Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Whats a L-Pad????

Someone told me I could use a L-pad to pad down my component speakers. Sorry for sounding stupid, but what is a L-pad? Thanks

2002 FireHawk Trans-Am supercharged with 600hp...Mcintosh MX406 head unit, 2 sets Dynaudio 360s, 2 Idmax 12's, 3 Arc Audio 2500cxl, PPI 245 line driver+signal processor.

awalbert88 is offline Blame Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Whats a L-Pad????

I have no idea what an L-pad is, either. I'm only replying to say.. that is one of the most ****** rides anybody here has! Not sure which I like more... the HU or the 600HP....

Got some pics?

JL Audio 12W7, JBL BP300.1

1993 Mercury Capri XR2
    1998 Ford Mustang
    1989 Audi 100 Quattro
    2000 Buick Regal GS

Heresy is offline Going Against the Grain

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is a definition. Ask Josh, Geo, Loyd, someone else to explain what it means exactly... :p

Attenuator or Attenuator pad Electronics: A passive network that reduces the voltage (or power) level of a signal with negligible distortion, but with insertion loss. Often a purely resistive network, although any combination of inductors, resistors and capacitors are possible, a pad may also provide impedance matching. [Compare with fader and crossfader.] Pads are referred to by the topology of the network formed, with the two most common being an L-pad and a T-pad:

L-pad A two-leg network shaped like an inverted, backward letter "L". It usually consists of two resistors that are fixed or adjustable. A true variable L-pad consists of two variable potentiometers that are ganged (tied) together. The ganged sections work to provide either a constant input or a constant output impedance regardless of the attenuation setting. Since modern analog audio electronic circuits consist of stages characterized by very high input and very low output impedances, the term is now broaden to include all L-shaped networks without the requirement of providing constant impedance to the source or load. Volume and level controls are common examples.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum -- Vegetius

"I told her about my conversation three years ago with the political leader of Islamic Jihad in Gaza. "What's the difference between suicide, which the Koran condemns, and martyrdom?" I asked. "Suicide," he replied, "is done out of despair. But remember: most of our martyrs today were very successful in their earthly lives." In short, there was a future to live for--and they detonated it anyway."

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

An L-pad is a fancy volume control. People use them to control the volume of remote speakers in PA systems. I can't think of any reason to use one with a car system. Why did your friend suggest one?

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Rockman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We use one many years ago to adjust the volume on a center channel speaker. Worked great.

Car 99 Toyota Solara SLE V6

HU Clarion DXZ835MP
    Front Speakers Infinity 6 1/2 Kappas
    Front Amp Crutchfield CR4X50
    Subs Kicker 12L7's
    Harrison Fmods
    Sub Amp PPI PC 2600's

ssracerx2 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by awalbert88
    I have no idea what an L-pad is, either. I'm only replying to say.. that is one of the most ****** rides anybody here has! Not sure which I like more... the HU or the 600HP....

Got some pics?
    Sorry no pics, but maybey I will see you sometime since I visit your neck of the woods quite often. Nothin like rippen down rt 30 through Lancaster!!!!

2002 FireHawk Trans-Am supercharged with 600hp...Mcintosh MX406 head unit, 2 sets Dynaudio 360s, 2 Idmax 12's, 3 Arc Audio 2500cxl, PPI 245 line driver+signal processor.

Closed Thread

User Tag List