Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Is an MRP-F300 amp enough to power 4 speakers and a sub?

SiPex is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is an MRP-F300 amp enough to power 4 speakers and a sub?

My current setup is:
    Alpine CDA-105 Head unit
    Two Alpine SPS-600's in front
    One Alpine MRP-F300 amp powering the two front speakers

Now, I'm going to get two more speakers put in the back of my car (I think two more sps-600's), and I will have the same amp powering all 4 speakers. The guy at the audio shop I'm going to says that this amp will be able to power all 4 speakers and a 10" sub easily without sacrificing sound quality. I've heard from a few people that I will need a separate amp to power my sub. What's the best solution here?

Also:
    I usually listen to my music at a relatively loud volume and listen to all types of music (from extremely heavy death metal to hip hop to john mayer).

Thanks!

DarkScorpion is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is an MRP-F300 amp enough to power 4 speakers and a sub?

No, it will not be able to power 2 sets of speakers and a sub very well at all - the salesman fed you bs. CAN it do it? Yes, but will it do it well? No.

It puts out about 150watts when bridged, so if you were to run 2 sets of speakers speakers and a sub, you'd basically have 2 speaker sets per channel on the first 2 channels, and one sub on the last 2 channels bridged. Since that amp puts out 75w per channel at 2 ohms, each individual speaker would be receiving about 30 watts - definitely not worth the effort of the installation, especially considering the fact that the sub will still only be getting 150watts. If you had your heart set on running a single amp, don't run more than one set of components. It wasn't intended to run 4channels plus a sub - only 2 plus a sub at most. And considering you like to listen to your music loud, you'll most likely clip the hell out of your amp if you tried to run 2 sets of speakers and a sub off of a 50w x 4 amp.

Just pick up an MRP-M500 used off the forums or craigslist. I picked one up a while ago for my sisters car for only $75 bucks off of craigslist (don't pay more than $80). There are a lot of other options as well that I'd consider a better value, if you don't mind your amps not matching.

Bought from: BassAddictJ, TBH1, Whitedragon551, Parker G, Ciaonzo, James Bang, GetLikeMe, Here-I-Come
    Sold to: Slim2fattycake, Bigbangtheory, Safe_Cracker, Burton6431
    Traded: Bergend2

3. Thanks SiPex thanked for this post
    Wingman0121 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The MRP-F300 will most likely overheat if you do that. Sure it'll work, but getting something to work and make sound frankly isn't very hard.

Like the dude said above, you'll be much better off to get a subwoofer amp to power the sub and use the 4 channel to power 4 speakers.

Sold to: Mills561, Kross6622, sleazebagger, shpatb, esmokah
    Traded: Kross6622
    Bought from: DJ Nitrous 427, 97maxima

5. Thanks SiPex thanked for this post
    SiPex is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkScorpion View Post
    No, it will not be able to power 2 sets of speakers and a sub very well at all - the salesman fed you bs. CAN it do it? Yes, but will it do it well? No.

It puts out about 150watts when bridged, so if you were to run 2 sets of speakers speakers and a sub, you'd basically have 2 speaker sets per channel on the first 2 channels, and one sub on the last 2 channels bridged. Since that amp puts out 75w per channel at 2 ohms, each individual speaker would be receiving about 30 watts - definitely not worth the effort of the installation, especially considering the fact that the sub will still only be getting 150watts. If you had your heart set on running a single amp, don't run more than one set of components. It wasn't intended to run 4channels plus a sub - only 2 plus a sub at most. And considering you like to listen to your music loud, you'll most likely clip the hell out of your amp if you tried to run 2 sets of speakers and a sub off of a 50w x 4 amp.

Just pick up an MRP-M500 used off the forums or craigslist. I picked one up a while ago for my sisters car for only $75 bucks off of craigslist (don't pay more than $80). There are a lot of other options as well that I'd consider a better value, if you don't mind your amps not matching.
    Alright, that's what I thought. Just keep the mrp-f300 for the 4 speakers and get the mrp-m500 to power the sub. Thanks for the help!

Edit: I just found one brand new in box for $120 on craigslist. Sounds like a pretty good deal. What do you think?

Wingman0121 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SiPex View Post
    Alright, that's what I thought. Just keep the mrp-f300 for the 4 speakers and get the mrp-m500 to power the sub. Thanks for the help!

Edit: I just found one brand new in box for $120 on craigslist. Sounds like a pretty good deal. What do you think?

Good deal, just make sure it works and all.

Sold to: Mills561, Kross6622, sleazebagger, shpatb, esmokah
    Traded: Kross6622
    Bought from: DJ Nitrous 427, 97maxima

8. Thanks SiPex thanked for this post
    DarkScorpion is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SiPex View Post

You can probably talk him down. They go for about $140 brand new on eBay including shipping, so I wouldn't pay more than $100, especially if it doesn't include the endcaps.

Bought from: BassAddictJ, TBH1, Whitedragon551, Parker G, Ciaonzo, James Bang, GetLikeMe, Here-I-Come
    Sold to: Slim2fattycake, Bigbangtheory, Safe_Cracker, Burton6431
    Traded: Bergend2

10. Thanks SiPex thanked for this post
Closed Thread