Closed Thread

Reload Thread: I've got a Sony XPlod 700 watt max sub and a Rockford Fosgate 401S amp

Dupo24 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got a Sony XPlod 700 watt max sub and a Rockford Fosgate 401S amp

Will this sound fine together? Will the 1200 max blow the 700 watt sub? The guy at the store seemed to think it would work okay, but I'm not for sure if I believe him.
    Dupo

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: I've got a Sony XPlod 700 watt max sub and a Rockford Fosgate 401S amp

Quote Originally Posted by Dupo24
    Will this sound fine together? Will the 1200 max blow the 700 watt sub? The guy at the store seemed to think it would work okay, but I'm not for sure if I believe him.
    Dupo
    ehh whats ur price range for subs and amp. We can suggest u something muuuch bettter. Rockford amps are decent but waaaay overpriced. And explode subs.....no comment

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

JaJay721 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope you didn't already pay for that setup. If you did make sure to turn the gains down on the amp to about halfway.

Your 700 watt sub can probably only handle 600 watt at the very most. I wouldn't even push it that much for everyday use. Why buy a 1200 watt amp for that sub? You could have saved some money with a 600 watt amp.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I heard that when it is bridged (like I have it now), it only pushes out 400 watts? what's that about? I've got the gains up pretty far, and it seems to work great. How do you get all 1200 watts out of one channel?

Dupo

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Xplod is the XSL1036.

High-rigidity compound polypropylene cone
    Santoprene rubber surround
    Frequency response 25-2,800 Hz
    Power range 40-250 watts RMS
    Peak power handling 700 watts
    Sensitivity 88 dB
    Top-mount depth 5-1/2"
    Recommended sealed box volume 0.7 cu. ft.

I don't see what the big deal is, if the amp puts out 415(or as it says on the Punch Verification Certificate 441watts) why can't I run it a little high if the sub can handle 700 max? If 441 is the max it can put out, then even if I turn the gains up all the way, the amp cannot put out more than 441, so I'm safe, right? I need a bit of clearing up on this. If the sub can handle 250 RMS, then if I don't turn the gains all the way up, the sub can only push out 220 watts at max volume if the gains are halfway, right?

Dupo

kingpin_jeffie is offline i need a vacation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The only problem is that the peak power rating means almost nothing. It just tells you how much the sub could handle for an extremely short amount of time.

The important thing to look at is the RMS of the sub. This is how much power you can throw at it all day with no problem. So you see your amp puts out 441 wRMS @4 mono but your sub will only handle 250 wRMS.

Now if you had a higher quality sub then you could consider going over the RMS rating but in your case I would be careful about putting even 200 watts on it.

However, you may be able to get away with it by setting your gains correctly and possibly altering the box size.

Eclipse 8445|Alpine Type X 137r|Diamond D5 300.2/1200.1|ID 10v.3|

Refs: KARLEON, sephiroth619, SiX, Showrides, angrytrucker78, davidfre21, Relax, Slammed

He who laughs last is usually the slowest...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    how do I test the wattage coming out of the sub? I had a 480 watt sony xplod amp that worked just fine, but it got too hot and the protection kicked in. I bought the 401s amp with the intention that I could run the sub fine, but since the amp had more power, then the amp wouldn't need use all of it, resulting in the cooler running amp.
    How do I set the gains and test the voltages/RMS watts from the amp/head unit?

urwhatueati8god is offline He tasted like chicken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how do I test the wattage coming out of the sub? I had a 480 watt sony xplod amp that worked just fine, but it got too hot and the protection kicked in. I bought the 401s amp with the intention that I could run the sub fine, but since the amp had more power, then the amp wouldn't need use all of it, resulting in the cooler running amp.
    How do I set the gains and test the voltages/RMS watts from the amp/head unit?
    Earth calling: X-plod's ****.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    maybe i can't afford anything better. Maybe I picked this one up as an open box display for 19.99, and maybe I can't afford a $90 sub. The amp was sort of a gift from a friend and he put $185 in it for a Sony XPlod 480 watt amp. Maybe I took it back and got a RF 401s open box display for an extra $20. Can't i just get some advice on what I can do with what I got here instead of people that can afford a 2400 watt amp with 4 15 inch subs and a $900 head system telling me that my sound system *****. Maybe it does ****, but for me, it is better than the stupid OEM crap in it.

Dupo

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jmac, i wasn't referring to you. I do appreciate the time that you are taking to help me out.

I have the AIWA CDC-X227 cd player, a Sony Xplod XSL1036, and a Rockford Fosgate 401S.

I built the enclosure myself(saving myself money) I have a regular airtight box with a port in the side of it. The box is 1.5x1x1 giving me the 1.5 cubic feet of room I need.

Dupo

urwhatueati8god is offline He tasted like chicken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

maybe i can't afford anything better. Maybe I picked this one up as an open box display for 19.99
    Well in that case, GDI how did you pull that one!?

Closed Thread