Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Memphis PR1000 too much for 2 12" Type R's in a big box?

Bobyota is offline sportin ancient wang

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Memphis PR1000 too much for 2 12" Type R's in a big box?

I was looking at buying a 1000w (at 1 ohm) Memphis Power Reference amp and using two 12" Type R's in a sealed box that's about 4 ft^3.

Now I believe the R's are rated @ 300w rms.....but people say they can take more. Alpine recomends .7-1.0 ft^3 of space for each sub.....so it looks like my box would be about twice as big as they recomend. So that makes the situation worse right? Cause I hear people say the bigger the bo is, the less poewr you have to use.

So am I going extreme overkill here for these subs? Maybe 15" R's could handle this power and box better? Good thing there is the box I got was made for 15's and a piece of MDF was screwed over it to use 12's.....so I could use it for 15's again.

And the last thing....I want good SQ. My friend just swapped from 15's to 12's (Memphis PR's in the same box I'm talking about) and the SQ was better with the 12's. So do y'all think the 12" r's would offer much better sq than the 15's?

Thanks for helping me out again Maybe I'll finally get around to buying something soon

has sissy bass, needs monsta bass

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok that makes sense Jmac. Do you think the 4 ft^3 sealed box would be enough to make 15" r's sound good with that amp? I think alpine recomends 1.5-2.3 ft ^3 per sub.

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im sure the R's can handle it. The 15's for sure will handle it because theyr 500 rms. if ur gona get 12's just keep the gains down and ull be fine.

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac
    Should be alright. I'm not exactly familiar with good box sizes for 15s as I have little experience with them (Everyone always gets 12s and rarely do I see 10s and, even rarer, 15s). Usually Alpine recommends an enclosure that's on the small side for additional power handling capabilities, so I would think you'd be looking at a 0.85ish Qtc ... The computer I'm on won't read PDF files, so I can't check Qtc, but go to this site ...

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sld/sealed1.htm

And enter the required T/S Parameters and see what you get ...

Lower Qtc = better SQ
    Jmac, if I calculated correctly, I'd have .8 Qtc with ~4 ft^3 box. I believe that web page said .7 was a good #, but it must have been talking about home stereo because it said that a car sub box could use a larger #.

Are there any other #'s beside Qtc that correspond with SQ?

Is there anywhere I can gt definitions for some of these abreviations like Qtc, Vas, Fb, etc?

Thanks a lot for giving me that link Jmac.....I love to punch in #'s on a calculator.....must be my accountant mom's genes Got any more box building sites with good info I may wanna look at? Thanks a lot, you've been a big help
    Last edited by Bobyota; 07-21-2003 at 10:12 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks again Jmac. Maybe that almost .8 of QTC for the setup I wanted to run wouldn't be that great for me (wanting really good sq). The dual 2 ohm 15's wouldn't put the amp at 1 ohm to get the poer out of it. Thinking of building my own box with some 12 R's and about 600w. I'll punch some #'s in and see how that setup looks....

Closed Thread