Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Bad transformer on Rockford amp

macisme is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bad transformer on Rockford amp

I was having an issue with this amp that came to me in a deal, to where if I hooked up the RCA for the left channel it would send it into protection, or if I hooked a sub up.. it would arc. Well after testing and inspecting, i'm pretty sure it's the transformer. I am no pro at fixing amps and have little experience under my belt though about 90% of it has been successful. I am just looking for a replacement transistor for this amp and can't seem to find it anywhere. Maybe I can just rewind with the same wiring? Looking for Guru's here.. btw The people who made this amp left an identifying mark with their initials. I have never seen it before so it's all new to me lol. The Johnny Chimpo one from Super Troopers is super sweet! lol See pics.

Also most of my amps cost me nothing and I like to tinker just for my own personal gain and experience.

Amp model is the picture with the initials.

matt_bennett05 is online now mattchoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Re: Bad transformer on Rockford amp

Wow... too bad they didn't do a custom Johnny Chimpo RF badge on the amp... never seen that before...

D.D.Q.F.

Traded with : norrizzle9, BassAddictJ (x2), TWiZTid859, btr, btdickey, mylows10, Sour_Deez, El_Weenie;
    Bought from : NeilBarber, kurtbeast, bubbagumper, cd6551,
    mistergrubbs, gbo559, ltr450racer690, nismos14, ptcmarty,

gunz4me2 is offline Bat Country

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Bad transformer on Rockford amp

Re-wrapping a transformer is not for the faint of heart but you can get the wire from a place like this: products_id_191 | Applied Magnets & WindMax Wind Turbines
    I would also suggest dipping the transformer in epoxy or coating it with several coats of varnish after you are finish re-wrapping it. Just make sure you do it 100% exact, otherwise you will create your own amplifier magic show, complete with smoke and fire!

Also, if this is your first amplifier repair, I am going to tell you now that you should have picked something other than a Rockford Fosgate with surface mount devices and MESHA strips.

Closed Thread