User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: oldish Kenwood KAC-475 amp not powering on, a resistor is rattling around

russianxj is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oldish Kenwood KAC-475 amp not powering on, a resistor is rattling around

I got this amp for free but it doesnt turn on. There are no lights on this one so I cant even see if its reading any power or in protect mode. Well I heard rattling inside so I decided to open it up and there was a loose .22 ohm resistor. Would this make it not switch on?? Also how would I hook it back up to the board? I'm pretty sure of where this resistor belongs because there is a spot with a squiggle thats open. There are other squiggles but there are resistor's over them thus why I think this one goes where it does.

I need this amp pretty badly for my coaxial speakers. thanks for the help in advance

i can take pictures if needed

Wrennagade is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: oldish Kenwood KAC-475 amp not powering on, a resistor is rattling around

solder is the best method. I would de-solder the two connections and then re-solder them with fresh solder. best way to get a strong connection. make sure the resistor isn't fried though, there might be a reason why the component came off the board. examine your amp closely after repairs, before u put pwr to it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i should get a new resistor to be sure? how should i go about de-soldering?

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to radio shack and get a desoldering kit, a soldering iron and some thin flux-core electronics solder. While you're there get the resistor as well. You can get by without the desoldering kit if you don't want to spend the money.

Remove the amp board from the heat sink so you can get to both sides. Use the desolder kit to clean the old solder from the through holes on the board where the resistor goes. Thread the leads of the resistor through the holes in the board and seat the resistor as close to the board as you can get it. Heat the lead and the board trace enough to melt the solder and feed a small amount it to fill the holes and get good contact. Once the solder has cooled, trim the excess resistor lead.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks.. ill post up the results... and i messed up on the model # on the amp. its actually kac-745

ArthurIhde is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm,thanks for the experiment sharing.

Audi Q5 VS Benz GLK300

Closed Thread