Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Does an Amp really make a difference?

cracker7213 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does an Amp really make a difference?

Hello all.

I have a pretty low key set up. I have a pioneer 1300mp deck with polk audio dxi 650 in the front and pioneer 6x9 in the back. Its sound good to be but I would like some more bass and quality. Would adding an amp such as the jl audio 300.4 make a big difference? I also have room to put tweeters in the front arm rests. Would it be better to get all new components for the front and put the polks in the 6x9 holes in the back, or install seperate tweeters and use them with the polks? Thanks.

daboyfrumdabx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Does an Amp really make a difference?

An amp makes a difference but you have to understand that 6x9s are not made for bass(unless of course you buy 6x9" subs, which those pioneers are not). If more bass is your main concern, I'd look into a sub setup. Doesn't have to be very loud if you don't want, but it will at least reproduce the lower bass frequencies that your 6x9s won't. That would be my first step. Then, if you want to put tweeters up front, get a new component set(hooking extra tweeters up to coaxial speaker is useless, stupid, and a waste of time). I'd also consider amping the new front speakers. You can put those polks in the rear if you'd like, I personally wouldn't amp them but you can if you'd like.

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would I not want to amp the polks? I'm just looking for a nice good sounding system. Not really looking to rattle houses, just sound quality. I'm looking at the jl 320.4 to power them all, and I just want to know if this would be a good idea. Thanks

NFAMOUZ is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would like to add that there is nothing wrong with adding tweeters to coxials and I would say to try out the 4 channel amp with your speakers first to see if you like the results, it may work out nicely "for you" nothing wrong with advice, but try some things out for yourself, because only you know what sounds good to you

97 Acura TL UA2
    DEH-3100UB - Vr3 RT15
    XM-754HX - TS-G974M - KFC-X173
    (2) KFC-W3012 - MRP-M1000

nateberrier is offline ******

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

You can amp the back speakers if you want, but having a good component set on a good amplifier would give you a fuller sound and in most good sound stages rear speakers are either not there or just to fill/give the back seat passengers sound. An amp will give you cleaner sound and allow you to have cleaner sound at high volumes. I would not add tweeters to your coaxials. If I were you I would grab a nicer deck, one that has a 24bit DAC, 4v 6channel preouts and any other options you want. a good deck is the epitome of a good stereo. youll need to have those preouts whether 4v or less to get sound to your amps. putting a sub or two in the trunk doesnt mean that you have to be that obnoxious dbag driving by your house at 4am either.

I would get a new radio, doesnt have to be awesome but make sure at the VERY least it has 6ch preouts.
    I would get a small 2ch amp and sub
    then a set of components and move the polks to the back using adapters.
    then i would get a 4ch amplifier for the in car speakers and watch your stereo come to life.

you can find amps at JL or better quality for much less as well.
    Before you get anything, read read read, and if you cant find it then ask.
    check out bcae1.com to get your fill, you can also PM me for help, but take your time.

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

http://www.execution-audio.com/

6. Thanks power-fanatic07 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok thanks for the info.

So i'm looking at new decks. Is there anything for less then $200 that has 6 channel 4v 24 bit dac? The only ones I can find are $400.

Just to be clear, the amp plugs in to the rca's in the deck so having 4 rcas, is better then 2? Can you hook up a 4 channel amp to a head unit with only 2 rcas?

I bought this head unit at best buy. I know I shouldn't have, but I did, so Should I return it? It was installed by them so I'm sure I will have to pay an overstocking fee.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would the Kenwood MP-245 be any good?

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get an amp and a small sub first. If that doesn't suit your desires, then think about replacing the deck. The best deck isn't going to magically create bass or more/better sound from the speakers that you have. You MUST get a real amp to realize any of those goals.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Wingman0121 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A JL 300/4 will probably blow those speakers you have if you turn it up real high.

You can stay with headunit power until you get a good subwoofer setup.

Sold to: Mills561, Kross6622, sleazebagger, shpatb, esmokah
    Traded: Kross6622
    Bought from: DJ Nitrous 427, 97maxima

Cruzer is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

really shouldnt over look the sub idea. even a small one, in a small sealed box, u will hear things on songs u never heard before. a sub doesnt have to be to be so loud people outside ur car can hear it. they were made to play frequencies ur door speakers cant, or struggle to produce. it just happens that most people want really loud bass, which just means they arent in it for the music.

Head Unit: Pioneer 800PRS | Tweets: Vifa BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome | Mids: Dayton RS180 | Speaker Amp: Infinity Kappa Four | Sub: Dayton HO 15" | Sub Amp: AQ1200D
    refs:http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/485413-cruzer-feedback.html
    Legal disclaimer... this is my own personal opinion that I have made from my own personal experience and based on my own personal tastes. At no time have I implied that anyone is wrong in their own opinions and you need to make a decision based on your own opinions.

Closed Thread