Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: What is a High Current Amp?

Lusso5 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What is a High Current Amp?

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon
    ...that is, fidelity is only a side effect of each amp class...
    True, and I didnt say otherwise, but what I was stating is IMO the fidelity is standard by which an amp should be chosen. (when practical of course). You don't see anything other than class A for those who have to transmit frequencies (radio, etc.) And they choose the class A because of the fidelity. Well - they choose an amp with the best fidelity, and right now class A "operation" provides the best fidelity.

and modes of operation are not tied to amp class
    What do you mean by "mode"?
    You'll have to explain this statement to me, because what we call Amplifier Classes are - Amplifier Classes of "Operation"... Depending on how the output transistors are "operating" depends on how it is classified.

One comment - Class A amplifiers have been manufactured for the car audio marketplace - Way back before SoundStream was bought out, they had a successful Reference Class A series, and there have been a handful of others.
    I didnt say the've never been manufactured - I said he would never get one in his car. But nevertheless, I don't see the reason for putting class A in an auto, for many reasons you and I probably agree on.

Also, something to ponder for a minute...
    SoundStream Reference series amplifiers used to have a mode switch on them, allowing the user to select whether the amp was going to be used in "high current" or "high power" modes of operation. Later Reference models had an impedance detection circuit, that would automatically determine the ideal "mode" to be in, given the load connected to the amp...
    Clearly amp classes and amp operation modes are completely independent.
    Sounds interesting, but the last statement I still believe is flat - false. Like I said, Amplifier Classes are the Classes of Operation . But, I still need clarification on what you mean by mode; if you mean, how the transistors are working, then - you're wrong; their "operation" is how the Amplifier Class of Operation is deemed. But, let me know what you mean by "mode."

geolemon is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's just as I stated... you may not have read it.

Amp classes describe how the transistors inside the amplifier work, their current and/or voltage relationships to each other as they work together to reproduce a waveform... generalizing as an amplifier having two transistors to produce it's output waveform, that work together... one transistor working on the positive peaks of the waveform, the other transistor working on the negative peaks of the waveform.

- Class D amps actively switch voltage on and off to each transistor, alternately, as they have "work" (each transistor's half of the waveform, positive, or negative) to do.
    - Class A/B amps actively regulate the current up and down, to each transistor, alternately, as they have "work" (each transistor's half of the waveform, positive, or negative) to do.
    - Class A amps simply leave both transistors on full-time, regardless of whether there is "work" to perform or not.

The other thing you are talking about - the mode of operation - is not tied to amp class. This is simply how the amp is used, not how it works.

An amp operating in high current mode (as SoundStream used to word it), or an amp that is high current capable (as Orion used to label some amps) is simply one that is capable of producing maximum power at lower impedance levels - where greater levels of current MUST flow, to produce rated power - compared to an amp that produces maximum power at higher impedances.
    These amps are simply designed to withstand lower impedance / higher current levels - and they still operate perfectly well at higher impedances, outside of "high current"mode of operation.

The SoundStream Reference series amps were the epitome of this (particularly in later years, with the mode-detecting technology), optimizing the amp for either "high power" mode of operation, or "high current" mode of operation, based on whatever load was hooked up to it.
    Contrast that to the Orion HCCA amps, which were able to produce full power in "high current" mode, but when operated at higher impedances, they simply produced less and less power (although more and more reliably).
    And both of these amps were class A/B amps.

Put another way,
    amp classes and amp operation modes are completely independent.
    Class A/B amps exist that are "high current capable" amps, class A/B amps exist that are not "high current capable" amps, and class A/B amps exist that are hybrid.
    Class D amps exist that are "high current capable" amps, class D amps exist that are not "high current capable" amps.
    Etc...
    It's just not tied to amp class, it's a completely different design issue, and it's not tied to how the amplifier works (as amp classes are), rather it's tied to whether the amp can withstand a certain type of use.

Summary in brief:
    Amp class is tied to it's design - fundamentally "how it works".
    Amp modes of operation describes how the amp is used. Keyword: operation.

So even though an amp may obviously be designed with a potential application in mind, there is therefore technically no "class" of "operation" - at least not with respect to what we are discussing (we'll leave classifications of usage to another thread).

Lusso5 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Going over yourself again and again isnt necessary.

You're still flat false. When people say "Amplifier Classes" they are just saying it short for "Amplifier Classes of Operation".

I don't claim to be an electrical engineer, but I know the basics of how an amp works, and the different Classes of Operation. But I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll send this thread to some experts in the field of amplifier design, repair, and technology and see what they have to say.

Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lusso5
    You're still flat false. When people say "Amplifier Classes" they are just saying it short for "Amplifier Classes of Operation".
    Once you were arguing my statements were false in differentiating between "amplifier classes", and "mode of operation"

Now you are simply arguing whether what I have decided to call them is 100% accurate as opposed to 99% accurate. Honestly, I could have called "amp class" Steve, and "mode of operation" George, and my point would still have been valid.

But, now are going to try to find someone (hopefully accredited in such semantics ) who agrees with you - or rather the way you pose the question to them. Hmm... tough to separate that...

Well, at least you aren't disputing that "amp class" and "mode of operation" are inherently tied, which was THE POINT that I was making.
    - And that is fine with me, because my point was made... after all, you can't go to the store and buy a loaf of bread (as they say ) with semantics, but you certainly can accomplish something with the understanding of a concept.

Just in case anyone is really interested in the semantics of it, as opposed to the logic of the issue, here's something that is not "some guy's opinion", but rather reference material to consider... "the" source of semantic definitions itself -
    ...the dictionary:

op·er·a·tion (American Heritage Dictionary)
    1) The act or process of operating or functioning.
    2) The state of being operative or functional: a factory in operation.
    3) A process or series of acts involved in a particular form of work: the operation of building a house.
    4) An instance or method of efficient, productive activity: That restaurant is quite an operation.

operation \Op`er*a"tion\, n. [L. operatio: cf. F. op['e]ration.] (Websters Dictionary)
    1. The act or process of operating
    2. The method of working; mode of action.
    3. That which is operated or accomplished; an effect brought about in accordance with a definite plan; as, military or naval operations.

operation (Princeton Dictionary)n
    1: the state of being in effect or being operative; "that rule is no longer in operation" 2: a business especially one run on a large scale: "a large-scale farming operation"
    3: an act or process or manner of functioning or operating: "the power of its engine determines its operation" [edit: or say, "the stability of the amplifier determines it's mode of operation" ]
    4: a planned activity involving many people performing various actions: "the biggest police operation in French history"

Another example: "He operated the amp in "high current" mode, when he temporarily connected a 1 ohm load to it".

More clear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exactly, thanks Jmac...
    My point was the differentiation between "amp class" and "mode of operation", not semantics.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2