Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Amp for 6.5" Components and a Single Sub?

Infinite42 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amp for 6.5" Components and a Single Sub?

I'm basically looking for a single amp to power everything I have (or will have). First of all, I have a Chrysler 300M, so it's a relatively long car that I need to fill sound with, although I'm definitely not looking to put up high SPL numbers. Right now I have a set of DEI Studio 6.5" components rated at 100w, and I'm still considering which sub to get (since it'll depend on how stable the amp is), though I'm 95% sure it'll be an IDQ or W3 since they're the only ones I'm familiar with from years ago! Of course, I'm open to suggestions on that front as well.

That said, I'd like to power everything with a single 4-channel amp. I'd like to get the components as close to 100 watts as possible, and I want as much power as I can get out of bridging the other two channels. So far, I've been considering a JBL GTO75.4 and a Kicker ZX650.4 - would anyone have any opinions on those or other recommendations for this kind of setup?

Also, smaller amps than the ones I listed would be preferable, but not sure if I can find that.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Amp for 6.5" Components and a Single Sub?

Arc audio ks 300.4. Does 90 watts rms x 4 at 4 ohms and would be an excellant one amp setup choice. I'm gettin mine for $299 and I can lead you in the right direction if you pm me.

jmaal13 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Too bad i didnt see this post, i just sold my entire system out of my 300m. I ended up with 6.5 components in the front and a 6x9 component set in the rear. I just wanted to fill all the factory locations at the time. Up front i had MB quart 6.5 component and mb quart 6x9 component in the rear on a Jl 450/4. My setup was different than yours because I also had a 2nd amp for my subs. The 300m is a tricky car to work with as far as subs go. As funny as it sounds, they did a really good job sealing off the cabin from the trunk which ended with me not getting the sound I wanted without putting more money/construction into the system. Oh well. Good luck neighbor.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys for your replies. jmaal, due to the ridiculously good deals offered here, I'm going to end up going with two amps. Also, can you explain further what you did construction-wise to get what you wanted? Doesn't sound promising!

TurdFergueson2 is offline Team D.O.A.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite42 View Post
    I'm basically looking for a single amp to power everything I have (or will have). First of all, I have a Chrysler 300M, so it's a relatively long car that I need to fill sound with, although I'm definitely not looking to put up high SPL numbers. Right now I have a set of DEI Studio 6.5" components rated at 100w, and I'm still considering which sub to get (since it'll depend on how stable the amp is), though I'm 95% sure it'll be an IDQ or W3 since they're the only ones I'm familiar with from years ago! Of course, I'm open to suggestions on that front as well.

That said, I'd like to power everything with a single 4-channel amp. I'd like to get the components as close to 100 watts as possible, and I want as much power as I can get out of bridging the other two channels. So far, I've been considering a JBL GTO75.4 and a Kicker ZX650.4 - would anyone have any opinions on those or other recommendations for this kind of setup?

Also, smaller amps than the ones I listed would be preferable, but not sure if I can find that.

Thanks!
    Dude. I have a 99 300M, I live in the Chi and I can pretty much tell you damm near everything about the car.

Sold to: Rc10Mike, Philpbak, pbnj123, WALKSUP, silvercookie, Sir Smoke Alot
    Bought from: Korn4life, chaunb3400, fasfocus, mlstrass, Bumpin Buick, wheeler8921, annarbor84

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_B View Post
    I pulled into the trailer park at around 3 am bumping my sony xplod 12 on sony amp. **** SLAMS!!!!!! Anways, I pulled up and it got all the girls wet.....I guess im an uncle and a dad now
    Don't listen to all the haters, their shiz doesnt knock...EDIT: Ohh yea, and by the way....before you haters start mouthing, I got my SLAB from wall-mart....that ish doesnt bang it XPLODES. Yea..I run sony... Schoche -SP box with 4 inch PVC downfiring into pasenger wheel well. 5-6 inch streamers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My setup consists of

Pioneer 800PRS
    AA poly 6.5 mids Seas Neo Tweeters (active)
    Alipine 6x9s for rear fill
    Eclipse XA4000
    Kicker kx200.2 powering the rears
    Audioque HDC315 sub
    Audioque 2200D sub amp
    Kicker 1/0 and 4 gauge wire
    250 amp Mechman alt.

I had my box custom built by a guy that lives near Great America. Well worth the trip just to shoot the **** with him.

I actually ran that zx650.4 before switching out to the Eclipse amp.

Try and come up with a budget and people can better work with you.

