Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Power Acoustik Pa-ov4-840 4 Channel Car Amp

bobl61 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Power Acoustik Pa-ov4-840 4 Channel Car Amp

Hi Gang,
    I'm looking to add an AMP for My 2007 Saturn VUE with factory stereo. I have a bandpass box with 2 10" subs. I would like to power the 4 speakers and the sub box. I've replaced the factory speakers with Blaupunkt up front and kickers in the rear. I'm looking at the POWER ACOUSTIK PA-OV4-840 4 CHANNEL CAR AMP. Is this a good choice? I'm sure the factory stereo doesn't have any RCA plugs, so will something like the JL AUDIO CLEANSWEEP do?

Thanks

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Power Acoustik Pa-ov4-840 4 Channel Car Amp

I guess it would work if you're REALLY tight on money. You'd have to run the 4 speakers on 2 channels and both subs off the other two.
    A few problems with that though...you wouldn't get more than ~75w to each sub which won't be enough to get much out of them. You won't be able to fade between front and rear speakers - just speakers/subs. AND you MIGHT have thermal issues with a lower quality amp like that because you would be running it at its lowest stable impedance.
    BTW - how is the sub enclosure set up? Does it have two speaker connections? 4 ohms each? One connection? 2 ohms?

That amp would be more effective for either the speakers OR the subs (bridged), but it's not going to give you much if you try to use it for everything.

I would suggest either looking for a 5 ch amp or considering a 2 amp set up.

Without knowing what processing your factory stereo there's no way to know if you need a component like the clean sweep. You might be able to just use some line output converters.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n2audio View Post
    BTW - how is the sub enclosure set up? Does it have two speaker connections? 4 ohms each? One connection? 2 ohms?

I would suggest either looking for a 5 ch amp or considering a 2 amp set up.

Without knowing what processing your factory stereo there's no way to know if you need a component like the clean sweep. You might be able to just use some line output converters.
    Thanks for the quick reply. The sub has 2 speaker connections. Is there any way to find out about the factory stereo processing?
    Would this be a better AMP solution? Crunch P5000.5

rocgalant is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I should be getting that amp on Thursday. I'm going to be running it to tweeters in the dash, front doors, and rear deck. I will run the tweeters and front doors parallel (2 ohm at the amp) and the rear deck straight up (4 ohm at the amp).If you're looking at PA and Crunch, I'm guessing you don't have much to spend like me, otherwise I would suggest like n2audio that you go with a 5 ch amp. REally depends on how much power your're talking about. Blaupunkt has a 5 ch amp running 55 watts RMS x 4 + 200 watts RMS at 4 ohms (65 watts RMS x 4 + 250 watts RMS at 2 ohms). But it's like $300. If you need more than that and you can't spend too much, Crunch has the P5000.5 running 4 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan. + 300 x 1. I think PA and Crunch inflate their numbers though take these lower level brands ratings with a grain of salt.
    How much power you talking?

Cleansweep-wise? I think for the price, you might as well get a new HU unless you just have to keep the factory radio.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocgalant View Post
    Cleansweep-wise? I think for the price, you might as well get a new HU unless you just have to keep the factory radio.
    The factory head unit actually sounds pretty good. If I do replace it, I have to get an OnStar adapter (like $200 just for the adapter) plus I'd lose the chime and the steering wheel volume control. I can get the CleanSweep for like $100...

Any feedback on this AMP VALOR AUDIO 2200w MAX ?
    Last edited by bobl61; 02-09-2009 at 10:57 PM.

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crunch is a common budget brand. The more common sibling company is Hifonics. You'd get good initail value out of that amp being as cheap as it is and capable of 700w or so optimally. The issue with amps of that level is always how long they will last. Without being abused it could last several years.

I don't kno jack about Valor but it does look like an interesting option among the budget amps.

It would still be good to know more specifics on your sub enclosure. If both terminals are 4 ohms you should be in good shape. If they're both 2 or 8 the power from the sub channel of those 5 channel amps will be reduced quite a bit.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n2audio View Post
    It would still be good to know more specifics on your sub enclosure. If both terminals are 4 ohms you should be in good shape. If they're both 2 or 8 the power from the sub channel of those 5 channel amps will be reduced quite a bit.
    All I know about the box is that it has 2 10" Jensen XS subs...

rocgalant is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=bobl61;5817804]The factory head unit actually sounds pretty good. If I do replace it, I have to get an OnStar adapter (like $200 just for the adapter) plus I'd lose the chime and the steering wheel volume control. I can get the CleanSweep for like $100...QUOTE]

I hear you. The new integrated systems that car makers are using is annoying. Maybe you can check out companies like Metra - metraonline.com , PAC for a harness to fix that if you think about a HU down the road. But if you can get a cleansweep for $100, that may be as good as a new HU I guess. Good luck.

From what I have seen about Valor, it looks like another budget company like the Crunches, Power Acoustiks, Jensens of the world. I think I would put these brands like one step above the Visoniks and Boss' of the world.

Closed Thread