Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

amp running at 1ohm vs 2ohms vs 4ohms etc. load

ok so here's the set up: i have kicker zr1000 amp and 1000 watt sub/s wire to 4ohm load which the amp will put out 1000 watts. let's say another amp of the same wattage but get 1000watt at 2 ohm load and same sub/s also wired to 2 ohm.

or something like this

1000 watt amp + 1000 watt sub/s @4ohms
    1000 watt amp + 1000 watt sub/s @2ohms
    1000 watt amp + 1000 watt sub/s @1ohm

so here's the question, is it better for your batteries/electrical/alternator and will it put LESS STRESS running at higher ohms or lower ohms? or since your wattage output is the same it wouldn't matter? what's the advantage when running subs at lower/higher 1-4 ohms if any?

boom24 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: amp running at 1ohm vs 2ohms vs 4ohms etc. load

well first off if iam correct ur zr1000 is rated at like 1000 at 2 ohms so running at 4ohms is prob like half that...also for ur ? well the lower the ohms are on the amp the more power its pushing which means more draw ,and running ur amp at lower ohms =more power to the subs

hope that helps

so here's the question, is it better for your batteries/electrical/alternator and will it put LESS STRESS running at higher ohms or lower ohms? or since your wattage output is the same it wouldn't matter? what's the advantage when running subs at lower/higher 1-4 ohms if any?

new spl build comeing..found a car that peaks abouve 60 hrz

build log
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/car-audio-build-logs-%2Anew%2A/462747-boom-24s-rebuild-again-4-15s.html

sold to {:C:} /dacheatham /uglydimple12/ negitive3five/ Beatnoutdaframe
    dm-auto mike/spl blazer/cris team act/
    ( scamers lexani2002(FROSTYZ3, RYAN CHRISITIANSON )
    traded with-f150john

Mass Car Audio is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtcxyooj View Post
    ok so here's the set up: i have kicker zr1000 amp and 1000 watt sub/s wire to 4ohm load which the amp will put out 1000 watts. let's say another amp of the same wattage but get 1000watt at 2 ohm load and same sub/s also wired to 2 ohm.

or something like this

If those amps all put out 1000watts at 1,2 0r 4 ohms they will all draw the same amount of current from your car's electrical. It puts more stress on the amplifier running at the lowest impedance load.

gunz4me is offline Goodbye!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In theory running your amplifier at a lower load stresses it more (already said), produces more heat, and generally reduces it's useful life due to being run harder.

Goodbye pudknockers.

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xtcxyooj View Post

If they're the same class there won't be much difference, but typically amps that are powerful at 4 ohms will be a/b, and those will be higher demand on your charging system than a class D that's 1000w at 1 or 2 ohms.

The advantage of running at low impedance is just power, and the fact that most amps that are high power/low impedance are also very efficient - at least compared to the average a/b.

gunz4me is offline Goodbye!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n2audio View Post
    If they're the same class there won't be much difference, but typically amps that are powerful at 4 ohms will be a/b, and those will be higher demand on your charging system than a class D that's 1000w at 1 or 2 ohms.
    I don't know if that is true in all cases though. Class D amps **** down a good bit of juice too. Granted, Class D amps generally do a better job with that current they pull, but some pull just as much, if not MORE at lower impedance loads than a higher quality Class A/B will pull @ 4 or 8 ohms.

Goodbye pudknockers.

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

The thing about a class D, is that even if it's IN-efficient for its class (say 65% - which is UNUSUALLY low), it will be the same or close to the same throughout its power range.

An EFFICIENT class a/b that's 65% or so at full power will be 30-40% at 1/2 volume.

I can't think of a single comparison that you'd have less current draw for any 1000w a/b vs any 1000w D, or at any other power level. I know JL's slash amps aren't very efficient at min impedance. Maybe there's an a/b somewhere that is close. Still - at anything less than full power the JL would be on top, no question.

xtcxyooj is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks that helped a lot. i asked because i was thinkin about sellin the amp and gettin a 1ohm stable.

Closed Thread

User Tag List