Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 149

Reload Thread: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

  1. #1
    dtbrown's Avatar
    dtbrown is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, il
    Age
    36
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    There is some misinformation out here about Stetsom Electronics and I wanted to share some information as to answer some questions or clear up any misinformation.

    Been in business since 1989

    All amplifiers designed, built and tested in house.

    We use only American Components, IR, Fairchild, Micrometals http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ , we do R&D for IR testing the latest mosfets out in the market.

    We use LITZ WIRE (384 enameled wires) on the output filters, its extremely expensive and the best you can use.

    We test our amplifiers directly on sun light in 100F+ temperatures running the amplifiers on CLIP and 9 hours straight.

    On our Digital line we have smaller amplifiers that produce big power due to the fact that we use 100AMP Mosfets instead of 40A or 50A.

    We bench test every amplifier that goes out on a bench with 2000AMPS of available amperage and a voltage availability up to 20V, from 0,5 ohm up to 8 ohms.

    And we love customer feed back or input on how to make our product better. Because we design, build and test all amplifiers in house, making changes or upgrades a product doesn't take that long and in a matter of speaking "easily done".

    This is just some information on our amplifiers and about Stetsom Electronics but please feel free to use this post to ask any questions regarding anything technical on the product line or about the company.



    So far loudest Toyota Yaris with two 10's.

    2008
    154.1 certified (new rules) on termlab Db Drag Street A. Equipment: DD 9510's and one Stetsom 7k2d on a small Stinger 1750
    2007
    155.3 on termlab Db Drag Street A 2007 WF 4th place. Equipment: DD 9510's and two Stetsom 7kd's with a Cacuts Sounds CS9000 Battery.




  2. #2
    lilmaniac2's Avatar
    lilmaniac2 is offline Ask Me about SI Mag V4!



    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere, Else
    Age
    27
    Posts
    15,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

  3. #3
    DBBOOM's Avatar
    DBBOOM is offline DWN4MYN



    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    3,630
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    Any 4 channel component amp plans?



    Natural selection at work.

  4. #4
    dB-r's Avatar
    dB-r is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    Not trying to hate on Stetsom, but I DO have a few questions regarding them as I have never had the oppurtunity to test one or work on one yet:


    1. Which mosfets are you referring to that are 100 amp rather than 40 or 50A? The power supply fets or are you talking output FETs. I have never seen a 100 amp output mosfet that I can recall browsing through mosfets anyway? If you mean 100 amp mosfets in the power supply, most all, probably 90% of modern amplifiers use 100 amp mosfets in the power supply these days, if not 100 amp, then no less than 60-70 amp, the only amps I have ever seen with 40-50amp mosfets are the el-cheapos from years back and really old amps because they didn't make 100 amp mosfets back then. Also that being said, most modern amplifiers that use mosfets in the output stage use various, from 11A to 53A that I have seen. Please do give some info on this as I am dying to know what is in those things (the stetsom amps) as I do not understand the power/weight ratio of those amps, seems like they would just burn up if you run them more than 15 minutes at full power. Some amps use the 169amp or maybe even the new 200amp mosfets that IR is putting out.

    2. Does the expensive wire for the output inductors become necessary for the great heat generated by the advertised output specs on these amps? Why such expensive wire?

    3. I would think the amp would thermal easily running into a lowest rated impedance load in 100+degrees F. Do you remove the thermal protection for those tests?

    4. You say american mosfets, but aren't all IR mosfets made in Mexico? Just wondering because all of them I have ever purchased say Origin: Mexico. Nothing wrong with that, as I believe IR is the best choice for mosfets.

    5. Since 1989? Has it been called Stetsom all along? I thought I had heard the name before, as I have been into Car Audio since 1987.

    Please don't get mad at me, just answer my questions, I am not hating, just curious, and since you posted this here I figured I would ask here.




  5. #5
    sundownz's Avatar
    sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    Chris,

    I can answer the last one - they were in business in Brazil for years - just recently in the USA as far as I am aware.




  6. #6
    dB-r's Avatar
    dB-r is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    I have heard the name before I started doing repairs... I just don't recall when/where I heard it or saw it... Happens when you work on hundreds if not 1000 amps in the course of a year, lol....

    I do have questions as I don't understand these amps, they look similar to the soundigital amps but I really haven't looked that hard, and have never seen one in person (can someone please send me samples?). Seems like to me, that if you can get gobs of power out of such a small package amp, it would either a. thermal very quickly or b. be pushing the mosfets to their extreme limits, which could cause a shortened lifespan. or c. be a boatload (10%-20%) THD. Just curious what makes them tick. If noone will send me a sample I might just have to buy one and check it to see what makes them tick and post it here.




  7. #7
    Rashaddd's Avatar
    Rashaddd is offline Terrrrrist



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    5,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by dB-r View Post
    I have heard the name before I started doing repairs... I just don't recall when/where I heard it or saw it... Happens when you work on hundreds if not 1000 amps in the course of a year, lol....