Bought from: Korn4life, chaunb3400, fasfocus, mlstrass, Bumpin Buick, wheeler8921, annarbor84

I pulled into the trailer park at around 3 am bumping my sony xplod 12 on sony amp. **** SLAMS!!!!!! Anways, I pulled up and it got all the girls wet.....I guess im an uncle and a dad now
    Don't listen to all the haters, their shiz doesnt knock...EDIT: Ohh yea, and by the way....before you haters start mouthing, I got my SLAB from wall-mart....that ish doesnt bang it XPLODES. Yea..I run sony... Schoche -SP box with 4 inch PVC downfiring into pasenger wheel well. 5-6 inch streamers...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for chiming in! After jmaal mentioned his 300m, I did a search on here of "300m" and came across quite a few of your posts! From reading some of these posts, I'm hoping it's not as hard as it seems to get decent output from the trunk...though I'm just looking for a bit of clean low end and probably have lower SPL requirements than most on here.

As for my budget, I actually just have the sub left to worry about. I'll have about 400w feeding whatever it ends up to be...I'm still thinking either an IDQ or W3. The more pressing issue for me is the enclosure - I stubbornly refuse to give up much trunk space, and I was looking to have a box built that basically juts out from the left side while still allowing for unrestricted access to the spare tire, etc. Because of this, I've even started to consider these shallow-mount subs that I pretty much know nothing about, outside of the Kenwood that I heard today belonging to a shop owner.

At any rate, I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions and appreciate any input you might have!

02accord is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you build the box right, the w3v3 will KILL.

Components: Morel Tempo 6
    Amp: Arc Audio KS 300.4

Refs: Carguy83, lyttleviet, khanhfat, anh721, jrgreene1968, wilson, brownmoses, kicker1984, liljojo4711

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite42 View Post
    Thanks for chiming in! After jmaal mentioned his 300m, I did a search on here of "300m" and came across quite a few of your posts! From reading some of these posts, I'm hoping it's not as hard as it seems to get decent output from the trunk...though I'm just looking for a bit of clean low end and probably have lower SPL requirements than most on here.

As for my budget, I actually just have the sub left to worry about. I'll have about 400w feeding whatever it ends up to be...I'm still thinking either an IDQ or W3. The more pressing issue for me is the enclosure - I stubbornly refuse to give up much trunk space, and I was looking to have a box built that basically juts out from the left side while still allowing for unrestricted access to the spare tire, etc. Because of this, I've even started to consider these shallow-mount subs that I pretty much know nothing about, outside of the Kenwood that I heard today belonging to a shop owner.

At any rate, I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions and appreciate any input you might have!
    My box takes up my whole trunk. I have a 15 in a 4.25 cube box. My setup is loud enough for me, but honestly 400 watts is not gonna cut it. Not saying you have to have 2200 watts like me, but I guess it depends on the music you listen to. I listen to mostly rap, but not that bass ****. I'm talking like the Roots, that use live instruments and old school artists. I'll throw Put on in there to demo it for somebody, but that's about it.

I was able to get 2 12s in a prefab box between spot that dips down between the back seats and the trunk. Let your back seat down and you will see what I mean. With that, I still had access to the spare tire well. I had my amps mounted on the back seats.

I guess I'm wrong to assume that because you want subs you listen to rap. But if you do listen to as much as me, you will find that 400 watts is mediocre.

I pretty much took my whole car apart so I can answer most of your questions. TO get to your rear 6x9s you have to remove the whole back seat and that carpeted thing covering them. I went to Walmart to get me dash and harness for the radio. It was like maybe 20 for both opposed to 20 something each at BB or CC.

What shops around the city were you looking at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like some of the other members mentioned, you must build the right box. My original setup was 500/1 and original W6. I ended up getting new equipment and went with the 1000/1 and 2 13w6v2. The box was built to spec but i think a different box would have given a little better performance. There were some other issues with my install that i didnt want to spend any more $ to fix. But that would be another thread, unless you want to know.

Louisiana_CRX is online now dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

A Memphis Belle would be nice....

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too wanted to save trunk space I ended up putting the amps on top of a donut spare, and put the box as far back as possible. Here are some pics, this is of before i got the 13w6 subs.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks again for your replies.

TF2, I listen to rap about 10% of the time...definitely not looking to turn heads or anything with my install. As for my power requirements, I'll just put it like this...if I was able to play MP3s and hook up an iPod on the factory stereo, I'd lean towards just keeping everything stock. But because I can't do that and a couple of the stock speakers were blown when I bought the car, I figured I'd just aim for a budget install - so long as I still have almost-full use of my trunk/fold-down seats. If I can't have a relatively unobtrusive sealed enclosure built for a 10 back there, then I'd even lean towards running nothing but components and 6x9s off a relatively small amp. As far as what shops I've looked at, pretty much just Sounds Deluxe by me in Hinsdale and ABC in Berwyn - I'm trying to keep this as budget-conscious as possible, so I'm only looking them to build the box.

jmaal, not being familiar with my car yet I suppose I'd like to know what the other issues were if I'd be likely to encounter the same/similar.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jmaal, looks great! That would have been ideal for me for even my last car, but now these fold-down seats really have spoiled me and I don't want to lose use of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Same here I made it easy enough to just unplug an pull the box out if i needed to move anything. If you want just the budget system, make due with what you got and everything should be fine. I would make sure you have good wiring just in case you change your mind though.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast