Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Amp too powerful?

i got infinity kappa 6x9's that handle 110 watts RMS. I got a profile amp giving them 100 watts rms. I blew the speakers now and i was thinking maybe the amp is too powerful? you think i should get an amp that only gives them like 80 watts rms?

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Amp too powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmafioso04
    i got infinity kappa 6x9's that handle 110 watts RMS. I got a profile amp giving them 100 watts rms. I blew the speakers now and i was thinking maybe the amp is too powerful? you think i should get an amp that only gives them like 80 watts rms?
    your problem isn't power it's distortion and or clipping. i know for a fact those speakers will handle 110 watts of clean power but, on the downside of that they will distort and sound like ***. with yor profile amp you probably sent a clipped signal to your speakers which means instead of 100rms they saw like 500rms which they can't handle thermally or mechanically. anyway, turn your gains down and keep that amp, when you notice distorion in your speakers turn it down. be safe not a volume master and you should be fine.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

mrmafioso04 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ahaha 500 watts rms? i dont think so!! But i sent them back for a fresh pair of those 6x9's so when they come back i will try it with the gain all the way down! thanx, yeah i do remember i turned the gain up high to get those speakers pounding oops

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrmafioso04
    ahaha 500 watts rms? i dont think so!! But i sent them back for a fresh pair of those 6x9's so when they come back i will try it with the gain all the way down! thanx, yeah i do remember i turned the gain up high to get those speakers pounding oops
    if you clipped the speakers with a clipped signal from the amp, then yeah they probably saw 500rms for a split second which could have caused issues. generally clipping will be a very bad thing unless you do it on purpose at comps with speakers that can handle that power thermally for a few seconds.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

infrabass is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what about having them filtered, you sure they aren't recieving some sub bass which might hurt them, my friend had some problems with his speakers when they had some low frequencies coming out of them. just a suggestion

mrmafioso04 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

there is a filter of high pass, low pass and full on the amp. I had the filter set to full!

Closed Thread