Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Keep my PPI or sell it and upgrade? Please Help!

ronjon228 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Keep my PPI or sell it and upgrade? Please Help!

Hey all,
    Just to start heres the amp Im talking about:

PPI PC2600.2
    2 channel, crossover, q-bass, etc.
    300X2 @ 2ohms
    600X1 @ 4ohms
    (these are official PPI specs)

I recently came into ownership of this amplifier for an incredible price. My sister got it from an insurance claim and its been sitting at my parents house for a couple years in the box never used. So I picked it up for 100 dollars. Question is, how good is this amp? I know PPI is a top notch brand but how good is this series/amp if anyone knows. The reason I ask is because I know I got a killer deal on it and I know I could sell it for some extra money. Then use this extra money to get a whole new setup (amp and subs). I figure if I sell the amp for 250-300 (already had offers) then I can pick up a good 200 dollar amp (JBL, Audiobahn, PG, etc.) and a sub (or subs) and come out better in the end. So heres my first question:

Should I sell this amp and if so what should I ask for it?

Ok now for the second part. If it is worth it to unload the PPI for some extra cash flow, what should I do from there. I'll use 300 dollars as my spending cap for the new stuff. For the amps I've been looking at a few specific brands. I like what I hear about the JBL power series amps, the Audiobahn DigitalAudio series and Phoenix Gold Octance series. For the sub(s) I really like Kicker Squares. I was thinking about a single L5 12. Also, I've heard good things about Infinity for better SQL. As of right now I have 2 Pioneer 305 DVC 12's. I hooked up the PPI to them and it sounds allright but I want a little more. This is why Im thinking over all this. So my final questions are.

Whats the best I can get for 300?

How much better will this sound than my current setup? (with the Pioneers and the PPI)

Well, I guess thats it. Any advice on what to do about my situation would be greatly appreciated. And please be honest, I would prefer that cuz if its worth keeping the amp I'll hang on to it. Also, I'm rusty on my car audio so if you do think I should sell and upgrade let me know if my suggestions are any good or tell me your own if you think its better =)

Thanks in advace!
    Ron Jon

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Keep my PPI or sell it and upgrade? Please Help!

Also, as Ive been reading more into the posts about these subs I thought I'd explain why I dont like them (the pioneer 305's Im talking about). I have them in a 1.5 per chamber sealed box. I'm using my head unit as my crossover, its a pioneer premier 750MP. I have the subs at 0db (on the -6 to +6 deal). I have the x-over on the head unit at 80Hz (the one you change on the basic "A" button). I then have the bass fine tuned to 80Hz with a 2W setting (on the "Hold down A" menu). I have the x-over on the amp turned off and the gain is about 75%. With this setup I get good bass "hits" but my low end is really lacking. Also, it seems like Im getting a ton of clipping. Basically Im really not impressed and not sure its the amp or the subs, or my tuning thats killin me. Im wondering a couple of things.

Am I doing something wrong with my tuning?

Do I need to port my box, and how do I "tune" it if I do?

Thanks again!

P.S. I've only had these suns hooked up for less than a week. Do I need more break in time before I get the best sound from them. I drive about an hour a day and have them on and pounding most all of that time.

Rockman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as selling the amp your not gonna find a much better amp for 300 dollars. Maybe a more powerfull amp but as far as quality... The PC2600's are very good amps. As with most PPI stuff they are a little underated and have excellent s/n ratio and dynamic headroom. It would make a great subwoofer amp. 600 watts bridged into 4ohms. And you got it for a 100 bucks? No way would I want to go to a JBL or Audiobahn or even a PG if I had that. I would keep it use it and see how you like it first before I bailed on it.. A single 12L7 square dual 2 ohm would be a good match for the amp. Series the VC for 4 ohm load and bridge the amp. 600 watts and then some I spose. Not even at the rated power of the L7 at 600 watts. If you wanting sound quality over spl then the infinitys would be a good sub as well. I would try to get it set up to use the amp whole power output potential 600W X1 into the 4ohms and go from there. Just my opinion. I like my pair of 2600's and my L7's. They do very nicely...

Car 99 Toyota Solara SLE V6

HU Clarion DXZ835MP
    Front Speakers Infinity 6 1/2 Kappas
    Front Amp Crutchfield CR4X50
    Subs Kicker 12L7's
    Harrison Fmods
    Sub Amp PPI PC 2600's

Diplexers is offline Logarithmic Robot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, I know PPI and if its a pre 99 model then don't even think about selling it, its one of the best you can get. If its PCX model it will still sound great but the reliability is questionable. I love PPI and wouldn't switch to any of the brands you mentioned. The downer is when PPI sold out they started assembling their equipment with cheaper components so I won't buy any of their new stuff. Anyway, just keep it you'll be very pleased. :thumbsup

Eclipse CD5000
    PPI... DEQ-230
    PPI... PC450 4 channel
    Eclipse 3640 4 channel
    FI 12"BTL
    Eclipse DA7232 (2000 watts RMS)<------
    Kicker ND 25 Tweets
    Kicker RS6 6.5" comps
    Kicker R5c 5.25" midrange

Cantaffrdspeaks is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

have you tried using the x-over on the amp??? Maybe that could affect the low end???? I dunno. Suggestions from a newb.

just got done blowin up some powerbass chrome 12 it was fun

does anyone even remember below 30?

AIM-JAYBLIZZO187

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Havent tried that yet, I've got an active crossover on the way so I'll see how that sounds. The only reason I'm using the head unit x-over is because I like to have the sun level control on the fly. Oh well, I left a post on the subs section of the forums because I think if I tune these right I just may be able to get what I want outta em. If not, seeya later subs! If you have any ideas on what to do for tuning check up on my other post and leave me suggestions. Thanks again.

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you sell that amp to replace it with any of the stuff you mentioned, may nasty things happen to your private parts. That is unless you want to sell it to me for what you paid for it...

The amp's a POS. I'll give you what you paid cause I'm a nice guy. I really feel bad that you got taken like that, so let me take it off your hands...

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok Ok you can have it, but you gotta pay 105 for it. I need a pack of smokes outta the deal Nah, I do beleive I am going to keep the amp.

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronjon228
    Ok Ok you can have it, but you gotta pay 105 for it. I need a pack of smokes outta the deal Nah, I do beleive I am going to keep the amp.
    Like to smoke after ***, huh? Cause you woulda gotten screwed there. I even would have thrown in cab fare.

Good luck with that amp. Let us know if you need any help.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Closed Thread