Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Infiniti G35 Bose Head Unit

cinergi1 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Infiniti G35 Bose Head Unit

How can I tell if the Bose head unit on an Infiniti G35 has line level outputs or differential outputs? I also don't understand what the difference is either so maybe someone can explain. I'm new to all this.

I have installed a JL Audio 500/5 amplifier which only has RCA inputs. I cut off the Bose amp input plug and attached RCA plugs which I then plugged into the amp. I did not install a LOC like the VEN4.

The amp has low and high level inputs. I don't know which setting is the correct one. I can tell you that it sounds very low and muddy on the low setting.

Finally, I get a very slight engine whine when accerlating. If possible, how can I eliminate that?

mtnickel is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Infiniti G35 Bose Head Unit

I don't think you'll have much luck on here for finding specifics of the bose system. Best bet would be to go to an Infinity forum and see if anyone has attempted it there.

Whats weird is there is an alternator whine that came stock. That *****. That will be a nightmare to find. Either the signal lines running from the deck to the stock amp are too close to some power lines, or it's some ground that has come loose, i'd say it's the first case.

You best bet for hooking that amp up is to run highlevel inputs to your amp. See if you can get a haynes manual if possible or go to the dealer to get a wiring diagram for the amp, if the diagram is not on the stock amp itself. You basically want to clip the high level wires (going to the speakers), then from the stock amp, run the high level source to your JL amp. Now, attach to outputs of you JL amp to the other end of that wire you just cut, that goes to your stock speakers.

You must do this for every speaker...hopefully they are all together, although i read that the amp only powers the rear speakers.
    If anyone else knows that certain wires coming from the deck are low level sources, post it here. I always doubted it, because they were never shielded which is usually required for even the crappiest of low level wires (positive tip, negative ground/shield).

Hope that helps.

cinergi1 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Infiniti G35 Bose Head Unit

The whine is not coming from the stock bose system but started when I installed the new JL Audio Amp. I had already done exactly as you recommended as far as running the wires is concerned.

The bose system has all of its wiring running together. My friend who owns a car audio shop and builds competition setups helped me run the power wire but for some reason we ran it along the bose wiring instead of on the opposite side of the car. If I had known this is one of the causes of alt. whine I would have said something. What amazes me is he didn't say anything.

Can you define low level, high level, speaker level, line level, and differential for me? This was my 1st amp install and I am very new to all of this. When I set the input voltage to low everything sounded like crap. When I set it to high everything sound the way it should. Does this mean the bose h/u puts out a high level signal (I was told it put out differential (whatever that means) because in the wiring diagram of the bose system there is a graph that flucuates between +1 and -1)

Closed Thread