodymium
    Outer diameter of woofer : 165 mm (6,5")
    Installation depth : 65 mm ( 2,56")
    Mounting hole : 140 mm (5,51")
    Crossover : Box filter LP: 6 dB & HP: 12 dB slope
    Owners manual for tweeter UR1 in PDF Selectable tweeter level in three steps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My take on amp for what its worth...

You get what you pay for. In theory, power is power and all an amp should do is turn a low amplitude signal into a higher amplitude signal without adding anything to the sound. If it were that simple then every amp would be the same and there would only be one company making them all the engineers working for all the amp manufacturers would be out a job.

What are the differences between budget amps and the more expensive ones? Generally efficiency, reliability and consistancy. Higher priced amps are generally overbuilt. They typically use higher quality components inside the amp making for tighter tolerances and better reliability. They spec transistors, diodes and power supplies that can safely flow much more current than that size amp calls for. This also leads to greater reliability. Overspeced components also deal better with heat. Heat is the enemy of efficiency. Budget amps might make their rated power but how close to their limits are they coming while doing that? Higher quality amps will make their rated power and then some. The "then some" is the margin of safety built into the amp. Typically quality control is better in higher priced amps as well. Tighter tolerances and more attention to the quality of the product lead to a more consistent product getting to the consumer. There is less chance of getting an amp with audible defects such as crossover distortion and asymetric output wave forms caused by mismatched tranistor pairs. These problems are audible and are much more common in lower priced amps, in fact one of the major magazines noted audible crossover distortion in an amp sent to them for testing. CA&E used to find it all the time in budget amps sent to them for head-to-head tests.

Like I said, you get what you pay for. There are great budget amps out there, the problem is you can't reliably get one of them every time. Some companies are better than others as is always the case but you can generally rely on one of the higher priced amps to perform as advertised and then some every time.

Again, just how I see it, take it for what it's worth.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Diplexers is offline Logarithmic Robot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

McIntosh...MC450
    Clean and Reliable

Eclipse CD5000
    PPI... DEQ-230
    PPI... PC450 4 channel
    Eclipse 3640 4 channel
    FI 12"BTL
    Eclipse DA7232 (2000 watts RMS)<------
    Kicker ND 25 Tweets
    Kicker RS6 6.5" comps
    Kicker R5c 5.25" midrange

80_Cutlass_mn is offline What needs to be here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another good SQ amp to look for would be any of the Pioneer Premier amplifiers. They are very reliably built and solid amps, if you dont believe me, look in my gallery, I have one. Take a look at my birthsheet, it does twice its rated power and never breaks a sweat doing it. Even though it is a class A amplifier it never even gets warm to the touch. Premier amps have been regarded as one of the highest qualtiy "SQ" amps there is. Ask anyone on the forums, if you can find them and have the power for them, then they are great.

Arctic White 1995 Camaro 3.4L

Hifonics BX2005D- 12" IA Death Penalty
    Premier prs-x220 - MB Quart DSD213 components
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP - Scosche 4 Ga. wiring kit

Aol Instant Messanger: CamaroMN1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n2audio
    IMO there's no such thing as "clean" or not "clean" amps. There are amps that put out less power than they're rated for so they clip sooner than you expect them to, but that doesn't make them "dirty". Power is power, and power is what gets you good SQ (along with a good install) not spending hundreds of dollars on an amp because a refined marketing department said they're the best.

As far as tube amps - they sound "different" simply because of extremely low DF's - but that certainly doesn't mean they sound clean. If you like ultra-inefficient, ultra-expensive amps that double as space heaters then maybe tubes are for you.

Tru, Arc, US - I would agree that they all make great amps, and I'd put JL in that category too, but it's really not necessary to spend that kind of money just because you're an SQ person.
    I personnally would not put JL in this category maybe MMats but not JL, Mckintosh yes, JL no.
    The TU-600 is the best amp i have ever heard, hense my recommendations. US Amps has marketing now? I live in the 4th largest city in the US and no US Amps for 6oo miles.

Well if power is power im going to rush out and buy 30 crunch amps for my aspire.
    Sweet, just think ive been waisting all my cash on marketing, Doh

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

anyone who argues saying a higher end amp is better than a lower end amp if you are comparing a true 100 watt vs. true 100 watt amplifier is a moron. i have seen 1 exception to this rule and that was an amp doing 10%thd. under 2% typically is the average person's audible range. a tube amp sounds "warmer" due to the tube's in it that add a certain kind of audible change in the amp. basically what it does is change the way you hear the signal being put out from the amp. yes i realize that me saying a watt is a watt so get cheap amps and be fine is odd b/c i own 2 zapco's with a 3rd coming in july but it is true. i used to run us acoustics and aside from the whine it created i heard no difference in my midbass drivers. now what most people consider to be "cleaner" is someone with a boss 150x2 vs. say a zapco that is rated at 150x2. now why do people feel this is cleaner b/c they are hearing 50 watts on average from the boss to 150 or more out of the zapco amp this gives our ears a "cleaner" sense of audio sound b/c the 50 watts is quieter. now this may seem a rant and yes i used to feel that more $$ and higher end amps meant the amp would sound so much better. trust me i've done blind tests and couldn't tell a difference between a tru C7 and a avionixx amp. oh and to the higher componets yeah they spend 35-80 cents a piece instead of 15-35.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast