Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need help choosing an amp

I have the Alpine-9815 head unit and am getting Boston Acoustics RC520 components in the front and RM9's in the rear. Now comes the amp. I have been seriously interested in the Alpine MRV-F340 (55 x 4 RMS). However, are there other quality amps out there? What about Kicker or MTX? My concern is that the head unit produces 27 RMS so will I notice a big difference with 55 RMS or should I get maybe an amp that produces at least 75 RMS?

Also, what are your thoughts on purchasing from ebay? The Alpine MRV-F340 is $400 in stores yet people are selling supposedly new for $188 on ebay. That sounds fishy to me. Any experience with buying from online auctions?

da12b is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need help choosing an amp

As for me, I have an MTX 5-channel amp. If your concern is about power, this is one amp I would recommend. If you look at the specs, it is 25w x 4 into 4 ohms and 100w x 1 into 4 ohms -OR- 50w into 2 ohms and 200w into 2 ohms. It is tested at almost double it's rated power output at 12.5 volts RMS. As for what I running my amp at is...tested 57w x 4 into 4 ohms (front and rear speakers), 389w x 1 into 2 ohms (12 in. sub) at 12.5 volts RMS. For the price (about $500.00 at a car audio shop on Maui) it is reasonable.

I play my music (Top 40s music) LOUD at times...I had it blasting of about 45 min. to an hour while driving. The amp was not HOT at all. It was warm to the touch.

I know that there are people that will disagree with me, but this amp (TO ME) is a very good amp. I would recommend for you to do your "homework" on this amp.

AND GET THIS AMP!!!!!!

Ride: 1998 Honda Accord EX Coupe
    HU: Alpine DVA-9681
    Epicenter (in dash)
    Aphex Processer by Kove Audio
    Capacitor: 1 Frad Rockford Fosgate (monitor top)
    Amp: MTX 405 (5-ch.)
    Front: Boston Acoustics Pro60
    Rear: Boston Acoustics SX95
    Sub: 1 (one) Eclipse SW8122DVC (12 in. sub)

Added the "BIG 3"
    Load Boss Alternator (180 Amps)
    One HC1400 Kinetik Battery (using as main battery)

DJWeb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you buy an amp from Ebay, I would say, Buy off a powerseller or a store.. Eh, Just to be on the safe side.
    I buy off Ebay all the time, But, Only from store's...

Some of the seller's just take your money, Or send you an amp that don't work at all..

-Naviss

MTX BUMPA is offline JL Runnin' MTX Bumpin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ebay is the best place to buy from if you are smart, look at the seller's rating and feedback... if its lower than 85% or so, dont even bother.. but buying off ebay is the cheapest way to go, just make sure it says "brand new" in the title or description, pluse dont forget about warranties.. if you buy from auctions, a lot of times they dont include warranties, but a lot of times they do.. if you hook your stuff up correctly, you should very rarely ever need a warranty...

Price does NOT matter.. if your system is clean, loud, and could make me puke.. you got my props

Lusso5 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gobbleman
    I have the Alpine-9815 head unit and am getting Boston Acoustics RC520 components in the front and RM9's in the rear. Now comes the amp. I have been seriously interested in the Alpine MRV-F340 (55 x 4 RMS). However, are there other quality amps out there? What about Kicker or MTX? My concern is that the head unit produces 27 RMS so will I notice a big difference with 55 RMS or should I get maybe an amp that produces at least 75 RMS?

Also, what are your thoughts on purchasing from ebay? The Alpine MRV-F340 is $400 in stores yet people are selling supposedly new for $188 on ebay. That sounds fishy to me. Any experience with buying from online auctions?
    Your head-unit puts out "low-current" wattage. Even a cheap external amp of 25w RMS will outperform your headunit, so don't compare its RMS ratings to that of any amp you are purchasing.

I would recommend the Zapco 360 to power your f/r channels. If buying eBay/used, make sure it comes with the symblink.

If you're budget conscious - For a "best-buy", I'd go with the RUBICON RUB600-4 at www.millionbuy.com .

MTX - I have no expereince with MTX amps, so I can't comment, but I bet there are many MTX-owners here.

Kicker - A friend of mine, who is a Kicker retailer, told me they've been having serious quality-issues with the KX 4-channel amps. I would investigate this, with retailers, before you make a purchase.

jemorgan85 is offline SPL Tactician

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

X-tant 4 channels are on sale at sounddomain.com

Team Gates

Audio Answers Writer: www.mycarjams.com

2002 SVT Focus
    Head Unit: Pioneer 8600
    Front stage: nothin
    Front Stage Amplification: nothin
    Low End: preparing for next season...

AIM: jemorgan85

Trixter is offline Keepin it Simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a pair of 5.25" Boston Pros I put 100wrms to. They did fine. (Although I didn't like them and went with the MB's....personal taste.) I have been saying this to everyone...check out the Cadence amps! The A7hc I have is by far the best amp I have ever owned. They have low distortion (.005%) high SPL (>100) and are about 90%-95% efficient. Even at comp my amp has never gotten hot.

2006 Jeep Liberty
    Adire Audio, Cadence, Clarion, MB Quart

Lv = [(14630000 x R^2) / (Fb^2 x Vb)] - 1.463R
    *Vb = vol. in cu"
    **R = sq.rt. A / Pi (for square/slot port)

Closed Thread