Closed Thread

Reload Thread: how to tell if my amplifier is blown, i have a x600.1 Phoenix gold xenon 600 watt

shania is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 how to tell if my amplifier is blown, i have a x600.1 Phoenix gold xenon 600 watt

I just feel sick, i was listening to my music and I was adjusting the bass, I had to turn it all the way up and I have very little bass comming out of my 2 12 inch JLs, they are only 150 watts each. I turned up the music and watched them, one seemed to be flexing alot and the other was kind of flexing opposite or not as much.

I hope it is not my amp,,, if the amp was blown would it still power the subs???
    thanks soo much please someone help me!!!!

ozzy87 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: how to tell if my amplifier is blown, i have a x600.1 Phoenix gold xenon 600 watt

honestly dude it sounds like u blew the subs, twice the recommended power is never good

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: how to tell if my amplifier is blown, i have a x600.1 Phoenix gold xenon 600 watt

would they still play even if they were blown???

ozzy87 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is there an odd smell in the trunk? if so what does it smell like? also what ohm load was said amp on?

5. Thanks shania thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ya there was a smell, like new plastic smell, not burnt though and the amp was not hot at all.... I dont know the ohm load that it was on,,, they guy who installed it said he had it powered up quite a bit, if that means anything, but would it still have the subs playing softer if it was blown???

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when i looked at the subs the one on the left was pounding way harder then the one on the right, it almost seemed they were pounding opposite, the smell is in the trunk i smelt the rubber around the subs and it is that smell that i am smelling, the blue light is still on, on the amp. would the subs still power up if the amp was blown??? thank you soo much

PistolWhip is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a blown sub to me. They're probably wired in series and when one blows it increases the resistance, therefor significantly lowering the amps output level. I'd try unhooking the subs one at a time and see which one is to blame, if not both. If the amp was blown, you'd have no sound at all. Just double check all cables before tearing things out. I'd bet that the one that's barely moving is either blown or the wires came unhooked. Its probably only moving due to air leakage from the other sub.

Wingman0121 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've stuck more than 600 watts into one JL W0 before so I doubt they're blown, plus usually they either won't work at all or will throw your amplifier into protection if the coil went bad. Did the setup pounded before or did you just installed it? If two subs look like one is pushing and one is pulling then that means they're wired out of phase and will cancel each other out. Switch the polarity on one of the subs and see what happens.

PistolWhip is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So because you've "stuck more than 600 watts" into a W0 before, you doubt it's blown?? It's not always the amount of wattage that you "stick into" a sub that causes it to fail.
    If the subs were recently removed or rewired, than its very possible that one is out of phase with the other, but if not, they can not just magically become reversed without some kind of serious failure or human manipulation.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks It was one of the subs, the dust cap in the center was falling off, and rattling really bad, so I asked a friend if I could just peel it off, well I guess that style and year of sub you can not do that to it, and it fried it. The amp is ok, I ran it like that for maybe 10 hours or so. I Just got two new subs that sound great!!! back to the boom!!!!

Closed Thread