Closed Thread

Reload Thread: need some advice on my setup.

raverx3m is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

need some advice on my setup.

im planning to build a good quality system in my del sol.

heres what i have and will be using.

2008 crv oem honda stereo.( i want it to look OEM, i dont like how aftermarket units lok in that car)
    so im gonna have to work with that since it was the best option i could find for oem unit

i also took out the kac-x4r kenwood amp from my integra
    it has an onboard sound processor with EQ time allignment and crossover
    Variable high-pass filter (500-5000 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
    Variable low-pass filter (30-250 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
    Subsonic Filter (24 dB at 15 Hz)

speaker wise i want to have a 3 way setup in front doors and use the rear pods to build sub enclosures for the tang band 6.5 subs from parts express.

and most likely the rest of the speakers would be also from there.

so the bottleneck is what speakers should i run with this amp.

the tang bands are 50w RMS per speaker which is well within amps abilities.

but since it has a built in crossover i thought id save some money on building a crossover and run midbass on a separate channel from midrange/tweeter(and have a passive crossover separating mid/tweet)

then get a small 2 channel amp or one of the xtant 1.1 amps to run the subs.
    i have the xtant as well.

the reason why is because i really like the sound of paper cone speakers and titanium tweeters and alot of the 3 way systems are a bit out of my price range.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: need some advice on my setup.

any help would be appreciated

DarkScorpion is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a bit confused on what exactly you have currently lol. So you currently have:

KAC-X4R (Great amp BTW)
    Pair of TB 6.5" subs that you want in the rear

And what you want is:
    3-way front
    Subs in back

Correct? And I can't tell if your question is what amp should you run, or what speakers should you run lol.

Bought from: BassAddictJ, TBH1, Whitedragon551, Parker G, Ciaonzo, James Bang, GetLikeMe, Here-I-Come
    Sold to: Slim2fattycake, Bigbangtheory, Safe_Cracker, Burton6431
    Traded: Bergend2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

correct.

i have that amp and oem honda crv radio.
    i will buy the tang band subs for the back( i ve been eyeballing those for a while)

im just stuck on the front 3 way. i wanted to use the amps built in crossover instead of buying a separate active crossover.

i never setup a system with active crossovers or this much details this is a learning project for me.

i just notticed looking ove the specs the LPF goes up to 250hz and hpf stops at 500hz so theres a 250 hz gap in between. or is that designed for a purpose.

in other words im trying to avoid having too many bxes and wires in the car(keep it to a minimum)
    front 3 way active

rear subs.
    what should i power with that 4 channel kenwood amp for best results.

yea the first thread didnt really make much sense sorry.

DarkScorpion is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raverx3m View Post
    i just notticed looking ove the specs the LPF goes up to 250hz and hpf stops at 500hz so theres a 250 hz gap in between. or is that designed for a purpose.
    With that amp, both, the HPF and the LPF should have two frequency options available each, "high" and "low," from which you can choose the filter. Check out the manual: http://images.kenwood.eu/files/prod/...-PS4D_(EN).pdf

Look on page 5, the second picture "2-channel system" - this is what the switches should look like. Then look at page 8 - you can see more clearly where the LPF, ISD, and HPF settings are listed - those are basically all the choices you have for your filters (wherever there is an "o").

That is EXACTLY how you would set it up for a 2-way front. Except, of course, you would choose a different frequency for the HPF (for the tweets) and the LPF (for the mids). You would also set an infrasonic filter, which will effectively make channel B bandpassed.

It's a bit tricky to use this amp for a 3-way front configuration. You really would have to use a combo active-passive configuration, like you suggested. Basically, you would have it set up like this: midbass on channel B, bandpassed via the amp; passive crossover attached to channel A (with a HPF on the amp), midrange and tweets conected to a passive crossover separating their respective frequencies. In theory, there's nothing wrong with it, but in practice, it can be annoying if you want to play with the frequencies in order to really "find" the crossover points that work the best for your speakers.

However, it is doable. You'd definitely need a separate amp for the TB subs, which is to be expected. However, they don't need much power at all, which is a plus, so you can pretty much get any amp that you want. If you can find the matching mono-channel amp for your KAC, that'd be pretty cool for the sake of aesthetics. You could wire a pair of them in series to 8ohm (if I'm thinking of the TB subs you're thinking of) to keep the amount of power running to them from being too high and keeping current draw in check if you don't intend on upgrading your electrical system.

Bought from: BassAddictJ, TBH1, Whitedragon551, Parker G, Ciaonzo, James Bang, GetLikeMe, Here-I-Come
    Sold to: Slim2fattycake, Bigbangtheory, Safe_Cracker, Burton6431
    Traded: Bergend2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok i see what u talking aboot. i havent red the manual since i installed it last time.

it wouldnt make sense to run a tweeter on this amp anyway.

Closed Thread

User Tag List