Closed Thread

Reload Thread: My Amp setup has changed

z00mz00m is offline 100100100010111010101

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got a new amp

Another one of my long posts
    You don't have to read the whole thing, its just details on how I got what I have now, just answer my questions about Power Acoustik please

::

Well some of you may have seen my first post in the Subwoofers forum about my whole system in general. I had planned on getting a refurb JBL P180.2 amp for my birthday and it came and I messed with that thing forever. Finally I got a friend to come over to fix it, it was a friend that works at a local audio shop in our town, he diagnosed the amp as having a blown channel.

I had ordered the amp from www.justamps.com which has a no returns policy because of reduced prices. I was mad at first but when I spoke to Chris I learned that he had tons of hook ups at a local flea market type place in our town. He had become a good customer of one audio shop that sets up its business at the market every weekend and because of that the owner would give him discounts.

He found this old guy who was selling old busted audio equipment and sold him my broken amp for 110$! I was like dang that's awesome, I only lost 17$ really, and I had 110$ to shop with and get a better amp than I would have had before.

I ended up finding an SPL2 520 amp, I didn't realize it was a Power Acoustik originally because it didn't say it anywhere on the box. The amp was brand new and the guy said he'd give it to Chris for 110$. Chris had mentioned he could get me a 12" kicker for 20$ brand new if I ever wanted a second one, so I figured, all of his deals must be good ones. I'll get it.

I was kinda not myself among those people, I didn't have a PC to look up reviews and stats of the amp on and well we put it in and it has very nice SQ. I got home and redid the wiring to make it look up to my standards and I realized it wasn't a 520 watt rms amp, but a 300 watt rms amp. Then I saw it for 70$ on etronics and I was like ohh shizz.

Anyways, I'm going to return the amp to the flea market place next Saturday and get my 110$ back and right now I am going to buy this. I read some reviews here and people say they are reliable and put out close to what they say they do. I tortured my SPL2 520 amp about an hour ago with multiple bass mekanik bass songs and it barely heated up while hitting nice and deep notes. The way I see it, the extra 160 continuous watts that the SPL2-820 puts out will make my system just that much better. I am pretty set on getting it.

The reason I posted was for some added input on Power Acoustic's new SPL series. I want to know what everyone thinks of them in general and any experiences you may have had.

main info i want to know is
    -reliability
    -how long should it last if i treat it right
    -how are sq and spl compared to other brands in this price category (keep in mind that if i got a 110$ jl amp it wouldn't be putting out as many watts of course)
    -could i get something better for $110 (keep in mind i want it to work best w/ my kicker, not just best overall, but how well would it perform with my kicker)

Thanks a lot you guys
    -Ryan
    Last edited by z00mz00m; 01-19-2004 at 10:06 AM.

1988 Acura Legend Sedan

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My Amp setup has changed

BUMP

cmon I just wanna hear a few more things about Power Acoustiks, i listed a few questions I wanna know

how is the SPL series?
    are they the best in their class that puts out about 460rms and cost around 110$?

1988 Acura Legend Sedan

Bumpin_Ack is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You won't hear any difference with those 160watts, trust me

For 1 speaker, twice as loud is actually measured as a 6 dB increase. To sound twice as loud, or gain 6 dB, amplifier power needs to be increased 10 fold. So, 92 dB @ 1 watt.....98 dB at 10 watts, 104 dB at 100 watts, 110 dB at 1000 watts and so on.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh really? well i guess i'll still do it, its extra db either way and i shouldn't lose any money in the deal. i guess i'll go with power acoustik's amps cause no one seems to have any objection to them and i personally like them

well.. thanks for ur comment at least

1988 Acura Legend Sedan

Closed Thread