Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Best matched amp for JL 12W7

Tormented is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Best matched amp for JL 12W7

Although im new to the site this is not my first build. But it is my first time around with JL, with that said. I am looking for people who actually know their ***** when it comes to matching subs to amps properly. So i am looking for the best matched amp to run the W7. I am not too worried about price and i understand whats required to run something of that power. Im asking 1 question so please do not give me 30 answers on what head unit i need, not the question i asked. And the only reason i say that is because i know how people on forums get. Thanks in advance and sorry to ramble

$LICK CALIFA$ is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Best matched amp for JL 12W7

the obvious answer would probably be one of jl's slash amps (500/1v1, 500/1v2, 1000/1v1, 1000/1v2) or hd amps (750/1, 900/5, or even the upcoming 1200/1) because of the odd single 3-ohm vc of the 12w7. But if you don't want to pay for the jl audio name, although you say cost isn't an issue, I would suggest any amp that falls into the category with power in the WIDE range of 400 watts rms min. @ 4-ohm to a max of ~2000 watts rms @ 2-ohm. If my math is right, at 3-ohms any amp within that power range should be giving the 12w7 anywhere from 500 to say 1500 watts rms, which is the power handling for the 12w7. Hope my rambling wasn't too confusing...

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Last time I checked those subs have D1.5 coils.... In anycase I have a OS RF Punch 800a2 that is rated at 800RMS@4 ohms bridged and it is quite underrated. I would sell for 200 plus shipping. PM me your number for pics.

elancohen92 is offline F**k yeah I drive a Soul! elancohen92 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you two arnt that good of help. haha. If it has the single 3 ohm coil then i would look for an amp that does 1000 at 2 ohm and 500 watts at 4 ohm. so 3 ohm would be about 750 watts which is "optimum" by jl specs.

2010 Kia Soul Sport
    Pioneer FH-P8000BT
    3 Sundown SA-12"s
    Soundstream Rubicon 1600d

refs? I have refs
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaBimmer View Post
    And the big three are subs, an amp, and head unit?

Phoenix Risen is offline OG.... Original Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

if it is dual 1.5 then get a aq 750 and run it at .75

R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elancohen92 View Post
    you two arnt that good of help. haha. If it has the single 3 ohm coil then i would look for an amp that does 1000 at 2 ohm and 500 watts at 4 ohm. so 3 ohm would be about 750 watts which is "optimum" by jl specs.
    You have to realize that when you wire a sub at 3 ohms nominal very rarely will the amplifier actually only be seeing a 3 ohm load, and only for miliseconds in a daily setup. There is a reason it is called impedance and not resistance.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So im coming to the conclusion that this is a difficult question to answer given the specs of the sub. What amp does JL even suggest? Im sure that with that sub being out for 10 years someone has figured out the best amp to power it. I guess i should not that i dont intend to take it to any competitions or anything of that nature. If i did then i wouldnt be using a JL. Would there be an issue running an amp that is slightly over rated and not running the amp at full power? Like an RF T 1000.1 /1500.1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

You are always better off running a larger amp and having a little bit of headroom given you have sufficient electrical, if it is in your budget. That way your not pushing your smaller amp to its limits all the time. Either of those amps will work for you, you just want to watch your subs in action so u know at what point they reach their mechanical limit(which they may not with that power, but I am not a JL guy so not 100 percent sure). The reason the question is difficult is because there is no answer for it. It comes down to personal choice/preference as long as your within reasonable power range.

Phoenix Risen is offline OG.... Original Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

i would be very careful running an amp that will do more than what that w7 is rated for, form what i have seen out of them they will go up in smoke quickly when over powered, just make sure you know what your doing when you set the gain, use a dmm so that your not pushing too much power to it.

but what ever amp you get just make sure that you have the electrical to push it. getting voltage drop can quickly lead to clipping which can easily lead to the magic smoke from the w7

R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

slim2fattycake is offline rolling right along

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

JL slasher amps.

SPL-Lab REP

Want an SPL meter for a lot less than the cost of a Termlab, but just as accurate and has more features and support? PM me.

Savstyle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Risen View Post
    i would be very careful running an amp that will do more than what that w7 is rated for, form what i have seen out of them they will go up in smoke quickly when over powered, just make sure you know what your doing when you set the gain, use a dmm so that your not pushing too much power to it.

but what ever amp you get just make sure that you have the electrical to push it. getting voltage drop can quickly lead to clipping which can easily lead to the magic smoke from the w7
    ^this

Dont really suggest setting it by ear.

They Call Me DARKNESS

Gamertag: Savstyle

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chriszle and Pheonix. Thanks for your input. I have had many issues with electrical in the past so i understand how all of that works. Ive been through plenty of alts and batteries before i actually took the time to learn. Everything will be done properly as far as supplied power to the amp. I guess the reason im going with JL is because i have never really heard anything bad about them, but then again i have not done much research on them. I also like the simplistic design and the ability they have. I have a few other questions i will send you guys a private message to not get away from the point of this thread. Thank you both

And to slim, thanks for your extensive suggestion. i really appreciate all of the effort you went through to put your 2 cents in here. Thanks a bunch

slim2fattycake is offline rolling right along

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

lol. I really get tired of trying to type of a lot when most of the time, people don't give a **** on CA.

I'd get the slasher 1000 because it will have the best sound quality. You will get the same rated power from 1.5 ohms - 4 ohms from that amp. But this is just a suggestion. Alpine PDX 1000 is the same thing basically. It may be cheaper and actually smaller in size.

SPL-Lab REP

Want an SPL meter for a lot less than the cost of a Termlab, but just as accurate and has more features and support? PM me.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well i appreciate you chiming back in. Like i said im new to the site but not to forums so i understand your irritation. Thanks for the input. I am going to send you a pm as well slim, ive a few questions that id like to get answered.

Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I would personally choose the pdx1000 over the jl1000 any day.

Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast