Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Marine Amp - Which Brand would you get?

SmokinBarrel is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Marine Amp - Which Brand would you get?

Okay, I cannot make up my mind on which brand amp (2 Channel) to purchase for my boat. I know, I know, this question has been asked a thousand times! So, if you could spare me the BS, or *** for tat, and give an honest response - unbiased of course, which brand you buy based on best bang for the buck, that would be great. And, I am sure others would appreciate it as well. My assumption is that regardless of Car versus Marine (board is dipped) amplifier, the concept or guts are generally the same? Or, lets assume so.

So, based on quality, reputation, best value, clean sound, which brand would you go with? Pick Five in order of purchase: I know this is somewhat of a loaded question Ford versus Chevy, but I know you can do it.... remember, best value for the $$. In other words, how much extra fluff ($) are you paying for name brands, JL Audio, Alpine, etc.... And if you like to know what this amp will be paired with, one (1) pair Polk Audio MM651um (100w RMS and 200w Max - 4 ohm rated). At this time no sub, if at a later time it will be with a separate amplifier. So, consider this scenario during your analysis and choices: (Feel free to add a brand if not listed).

JL Audio
    Memphis
    MTX Thunder
    Clarion
    Sony
    Alpine
    JBL
    Boss
    Kicker
    Pyle
    MB Quart

Here is my pick:
    1. Clarion
    2. MTX Thunder
    3. Memphis
    4. JL Audio
    5. Alpine

In advance, thanks for your honesty.

SicAudio is offline did you fart dude?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Marine Amp - Which Brand would you get?

MBQuart Nautic series... NAU260 2x60 closer to 2x90 tbh...

better build quality than the DSC series ( forum boner amps... ... ) and marine certified...

Quote Originally Posted by slammedincouch View Post
    Sic rolled me in front of my mom earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    How did you manage to pack that much stupid into such a small amount of words?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I got rick rolled by SicAudio lulz
    I just got rick rolled by SicAudio again lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by chickaboom View Post
    awww.... dude! I can't believe you were the first! to rick roll me! I am a noob!
    sold to: Johnny Law.Lulz/Worstenemy453,Pumkinman, j1b1e1, DexterMoped, miyagi gboo559,CSU87,nate2587, MichaelLane, SmLLySack. MR_Imperial, Herrrerra, ltr450racer690, 05fronty bought from: TripleB45, bigwheel15, (kroid77 but never recieved..)
    helping noobs daily PM me

whitedragon551 is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Clarion APX Marine series. Robert Zeff > all others listed.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

I would also go with the Clarion.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

bugflipper is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I run tube amps in the 2 boats. Not a lot needed to run amps for marine. None are waterproof. You just have to isolate the vibration since cars have tires and a suspension to absorb shock. I use rubber grommets under the amps for mounting. As well as second skin on the bottom. And finally a rubber mat also cut to the footprint of the amp. Tube amps are a lot more fragile than solid state and they have held up for 15 years or so (as have the orion hcca amps in them). For clear sound, zapco, arc audio, ppi, mmats, old school orion, ppi, soundstream, alpine etc., mccintosh, zed or even sundown. Every budget covered there and all better than what you listed in their respective price ranges.

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBarrel View Post
    Okay, I cannot make up my mind on which brand amp (2 Channel) to purchase for my boat. I know, I know, this question has been asked a thousand times! So, if you could spare me the BS, or *** for tat, and give an honest response - unbiased of course, which brand you buy based on best bang for the buck, that would be great. And, I am sure others would appreciate it as well. My assumption is that regardless of Car versus Marine (board is dipped) amplifier, the concept or guts are generally the same? Or, lets assume so.

So, based on quality, reputation, best value, clean sound, which brand would you go with? Pick Five in order of purchase: I know this is somewhat of a loaded question Ford versus Chevy, but I know you can do it.... remember, best value for the $$. In other words, how much extra fluff ($) are you paying for name brands, JL Audio, Alpine, etc.... And if you like to know what this amp will be paired with, one (1) pair Polk Audio MM651um (100w RMS and 200w Max - 4 ohm rated). At this time no sub, if at a later time it will be with a separate amplifier. So, consider this scenario during your analysis and choices: (Feel free to add a brand if not listed).

