Closed Thread

Reload Thread: using 3-4 amps and an electric xover at 18-24db instead of passive xovers?

mmouse57 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

using 3-4 amps and an electric xover at 18-24db instead of passive xovers?

I know most of the time we use electronic crossovers to cut mids at say 100hz and so on and use the passive xovers that come with the component kits to do the rest.

but looking into peiceing my own tweeters with midranges and midbass then subwoofers all from diff manuf. I find a big diff in spl so running say 3-4 amps with a full 18-24db electric xover seems a way to fine tune each to get perfect sound/output level to match the other diff brands speaker with the other speakers in the system.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ns+CDQ3X.html#

so if i was to use say this cxover for high/mrange/midbass and run 3 50x2 amps and 1x400w amp for subs running the crossover here set at say 2k-up for tweeters, 400-4k for midranges, 70-200hz for midbass to the three amps would this work right?

Im basicvaly asking what electronic crossover would i want to take the place of a crossover system that comes with say the focal utopias

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091NO7/...l?tp=106&avf=N

as in i can cut the highs, midrangae, midbass and so on all at 18-24db slopes so i can run each set of speakers on its own amp at there own set freq from set hz to set hz

there are alot of audiocontrol xovers but im not sure what unit is what i would want or if a diff brand is best.

dont want to spend more than $300 btw

hope this makes sense

thanks guys
    Jason

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: using 3-4 amps and an electric xover at 18-24db instead of passive xovers?

:d:d

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

come on guys what electric crossover for setting tweeters, midrange band, midbass band and subwoofer?

well subwoofer really isnt a must as i can use preout form my eclipse headunit for that amp but i need to crossover my tweeters at 2k at 18-24db, my mids at 400-4k at 18db and midbass at 80-800hz.

I know of crossovers that set the tweeters but i have to be able to set the midrange electronicly as they are really bad at anything above 4k and cant handle below 400mhz well in the setup im using. so the xover must set a select bandwith for midrange/midbass with a min and max freq

mcsoul is offline such is life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Take your $300, sell your head unit (another $50?) and then buy
    a head unit that can do 3-way active, even a used one would do.
    Alpine 9835 9855 9887 9815, Pioneer 880 800, eclipse 8455 7200MkII etc.

Mid Amp: Audison lrx 4.300 bridged 2x140w @ 8 ohms
    Doors: 24ft Damplifier Pro, Second Skin D-flex pads, eggcrate foam, sealed up.
    Tweeter: SEAS 27TFFNC
    High Amp: Audison Lrx-2.150
    Subs: Two RE SE 12 d4's
    Box: 4 cubes net at 30hz
    Sub Amp: Sound Stream Van Gough 1600.2
    Electrical: Knu Flex 1/0, Batcap 2000 in back
    Rear Deck: No 6x9's just holes and grills

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have an eclipse anv52d i havent looked into built in crossovers in head units tho wouldnt think a highend system would use a xover inside a headunit even a topend headunit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmouse57 View Post
    I have an eclipse anv52d i havent looked into built in crossovers in head units tho wouldnt think a highend system would use a xover inside a headunit even a topend headunit
    That's a decent deck, but it does not have active 3-way or adjustable time alignment. You could buy amps, such as the audison Lrx series, that have fully adjustable 12 or 24db bandpass crossovers with full or bp line outs so you can daisy chain them. You will still lack time alignment. On HU T/A processing/crossover/EQ is generally superior to $300 off board crossover/light eq.

To compete with the quality of a $5000 utopia set with a budget of $300 is not reasonable. I can take solace in the fact that you probably never have and never will hear the utopias in person and nether will I.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

oh what i was refering to in the utopia unit isnt the time alighnment but the 3 way network that crosses over the highs, midrange and midbass at 24db.

Ive always ran component sets that are 2 way so ive never really crossed over a midrange at say just 400 to 4k if ive ran a 4in midrange in the past its ran say 400mhz-20k hz or whatevr it would reach on its own. doing this wasnt to bad but id get alot of crosstalk like issues with the midrange playing 8k hz when it really should be stopped at 2-4k hz with a crossover.

I can either at this point buy a topend $600-$1600 3 way set that has sound matched speakers and crosdsovers for 1 two channel amp to power

or i can pick a tweeter a midrange and a midbass run with 3 diff amps or 1 6 channel as long as the amp/amps i pick can crossover the way a 3 way network would or i can buy the aftermarket soundprocessor/crossover to do this for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It sounds like you need an Audison Bit-one or similar. MAybe you can go with the zapco amps that have a computer interface.

Closed Thread

User Tag List