Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Are 90% Of Today's Car Amps The Same

What is everyone's opinion on car amps today as far as the internals and identical build with other manufacturers? With the majority of today's amps made in Korea, China, Taiwan, Thailand, whose amps are the same and whose are different? The majority of todays amps seem to have Zenon built circuit boards.

Sundown, RD Audio, Atomic and American Bass have the same internals.
    Audioque, Hifonics, DD look very similiar on the inside.
    Exonic car audio and MTX amps are built in the same buildhouse in Korea.

Arc Audio SE is designed by Robert Zeff.
    Steven Mantz (ZED Audio) designs his own amps.
    Rockford Fosgate has their own engineers.

Gunz4me what do you think?

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2-SQ Q4-90 on Crssfre Sprates- SQ Q1-1200.1 on RF T1 15@34hz
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1-Dmnd D1 300.4 on Crssfre Separates-Dmnd D3 800.1 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

thegreatestpenn is offline lazy genius

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Re: Are 90% Of Today's Car Amps The Same

same? no. Similar, yes very much so

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/401249-thegreatestpenn-feedback-thread.html
    2k2 honda civic
    summer build
    audison sr4 on focal polyglass 165vb components active
    soundstream rubi1.2500d on dc lvl4 xl 18
    pioneer deh-80prs

mokedaddy is offline professional idiot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My head hurts.

'a man without enemies, is a man without character'

RidnClean is offline Love 4 Money

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

this could be a good convo or a very bad one.

Team Shok Industries / Team NWSPL / Team XS Power / Team Vertex Audio / Team Sundown

Feedback Thread, if you've dealt with me, please leave some!
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/459566-ridncleans-feedback-thread.html

mokedaddy is offline professional idiot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RidnClean View Post
    this could be a good convo or a very bad one.
    I will give you one guess....

'a man without enemies, is a man without character'

gunz4me is offline Goodbye!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Same as in a name on a heatsink for a cookie cutter amp that was built by Zenon or some other overseas build house? Granted, some of those overseas amps have better components than others, but for the most part, I dub them as part of the "me too" crowd.

The Class D amps manufactured today DO make some serious power compared to the Class AB amps that were popular in my younger years. Some would argue that the manufacturing process is now "better" due to high speed placement of the components and wave soldering techniques utilized by those build houses versus the old school hand made techniques. I would argue that the manufacturing process is "better" in that moving production overseas resulted in a lower cost per unit.

Unfortunately, MANY of the currently available amplifiers in the United States are just names on a heat sink. They are designed overseas and merely marketed here (i.e. Memphis Car Audio or insert ca.com boner product of the moment here). While some may take this as a dig, I really can't fault them. How else are those companies going to compete in today's market where everyone wants the most power for the least amount of money? The majority of the worldwide consumers demanded "cheaper" power and they got exactly what they wanted... A monopoly on the build houses and cheaper, me too, cookie cutter, carbon copy, amplifiers with the same basic overall circuit board layout!

Goodbye pudknockers.

Cameron_B is offline Single Cab Loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    Same as in a name on a heatsink for a cookie cutter amp that was built by Zenon or some other overseas build house? Granted, some of those overseas amps have better components than others, but for the most part, I dub them as part of the "me too" crowd.

The Class D amps manufactured today DO make some serious power compared to the Class AB amps that were popular in my younger years. Some would argue that the manufacturing process is now "better" due to high speed placement of the components and wave soldering techniques utilized by those build houses versus the old school hand made techniques. I would argue that the manufacturing process is "better" in that moving production overseas resulted in a lower cost per unit.

Unfortunately, MANY of the currently available amplifiers in the United States are just names on a heat sink. They are designed overseas and merely marketed here (i.e. Memphis Car Audio or insert ca.com boner product of the moment here). While some may take this as a dig, I really can't fault them. How else are those companies going to compete in today's market where everyone wants the most power for the least amount of money? The majority of the worldwide consumers demanded "cheaper" power and they got exactly what they wanted... A monopoly on the build houses and cheaper, me too, cookie cutter, carbon copy, amplifiers with the same basic overall circuit board layout!
    Yo dawg, the is, you be tellin it like it

Past scores-

2x re SE + aq2200 2.8 SEALED in 1995 Camaro

Custom PSI 10" 5.25 depth ported aq2200 1994 ford ranger

RE SR 10" on ED 9.2x 1994 ford ranger ported

Grinder1989 is offline Sundown Audio Dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Like no one has heard this speech before Maybe every company should lose money to make one person happy.

North Coast Improvements, Mobile Audio Division. Sundown Audio Dealer Akron, OH. Need BNIB audio? PM me for details.

