Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need a little help deciding on an amp

VEfreak is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need a little help deciding on an amp

Hey, I'm new to car audio and I'm setting up a system for my truck so if you guys could help me that would be great. I'm limited to products that are available at best buy since my buddies wife gets FAT discounts there. The deck I think I'm going to get is the alpine 9886. I figure that i don't need the EQ capabilities of the 9887, and the 9887 is not available at best buy anyways so that makes my choice easy.

But for the amp, I want a 4 channel. I've been looking at the Rockford Fosgate - Punch 400W Class AB Bridgeable 4-Channel Amplifier but I have heard that RF's **** alot of power, overheat and shut down alot, and are made with outdated technology. But people I know absolutely love these amps.

Another amp I'm looking at is the Sony - Xplod 500W Bridgeable Multichannel Amplifier. It seems to have everything I want at a good price. I just don't know about sony quaity when it comes to amps and there was only one review on the best buy website.

The last amp I've been looking at is the Alpine - 200W Class A/B Bridgeable 4/3/2-Channel MOSFET Amplifier w/ Adjustable Crossover. The output seems a little weak to me and some people have reported that it doesn't have crystal clear sound, but some report that it does. Maybe some just set it up poorly. The big plus is the size of the unit and the general concensous is that these things never overheat, ever.

Wells those are basically my three choices. If anything jumps out at you guys just let me know. I listen to really mostly rock and metal, so bass isn't of huge importance to me. I might hook up a 10 inch later if I'm not satisfied. But the most important thing to me is crystal clarity on the mid and top end of the sound range.

Thanks in advance.

stocker08 is offline Drunk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need a little help deciding on an amp

Need more information. What kind of power are you looking to put out to each speaker? Do you have a nice set of components in mind or were you going to try sticking with stock speakers? Depending on what kind of discount you recieve, you would be much better off buying an amp from someone in the classifieds section of this fourm. Cheaper and better quality...

VEfreak is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess I gotta do some more research. I just want to be able to hear my music over the sound of my loud diesel engine in my poorly insulated truck. I'm not looking to do any kind of competition audio or anything, just set up a fairly nice system.

Varinabassing is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Rockford Amps are awesome I love my power t2000bd. I also liked my punch p500-2 Still have that if you maybe wanna look in to a 2 channel Works great and you really wont need anything special electrically to run it But what ever you do dont go sony explode worst brand out there to me anyway Pm me if you want that amp

Closed Thread