JL Audio
    Memphis
    MTX Thunder
    Clarion
    Sony
    Alpine
    JBL
    Boss
    Kicker
    Pyle
    MB Quart

Here is my pick:
    1. Clarion
    2. MTX Thunder
    3. Memphis
    4. JL Audio
    5. Alpine

In advance, thanks for your honesty.
    it might be cheaper to get a regular amp and just replace your trunk gasket

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BugFlipper,
    Would this work? See attachment.... What is a 'second skin'? I will check into the amps you noted. They are car amps, correct? What is a tube amp? ....ie the amps you noted?

Louisiana,
    I thought about your approach, as there is much more flexibility and selection under non-marine car amps. I could just replace every 2 or 3 years provided they're in a good dry location. BUT, the area I have to work with on my boat is limited. I have a few ideas, but not sure about air flow, over heating? I would like to mount under my seat, but that would only leave about 2 - 5" around the amp for air flow....and not much of it. So, I need to consider other areas...

I was thinking in the back (Pic) where the batteries are, but not much room left. The right side in the pic is where the gas fill hose is located. So, I prefer to stay away from that.

I was thinking about under the suspension seats (very limited air flow), or under the bench seats, but I keep life jackets. If I mounted the amp inside there, I would need to keep other things out of there? And, I am not if I want to drill a hole in the side of the bench box. I could go underneath, but the gas tank is under the floor inbetween each bench seat - roughly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marine Amp - Which Brand would you get?-ampsetup1.jpg   Marine Amp - Which Brand would you get?-boattower.jpg   Marine Amp - Which Brand would you get?-boatbatteryswitch.jpg   Marine Amp - Which Brand would you get?-006.jpg   Marine Amp - Which Brand would you get?-007.jpg  

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

the amps would cause heat...so a good chance it could melt the material on the life jackets....and they would need some air flow..boats are tricky but yours looks to have more options than most at mounting locations...even standard amps kept in a dry location will last for years...but it is good to have the protection of marine grade boards for accidents...make sure you use marine grade speakers though...because non grade will take a toll fast

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Louisiana,
    I agree, I have gone back and forth on whether to use a car or marine amp! I have an area in mind, it is in between the windows at the bottom step. A small compartment behind that step going to the bow (front of boat, and in between the Suspension seats). It'll be a tight area to work within. If water gets in, it flows on the bottom. I just need to look it over good.

The big kicker is..... I was thinking of mounting it under the passenger dash, BUT I wash or spray the inside of the boat out after each use. So, the amp would get misted, which over time a marine amp wouldn't hold up.

And yes, I am planning to use Polk's MM651um fully waterproof speakers (1 pair, installed in a can mounted on the tower).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have installed car amps in boats more times than I can remember tbh

I usually make an enclosure for them in cases like yours so the amp rack/enclosure can be easily removed with quick connectors..

even marine amps will fail if there is to much moisture..

awww.... dude! I can't believe you were the first! to rick roll me! I am a noob!
    sold to: Johnny Law.Lulz/Worstenemy453,Pumkinman, j1b1e1, DexterMoped, miyagi gboo559,CSU87,nate2587, MichaelLane, SmLLySack. MR_Imperial, Herrrerra, ltr450racer690, 05fronty bought from: TripleB45, bigwheel15, (kroid77 but never recieved..)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SicAudio,

By chance, to you have a picture of an enclosure you made? I didn't think about that, but I could make an enclosure and mount that someplace, versus finding a surface on the boat itself.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SicAudio,

By chance, to you have a picture of an enclosure you made? I didn't think about that, but I could make an enclosure and mount that someplace, versus finding a surface on the boat itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can ask my last customer to email me a pic

we did his behind the steering column in his boat and dropped a sub under 1 of the double seats on the other side lol

his boat is hella loud!!

audiophile831 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Memphis Marine 5ch amps are sweet. Installed one a while back and was impressed. I think you will be fine if you use regular amps. I think if the boat is mostly out of the water and in storage or your driveway you will be fine. Mounting is the hardest part

REFS:

Sold to: 2low2flo, Agiletick, Eutechnyx, jamie68
    Bought From: norrizzle90, Nickatina, Carnivorous18
    Traded: Dbeez, 350zspl, SoCalNoob

My Feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/489388-audiophile831.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

audiophile,

I am finding that to be true, mounting the amp! Crazy! In fact, I thought about forgetting the amp, and just use the head unit. BUT, I want to maximize the system output - if I can.

Also, should I look for an amp with a fan built in? Or, is that not necessary, but helpful if within my budget?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast