Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Avionixx 800.4...?

defiance is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Avionixx 800.4...?

Ok - I finally got subs on the way, now I'm thinking about amps. I've got a Kenwood 7201 (150x2, bridges to 460x1), and was planning on another of the same amp (mostly so that they'd be symmetrical). However, I'm looking at the Avionixx stuff and rethinking that. My speaker setup is a pair of eD 12k.44's and a Resolution 5-1/4 component set. I like simplicity, and that's another reason I'm reconsidering.
    What I've been thinking - run one 7201 4 ohm stereo to the components (150x2), the other 4 ohm bridged to the subs (they're a pair of 4 ohm dvc's). Both amps are A/B, so that puts me with two amps and a max current draw of around 120A.
    However, if I were to just switch to a single Avionixx800.4, it's actually a lower power rating (125 instead of 150 per, and 400 instead of 460 bridged), but I could do both sets in one single amp, thus simplifying things a good bit, and the amp efficiency is going to go up significantly, reducing current needs. Plus, to top that off, the Avionixx is rated at lower supply voltage, so it's power is at least equal to the two Kenwoods.
    Of course, the main disadvantage here is that I've already got one of the kenwoods. I can get another Kenwood for $130 or so, whereas the Avionixx is going to be a good $285. I can sell my old (new condition) kenwood for $75 or so, so that brings the difference down to $80-$100.
    So... I'm kinda teetering here. $80-$100 for a bit of an increase in power probably, a bit of a decrease in current draw, and a bit more simplicity... I'm not completely sure whether it's worth it or not, to me.
    Can anyone think of anything I'm not taking into consieration? Are there other advantages to either setup that I've missed?
    Oh - and one more thing - anyone with a success story with an Avionixx amp, please do post. I did a search on Avionixx and keep coming across these posts about the tripath chip coming loose... I know, more people happy than unhappy and all that jazz, plus I've already been very impressed with eD's service (that's another story), but I had to filter through a bunch of those posts, and really didn't see many happy posts...

FalconXtreme is offline Wheres my pants?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Avionixx 800.4...?

just out of curiosity...are u a member of any paintball boards?

defiance is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Avionixx 800.4...?

Heh... Yeah, pbnation, doc's, automags.org, used to be a moderator at pbcity, til it crashed & burned - If you're familiar with the bushmaster, I made the chaos chips... I also wrote the first Intimidator FAQ (though that thing is **BADLY** out of date now).

FalconXtreme is offline Wheres my pants?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea i knew it was u. i was on pbc, ao, pbnation, and a lil bit of docs. i had a 3rd gen bushy and read all ur crap. this is cool though welcome aboard.

Closed Thread