Reload Thread: Capacitor help? - one more time for the newbie

enemy31 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon32 Capacitor help? - one more time for the newbie

ok, first time installing a system blah blah blah, quick question for a newbie who's worried he's gonna short out something.
    brand new stinger 1 far. capacitor. purchased the digital top accessory to put on it.
    need help with wiring it up for the first time charge and install, got a couple questions.
    1. should my amp be wired up to the cap for the initial charge, or should I hook the amp to the cap *after* it has been charged up.
    2. when hooking up for first time charge and then install. the directions are foggy about what to do with each ground when. I disconnect the vehicle battery ground. hook the fused positive to the cap. Now in the directions is says to use the test light in line with the capacitors ground to charge it, but it never says *WHEN* to hook the car's battery back up, do I hook up the vehicles battery ground, then go touch the capacitors ground wire to the (-) on the cap with the lamp in between to charge it and then re-disconnect the vehicle battery ground to connect the cap's ground ? (this is all going on doing it without the amp wired up to the cap yet). It's really confusing me mostly because I am not sure of what to ground when at what point. if the positive wire is going from battery to fuse to cap to amp, and each has it's own ground, what ground's SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be wired up for the initial charge of the cap and then the install of the now fuly charged cap. sorry for the long winded question on something that is probably very easy to do, I am just uneasy about doing it for the first time, thanks for your help!

DFW40 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Capacitor help? - one more time for the newbie

This way worked for me.
    unhook you negative battery cable
    take the fuse out of the main power wire
    Hook your cap into you system through a distribution block or however. Some people ground it seperate and some ground it with their amp.
    Re-connect your negative battery cable

Mine came with a little capacitor/resistor that was 27.5 ohms resistance for charging purposes. I then put this in the place of where the positive cables fuse (main fuse) would go and then I let it charge, took out the little capacitor/resisor and put the fuse back in and that was it.

Berry47 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Capacitor help? - one more time for the newbie

Caps are useless...... You have enough in your amp anyways

Mine: CDT, Eclipse, Diamond Audio, Dayton, Aura

Wifey: Infinity, Concept, Pioneer, Profile, JBL

Refs: Ruckus, MSSOKC