    I do have questions as I don't understand these amps, they look similar to the soundigital amps but I really haven't looked that hard, and have never seen one in person (can someone please send me samples?). Seems like to me, that if you can get gobs of power out of such a small package amp, it would either a. thermal very quickly or b. be pushing the mosfets to their extreme limits, which could cause a shortened lifespan. or c. be a boatload (10%-20%) THD. Just curious what makes them tick. If noone will send me a sample I might just have to buy one and check it to see what makes them tick and post it here.
    And then when you're bored of it you can send it to me




    Refs: themommyvan, CharlieAnderson, bassknocker23, bigbirney420, wu501, _JaY_, lrc131, R/T Pimp, NeverEnuffBass, d-REW, slapmaster, headbussaboi, edzy, adio, 1ndatrunk, jfink, k_schutte, bigredhybrid, ARSkemp, s-saudio, pimpdaddyq, AudioFreak, scarolinablazin, ssackett, kylebechtold, craigzter, etc..................

  8. #8
    andrew2944r's Avatar
    andrew2944r is online now CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    Seems like to me, that if you can get gobs of power out of such a small package amp, it would either a. thermal very quickly


    I think thats why alot of people dont use these for streetbeat applications, from what I have read on forums... Thats the reason I didnt invest in Stetsom, but I could be wrong...



    TEAM XS POWER
    Team Ampere Audio
    Team Tantric

    http://amperecaraudio.com/

  9. #9
    dB-r's Avatar
    dB-r is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashaddd View Post
    And then when you're bored of it you can send it to me
    I don't know seems like if it's all that it's said to be I would want to keep it.... I know people have won comps with these things, but I hear they thermal easily. I am wondering if all that power coming out of those amps is sine or square wave.... I need one to test so I can see for myself.... could understand it doing a bazillion watts of square wave output, that's what mosfets do best, is square wave...




  10. #10
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    2. Does the expensive wire for the output inductors become necessary for the great heat generated by the advertised output specs on these amps? Why such expensive wire?
    I'm not sure if you'd get the same kind of benefits at audio frequencies (used to output transformers here ) but at least in my experience with RF, Litz does have useful properties in reducing losses in the toroids...not sure if you'd get the same higher-Q benefits at audio, though.




  11. #11
    scarolinablazin's Avatar
    scarolinablazin is offline You Can't Fix STUPID



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    the quality of the parts play a big role as well. if he's using American made parts they are going to be far superior to the chinese junk that companys like sundown etc use. therefore he is able to get better numbers. the fact that you have never even seen one also says they are better quality than others like sundown chinese crap.



    99oldsintrigue supports thieves and scammers = a scammer
    SEE THIS THREAD
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...35#post5660235
    99oldsintrigue supports thieves and scammers = a scammer
    Quote Originally Posted by 99oldsintrigue View Post
    LOOKOUT

    DONT BUY FROM Me

    I R SCAMMERZ

  12. #12
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by scarolinablazin View Post
    the quality of the parts play a big role as well. if he's using American made parts they are going to be far superior to the chinese junk that companys like sundown etc use. therefore he is able to get better numbers. the fact that you have never even seen one also says they are better quality than others like sundown chinese crap.
    Sundown's SAZ line isn't made in China, just FYI.




  13. #13
    captaincheesey's Avatar
    captaincheesey is online now Change is Inevitable



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    2,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    I want to see tests done by db-r. Would be good to see how these amps work seeing as they are uber small and put out large amounts of power.



    2002 Grand Prix GT
    Eclipse 7200 (Dead Head + Copper Plated Chassis + Time Alignment)
    HAT Clarus 5 1/4 mids
    Stock Tweets
    Highs Amp: Fultron 6 channel
    Subs: 12" DC Lvl4XL (x2)
    Sub Amp: Hifonics 2006D (temp)

  14. #14
    sundownz's Avatar
    sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by scarolinablazin View Post
    the quality of the parts play a big role as well. if he's using American made parts they are going to be far superior to the chinese junk that companys like sundown etc use. therefore he is able to get better numbers. the fact that you have never even seen one also says they are better quality than others like sundown chinese crap.
    The SAZ amps are Korean built.

    Chris being my official repair center of course sees any amp that is blown for any reason - I'm sure Stetsom has a repair center as well.




  15. #15
    njaykaplan's Avatar
    njaykaplan is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Palm beach, FL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Truth about Stetsom amplifiers

    About a year and a half ago, I believe Alex (DBDesignsElite) did a lot of testing on the stetsom and warned me (about my 2k6D from years ago) that the mosfets were working to their limits, and that it most likely would burn up rather quickly.. But i tested it on half ohm daily for a week, and didn't heat up too much, although I had used reducers to fit 0 gauge into the 4 gauge terminal.. Never cut out on me, and sounded louder to the ear than a pair of mtx 81001s strapped into an incredibly low load.. I sold the amplifier because i believe his experience with amps, as he does repairs as well, and I tend to abuse amplifiers, so i'd prefer to stick to sundown which enjoys it :-D.



    Quote Originally Posted by 02parkave View Post
    in conclusion, buy one, or jesus will kill a puppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSGP View Post
    im a veteran car audio guy and i've blown almost everything....
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Did I mention that Im working on uncovering a sinister plot that involves eD funding global terrorism, and an illegal dog fighting ring? Every eD purchase helps terrorists kill babies and little puppies.

    You really want that on your conscience?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum