Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New to the Game need help

senorbob999 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New to the Game need help

Hi, my name is Phil. I just registered today and I have a question. Im completely clueless about amps and subs. Basically i want big noise without a big pricetag. I drive a 2003 chevy silverado extended cab. I bought and had installed a pioneer deh-p80mp deck a month ago. I replaced all the door speakers with boston acoustics speakers and components. the only thing i need now is a amp and subs. this is where im clueless. a friend of a friend sold me what i think is a good package combo but im not sure if i got my moneys worth or if i got ripped off. thats why im posting here with you guys. i need to know if what i bought is good or if its junk. I was told by the guy i bought the combo from that i would need to buld or have a sub box made for my truck that is made of something called MDF? and he also told me that i would need to run 0 gauge wire to the amp and a 3.0 capacitor? he told me all this but im clueless. the package he sold me is as follows:

Amp: clif designs cd-500A. it has 2 measuring meters on the front of it and the guy said it had dual amp fans built into it. i tried looking hte amp up online but i had no luck. does anyone know if this amp is good or not? ive looked in various audio forums and the rumours are that clif designs stuff is Sh*t. the guy said that it was a older amp but that it was when clif designs was actually good. IDK.

Subs: 2 rockford fosgate HX2's. he said that they were the rare 2000W max power subs and not the common 1000w HX2's. these things are massive and weigh about 40lbs each. he said they are dual voicecoil.

my question is: is this stuff any good or did i get ripped off? the guy said he was practically giving it away to me for what he sold it to me for. i bought the 3 items for $200. but he said that the wiring kit and custom box would cost well over than what i payed for the amp and subs. any info on the amp and subs or recomendations would be awesoem and highly highly apreciated. thanx

bonesninja is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New to the Game need help

clif designs is made/owned by anaba. Generally regarded as low quality stuff. It'll work for you but as you grow, you'll want better equipment. 200 ain't bad tho

Quote Originally Posted by chase007 View Post
    if u need a box...I'l taked 3 years of shop class so i know what im doing.

after i explained to him there's more to a proper box than boards and glue and he should practice before trying to sell boxes to others

yes personaly if it was some one elce that just starting making boxes but i'v taken shop for 3 years now...Making a lil box is nothing i don't need to pratice on a box to get it right i learned alot of stuff from 1 box and i can fix that in my next box
    after i told him that customers would care about the looks of the box

if u want some thing that looks pretty why don't u find a black guy with a big d*ck.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the gu i bought it from said that the amp is about 7 years old and i did a lil research and it was made well before anaba took over clif designs and md and the other company they own. he said that it is 1600w max power but that he had it sent in and clif designs tweaked it a lil and that it puts out close to 2200w. i finally found a google link with a lil info on the amp and the guy selling it wants over $1700 for it!!! the link is:

http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/prod...asp?prodID=719

avs20 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is an australian site..
    Here is some info on that amp:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ns+CD500A.html

Also, Ive seen those amps sold for $100-200 used before, so along with those subs Id say you got a great deal.

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
    HU: Eclipse 8443
    Box/Subs: Probox
    Sub Amp: Looking for 1k@1ohm.
    Components: RE Comps
    Component Amp: US Amps US150
    Alternator: 225 amp Iraggi

bonesninja is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by senorbob999 View Post
    the gu i bought it from said that the amp is about 7 years old and i did a lil research and it was made well before anaba took over clif designs and md and the other company they own. he said that it is 1600w max power but that he had it sent in and clif designs tweaked it a lil and that it puts out close to 2200w. i finally found a google link with a lil info on the amp and the guy selling it wants over $1700 for it!!! the link is:

http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/prod...asp?prodID=719
    yeah but he also wants 2800 for a kicker kx2500.1

if u need a box...I'l taked 3 years of shop class so i know what im doing.

after i explained to him there's more to a proper box than boards and glue and he should practice before trying to sell boxes to others

yes personaly if it was some one elce that just starting making boxes but i'v taken shop for 3 years now...Making a lil box is nothing i don't need to pratice on a box to get it right i learned alot of stuff from 1 box and i can fix that in my next box
    after i told him that customers would care about the looks of the box

if u want some thing that looks pretty why don't u find a black guy with a big d*ck.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so maybe its not the super amp that the guy who sold it to me says it is but do i really need 0 gauge wiring to power it? the kits are kinda pricey? and do i also need a 3.0 capacitor? what kind of sub box do you guys recommend i use? i have a 03 silverado ext cab so space is limited???

Closed Thread