By: N.G.U Graphics

stuckinok is offline Sick My Duck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Me personally I dont care. Then again I dont let myself get caught up in Market or forum hype. I look at Bang for the buck/ Customer Service/ Clean signal. I have a small collection of amps that span from TRU all the way down to BOSS. I have found that all that matters to me is that the amp puts out rated power and quality parts are used.

Team High Desert Mobile Electronics ABQ, NM

10. Likes cleansoundzz liked this post
    AudioXtremes is offline Team FatStig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I wouldn't say 90%, but it's a large percent made by a handful of companies.

TEAM FATSTIG
    Cause I just gotta be me!

gunz4me is offline Goodbye!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder1989 View Post
    Like no one has heard this speech before Maybe every company should lose money to make one person happy.
    One of the things that I would be worried about if I marketed those build house amps is what would happen to my business if Zenon flooded the US Domestic Market with their generic amps and sold them for build cost plus 5 or 10%? DO NOT underestimate the greed of these build houses!

My other concern is that with so few companies designing 12 volt electronics is that we as consumers will ultimately suffer. With all these advances in technology we should be running fiber optic connections from our head units to our amplifiers for the utmost in pure signal, yet we are still running basterdized RCA cables Also, why don't we have real time equalization or active noise canceling for the ultimate in SQ while traveling down the highway at 70 MPH? Sadly, instead of going radical and developing a new and exciting revolutionary product, these build houses just keep modifying the hell out of existing designs

Goodbye pudknockers.

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    661 Post(s)

back in the 90's at least 50% of the amps were ZED made...RODEK...Hifonics.....Autotek....Lanzar..... Planet Audio....and numerous others....

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Grinder1989 is offline Sundown Audio Dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One of the things that I would be worried about if I marketed those build house amps is what would happen to my business if Zenon flooded the US Domestic Market with their generic amps and sold them for build cost plus 5 or 10%? DO NOT underestimate the greed of these build houses!

My other concern is that with so few companies designing 12 volt electronics is that we as consumers will ultimately suffer. With all these advances in technology we should be running fiber optic connections from our head units to our amplifiers for the utmost in pure signal, yet we are still running basterdized RCA cables Also, why don't we have real time equalization or active noise canceling for the ultimate in SQ while traveling down the highway at 70 MPH? Sadly, instead of going radical and developing a new and exciting revolutionary product, these build houses just keep modifying the hell out of existing designs
    And they do that to MAKE MONEY! If they are making a ton of money on an exsisting product, then why the hell should they change it?

North Coast Improvements, Mobile Audio Division. Sundown Audio Dealer Akron, OH. Need BNIB audio? PM me for details.

By: N.G.U Graphics

ado
    ado is offline Go Boilers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is kind of like vehicles though. They all have a body, wheels, tires, engines, transmissions. Depending on what you buy you will get a longer or shorter life span and more or less retail value after it has been used. All amps will have the same components because they are just that, amplifiers. The quality of the components and minor design tweeks are what separates most companies.

2003 Chevy Silverado
    Alpine 9887 w/ Ipod
    Alipine SPX-17PRO - Front Doors
    Alpine SPR-57C - Rear Doors
    Kicker ZX650.4 - Mid/Highs Amp
    Fi Q 12" in 2.1 cu. ft. @ 36 hz
    Sundown SAZ-1500D - Sub Amp
    Yellow top under the hood
    HC800 in back

Bought From: dreid, speedfreak28, sundownz

Ebay Feedback

cleansoundzz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder1989 View Post
    And they do that to MAKE MONEY! If they are making a ton of money on an exsisting product, then why the hell should they change it?
    Because eventually if the products do not last people will not buy them after a while.

02 4-Runner-Alpe CDE-HD148BT-Acntrl 3.2-SQ Q4-90 on Crssfre Sprates- SQ Q1-1200.1 on RF T1 15@34hz
    90 300zx-Alpe CDE-147BT-Acntrl 3.1-Dmnd D1 300.4 on Crssfre Separates-Dmnd D3 800.1 on NVX XQW104 @35hz

REFERENCES: BEATNOUTDAFRAME, VIVEET, CX-7HEAVEN, GMAN42, SUNDOWNZ, ZERMELO, M3NTAL, GAM3OVR, HEMI=22s, PROJECTPECKIN, KRISFNBZ, WHEELIEKING71, MR. RONIN-2U, ROBERTQ, DJM4RSHM21LOW, BLACKBONNIE, GYMFREAK101, STUCKINOK, SIACARMAN, ONEINTHESAC, 97SRAD750, ETC AND MANY MANY MORE[/FONT]
    Formerly cleansoundz

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

User Tag List